PDA

View Full Version : ***boat insurance estimates??

Not So Fast
01-13-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm surprised nobody has commented on this months issue with the insurance estimates given on various test boats, especially the 3 deck boats tested. With a low of $2095 to a high of $3914 qouted I would find it hard to pay these amounts and would probably go the pontoon route. One had exotic power but two were stock Merc power, a 496 & a HP525 so they could stick those qoutes where the sun dont shine as far as I'm concerned. In the area of $3000 average, come on, get real. Guess I'll stay where I'm at for around $500 @year. :idea: NSF

blown65
01-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Ya, it sux. We prob wont get another boat just because of insurance. Got lucky and got ours covered for 1200 a yr but if we went now that company wouldnt even look at this type of boat again. :(
The two other quotes were 5-6k.

Kachina26
01-13-2007, 07:16 PM
***boat has a magazine?
HA! I was first :D

TheCarDudes
01-13-2007, 07:36 PM
I was able to get very reasonable coverage from State Farm.
Howard 28 Sport Deck
Gary Taylor TPI700
$1278 per year. NO LAY-UP.

BajaMike
01-13-2007, 07:41 PM
I didn't see the article....do they have any quotes on high perforance cats??:confused: I'm wondering what the cost must be for these 100 mph DCBs.......:idea:
:mad:

Kilrtoy
01-13-2007, 11:04 PM
I didn't see the article....do they have any quotes on high perforance cats??:confused: I'm wondering what the cost must be for these 100 mph DCBs.......:idea:
4K and up depends on how much over 100MPH and how long is your lay up

voodoomedman
01-13-2007, 11:39 PM
***boat has a magazine?
HA! I was first :D
RDSux
Actually I was first! :D

Not So Fast
01-14-2007, 07:54 AM
I dont know who this Wozencraft Agency is but the Next X265 with a 496HO is qouted at $2095 to $2979, are you kidding me:eek: Get real bud, you are crazy. I pay below $ 500 @year, maybe you made a MISTAKE in your qoute. His comment on securing your insurance BEFORE buying or at least seeing if the boat was insureable (sp) though was damn good advice IMO. NSF

Not So Fast
01-14-2007, 08:19 AM
They actually had a little inset box for all the individual boats they tested and most qoutes were outrageous, in fact unbelieveable. If indeed his qoutes are accurate then I predict the boating industry will fall on very hard times. Christ sakes, a deckboat with a 496HO at around $2500 @ year average, like I said, they are crazy. I would sell my boat IMMEDIATELY if this were the case and go with a nice pontoon boat, arghhh. Its a little different if you are a baller with a high powered cat then I think you expect this, but boats as described in this issue are everyday boats, well not quite but almost. Whoozycraft Agency would be a better name because they are delirious!! JMO NSF

catman-do
01-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Im a little over 900 per year for ours, with a 496HO. Thats also one of the reasons i didnt go to a 525. I dont NEED to do 85-90 at an initial cost of 15k, plus an additional cost of 1200+ per year in insurance and probably an extra hundred dollars a weekend for gas when i only go top speed every now-and-then.

Thorsinc
01-14-2007, 09:00 AM
I would like to see a comparison to the polices, Apples to apples on the boat, owners experience ect.. Just because some pays 1,200.00 year to say they have insurance what actually do they have vers a person that pay 3,400.00. I can’t comment on the article because I don’t get my magazine until after the 15th of each month.

Troy McClure
01-14-2007, 09:03 AM
I pay below $ 500 @year,
DAMN. I guess it depends on the amount of coverage you get. I pay about $900/yr for my Jeep which is used for pleasure/weekends only. I do have several mil coverage on all vehicles though (goes through my company).
If your paying $500/yr for that Magic in your sig you must have combined it with your homeowner insurance co? If not, or I should say, either way, that is a smoking deal.

soupersonic
01-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Even the V's with stepped bottoms and high HP are getting outrageous.I did find out that Markel will insure a straight bottomed V on their "preferred to insure" plan for way cheaper than anyone else i could find.

Not So Fast
01-14-2007, 09:50 AM
DAMN. I guess it depends on the amount of coverage you get. I pay about $900/yr for my Jeep which is used for pleasure/weekends only. I do have several mil coverage on all vehicles though (goes through my company).
If your paying $500/yr for that Magic in your sig you must have combined it with your homeowner insurance co? If not, or I should say, either way, that is a smoking deal.
Actually last year it was:2purples: $526 with 100/300/50K coverage. We do have our auto with them also but dont know if that makes a difference. I do know that a friend who has an Allstate agency said if you do have a good priced policy at present and even if you sell your boat with the aspiration to buy another to NOT cancel your policy so that you can just ammend it when you buy the other boat. Things are getting bad but the rates this guy in ***boat qoutes are frikkin ridiculous, again JMO. Good luck, NSF

plaster dave
01-14-2007, 09:51 AM
I was able to get very reasonable coverage from State Farm.
Howard 28 Sport Deck
Gary Taylor TPI700
$1278 per year. NO LAY-UP.
State farm wouldnt even look at the boat for me.:mad:

phebus
01-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I have Progressive, and my boat is the only thing they insure for me. 100/300k costs me 614 per year, and that's with 496HO power, 26' cat.

Not So Fast
01-14-2007, 10:10 AM
I have Progressive, and my boat is the only thing they insure for me. 100/300k costs me 614 per year, and that's with 496HO power, 26' cat.
There you go! Do they know how much you drink though:idea: J/K NSF

4-B
01-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Was that with the senior discount? :D

Havasu1986
01-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Mines $546 with a 502 98 Eliminator Eagle. State Farm has had my house and boats since 86 in Havi.

ULTRA26 # 1
01-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm paying 912 per year 100/300, no lay up with State Farm. Everything I have insured is with State Farm. Good coverage without a bunch of exclusions.
John M

phebus
01-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Was that with the senior discount? :D
The senior "good guy" discount :D

Jrocket
01-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Wozencraft is on these boards if I remember correctly.I know some of his clients are memebers here also.It comes down to where you reside and alot of other things on what your going to pay a year,not just the boat itself.Obviously you guys are aware of that.Havasu full time residents get better rates than cali residents do,atleast from what im told.I see some people say they are paying a unbeleivably low amount on a boat that the next guy is paying a huge amount,could be 2 things.Either the guy is not aware of what his coverage truely is or the underwriter has no clue.Usually its a case of boat slipping past the underwriter.I know for FACT of a few members here that have got in here so proudly and posted their annual premiums,on to lie about what their actuall coverage is.Good luck when the time comes to call on your insurance for help.These people have posted very low premiums and had the crowd going nutz...but never tell you the truth that they are in layup half the year or that they lied their ass's off to get that premium.Well known memebers and I'll leave it at that.I can feel the PMs coming from them now...Sorry but its true.

BadKachina
01-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Mines 480 per year with Allstate, 30' vee. They never asked what power the boat had, and they never took pictures of it. The only questions they ever asked were how many motors it had and whether or not it had a cabin.

BadKachina
01-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Wozencraft is on these boards if I remember correctly.I know some of his clients are memebers here also.It comes down to where you reside and alot of other things on what your going to pay a year,not just the boat itself.Obviously you guys are aware of that.Havasu full time residents get better rates than cali residents do,atleast from what im told.I see some people say they are paying a unbeleivably low amount on a boat that the next guy is paying a huge amount,could be 2 things.Either the guy is not aware of what his coverage truely is or the underwriter has no clue.Usually its a case of boat slipping past the underwriter.I know for FACT of a few members here that have got in here so proudly and posted their annual premiums,on to lie about what their actuall coverage is.Good luck when the time comes to call on your insurance for help.These people have posted very low premiums and had the crowd going nutz...but never tell you the truth that they are in layup half the year or that they lied their ass's off to get that premium.Well known memebers and I'll leave it at that.I can feel the PMs coming from them now...Sorry but its true.
BTW, I have no lay up, and my agent took the policy over from State Farm along with everything else I own. State Farm was the original insurer, they took pictures and got all the information about the boat from the manufacturer.

beaverretriever
01-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Im a little over 900 per year for ours, with a 496HO. Thats also one of the reasons i didnt go to a 525. I dont NEED to do 85-90 at an initial cost of 15k, plus an additional cost of 1200+ per year in insurance and probably an extra hundred dollars a weekend for gas when i only go top speed every now-and-then.
Man, where are you guys getting insuance on a cat for under 2000.00 a yr? I have checked 20 places, Wozencraft, Markel, and many,many others. Most wont even touch me, and if they do its 2k plus yr.
Im looking at a cat with only a 496HO or bigger depending on insurance cost.
Maybe I need to check State Farm. Im not kidding, I have checked everyone except SF. I cant believe you guys are insuring cats (with any kind of engine) under a 1000 bux. That is wild. I need some phone #s.

Not So Fast
01-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Jrocket:
I dont know who you directed this too but I stated my coverages for you to see and my premium for last year, I also just called to see what would happen if an HP500 found it's way into my boat and I was told no appreciatable (sp) change, also got a cofirmation number on the question just in case this swap happens. I'm not demeaning Wozencraft but their qoutes seem outlandish to me and if I did ever have to pay that much for insurance then I stand by my word and I would go with a nice pontoon and forget about performance boating. NSF

Jrocket
01-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Jrocket:
I dont know who you directed this too but I stated my coverages for you to see and my premium for last year, I also just called to see what would happen if an HP500 found it's way into my boat and I was told no appreciatable (sp) change, also got a cofirmation number on the question just in case this swap happens. I'm not demeaning Wozencraft but their qoutes seem outlandish to me and if I did ever have to pay that much for insurance then I stand by my word and I would go with a nice pontoon and forget about performance boating. NSF
I forgot to add that the people I am referring to are not in this thread,that was bad on my part for not adding that.
I see a Tritoon in my future though.

BajaMike
01-15-2007, 11:05 AM
I was told recently by Progressive that they won't do cats....:confused:
:idea:

2Driver
01-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Mines 480 per year with Allstate, 30' vee. The only questions they ever asked were how many motors it had and whether or not it had a cabin.
That's because they know it sits a lot and when you do use it, you just go out and park in the giggle weeds. :D :D

BadKachina
01-15-2007, 11:42 AM
That's because they know it sits a lot and when you do use it, you just go out and park in the giggle weeds. :D :D
Hey, I have almost 200 hours on it since 99.:idea: (40 of those are from leaving the key on for a day and a half)

dumbandyoung
01-15-2007, 12:02 PM
try being 20 years old trying to get qoutes on a cat.:) ....thats if they will even except me.

andy01
01-17-2007, 10:16 AM
I dont know who this Wozencraft Agency is NSF
Devin Wozencraft is the one that helped Hot Boat with thier write up. He did the numbers all "round". He was saying it is so hard to give qoutes on a boat of this nature. So many things come into play. I would also venture to say he aired on the side of caution in doing the qoutes. As Jrocket posted location, driving record, motor, boat, location of use and so on and so on make up these prices/qoutes. I went with Devin after a lot of shopping and calling around. He is a hot boater owns a cat and knows his shit! He was also able to give me a very competive rate on my new DCB, plus great service. For some of you that have done the shopping around you know return calls are a pain in the ass, he was always very quick to call me back. Give him a try, you might be happy with what you hear. Remember nothing is going to compare to some old policy that Allstate/StateFarm wrote 5 years ago.
Devin Wozencraft 714-263-2626
Andy

79 HUSTLER
01-17-2007, 10:50 AM
try being 20 years old trying to get qoutes on a cat.:) ....thats if they will even except me.
Did that at 21yrs with a 1200hp blown motor in a 29'. Around $11,000 a year. Blower came off by the time it left the builders...

79 HUSTLER
01-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Man, where are you guys getting insuance on a cat for under 2000.00 a yr? I have checked 20 places, Wozencraft, Markel, and many,many others. Most wont even touch me, and if they do its 2k plus yr.
Im looking at a cat with only a 496HO or bigger depending on insurance cost.
Maybe I need to check State Farm. Im not kidding, I have checked everyone except SF. I cant believe you guys are insuring cats (with any kind of engine) under a 1000 bux. That is wild. I need some phone #s.
Don't plan on being under your those quotes with a cat unless they dont know what they are insuring. Some people are still getting cheap quotes with deck boats but lots of companies are starting to double/triple those as well.

andy01
01-17-2007, 10:55 AM
79 Hustler where in the hell are the updated pictures of your truck build?

boatnam2
01-17-2007, 11:00 AM
I dont know who this Wozencraft Agency is but the Next X265 with a 496HO is qouted at $2095 to $2979, are you kidding me:eek: Get real bud, you are crazy. I pay below $ 500 @year, maybe you made a MISTAKE in your qoute. His comment on securing your insurance BEFORE buying or at least seeing if the boat was insureable (sp) though was damn good advice IMO. NSF
i have used devin as far back as 10 years ago,he use to get it done but i guess he has his hands tied or went the way of the buck.i actually had all my stuff home,car, boat,life but have not used him in a few years.he couldnt come close to progressive for my 28ft lavey deck boat.

79 HUSTLER
01-17-2007, 11:01 AM
79 Hustler where in the hell are the updated pictures of your truck build?
Still working on it, lots of stupid little stuff like brackets and relocating sh1t so not nothing major/cool for new pics. Just lots of fabricating going on. I will take some next week and update the threads.

andy01
01-17-2007, 11:04 AM
i have used devin as far back as 10 years ago,he use to get it done but i guess he has his hands tied or went the way of the buck.
Read my post above skinny...... damn your slow...... :D
Still working on it, lots of stupid little stuff like brackets and relocating sh1t so not nothing major/cool for new pics. Just lots of fabricating going on. I will take some next week and update the threads.
Right on!

dumbandyoung
01-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Did that at 21yrs with a 1200hp blown motor in a 29'. Around $11,000 a year. Blower came off by the time it left the builders...
wait. you mean$1,100 or $11,000???:confused:
yea get those truck pics up soon! What are you gonna do with paint? are you staying orange or ???

Havasu1986
01-17-2007, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=Not So Fast;2337127]I'm surprised nobody has commented on this months issue with the insurance estimates given on various test boats, especially the 3 deck boats tested. With a low of $2095 to a high of $3914.
And that was with a 4 month lay up the article said.:eek: