PDA

View Full Version : Pool help- below freezing

Ms.Havasu
01-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Our pool motor was making all kinds of noise last night...sounded like it was trying to start but wouldn't prime.Pool is set to pump between 9am and 3pm, but it was trying to turn on by itself at 5am. We turned off all power to it tonight and figured we would just turn it back on tomorrow afternoon when everything thaws out again. Are we wrong to do that? Sould we turn on the pump and let it run all night so it doesn't freeze?
HELP!!!

Kachina26
01-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Run it, unless it has an auto run for freeze protection.

BajaMike
01-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Once it thaws out in the day time I would let it run until these cold nights are done.

boatnam3
01-13-2007, 08:32 PM
ours has freeze protection and turns itself on at night.

Ms.Havasu
01-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I think ours was trying to turn on (freeze protection) but wouldn't prime because the lines were already frozen. I think I will go back out there and turn it on and let it run all night and then turn it off during the day when it's warmer. Does that sound about right?

IT'SONLYMONEY
01-13-2007, 08:42 PM
don't run the pool until the heat of the day. by 3pm it should be ok to run just make sure to cover all the pump and lines etc at night with some heavy towls or tarps or throw down tarps for painting. it helps

TheCarDudes
01-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Hey Michele. Hows that Direct TV.

Ms.Havasu
01-13-2007, 08:48 PM
don't run the pool until the heat of the day. by 3pm it should be ok to run just make sure to cover all the pump and lines etc at night with some heavy towls or tarps or throw down tarps for painting. it helps
I WAS THINKING THE REASON IT WAS TRYING TO TURN ITSELF ON WAS TO KEEP WATER RUNNING THROUGH THE PIPES SO IT WOULDN'T FREEZE.
I just turned the pool back on, now I'm confused. If we leave it turned off and water freezes in the pipes, won't it expand causing all kinds of problems.
Any pool guys know for sure if we should kill the power or not?

Ms.Havasu
01-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Hey Michele. Hows that Direct TV.
Wow what a picture. I miss our local news though.

TheCarDudes
01-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Just to get the local news can't you run an air antenna? Maybe?

Ms.Havasu
01-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Just to get the local news can't you run an air antenna? Maybe?
I might not even need an antenna, Rabbit ears might do the job.

slowinhavasu
01-13-2007, 08:53 PM
I just went and turned ours on, our half full above ground spa is frozen a little....Thanks...

Cas
01-13-2007, 08:55 PM
I WAS THINKING THE REASON IT WAS TRYING TO TURN ITSELF ON WAS TO KEEP WATER RUNNING THROUGH THE PIPES SO IT WOULDN'T FREEZE.
I just turned the pool back on, now I'm confused. If we leave it turned off and water freezes in the pipes, won't it expand causing all kinds of problems.
Any pool guys know for sure if we should kill the power or not?
let it run. You are correct about the expansion causing possible damage but, covering it with cloth tarps/blankets/towels is advisable also.

Ms.Havasu
01-13-2007, 10:26 PM
My neighbor saw this post and came over to help us with the pool issue. It's cold out and that was very nice of him.
Just thought I would say Thank you.

framer1
01-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Our pool motor was making all kinds of noise last night...sounded like it was trying to start but wouldn't prime.Pool is set to pump between 9am and 3pm, but it was trying to turn on by itself at 5am. We turned off all power to it tonight and figured we would just turn it back on tomorrow afternoon when everything thaws out again. Are we wrong to do that? Sould we turn on the pump and let it run all night so it doesn't freeze?
HELP!!!
To help fight the freezing temps, we changed the pump time to 3am to 9am from 2pm to 7pm it seem to help. The coldest time of the day is right when the sun starts coming up. I like the water moving at that time.

boatnam3
01-14-2007, 07:38 AM
well ours turned on last night and is still on.31 degrees outside pool is 42.

rmarion
01-14-2007, 08:54 AM
ours has freeze protection and turns itself on at night.
ditto

acatitude
01-14-2007, 09:02 AM
my pool guy changed my run times to at night until this cold gets over hoping nothing will freeze up during the cold nights since it will be running then off during day when a little warmer

INSman
01-14-2007, 09:05 AM
My neighbor saw this post and came over to help us with the pool issue. It's cold out and that was very nice of him.
Just thought I would say Thank you.
Always thinking of yourselves :D Good thing I don't have a pool out there :2purples:

BEER&WATER
01-14-2007, 09:31 AM
mine to

2Driver
01-14-2007, 09:35 AM
THis is news to me. We are at 3000' in Carefree and I dont do a thing to our pool differently and it was 26 last night.
Unless I am missing something:
- The pool water is still at least in the upper 40's
- The pipes are 99% under ground
- The small section of pipe above ground is insulated (PVC)
- It is only slightly below freezing and only for several hours
What's to really freeze? Yeah maybe the garden fountain has a thin layer of ice but I would think it is going to take more than that to start to freeze any part of the pool water or equipment.

Ms.Havasu
01-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Always thinking of yourselves :D Good thing I don't have a pool out there :2purples:
Now be nice.
You have all the modern new equipment. My pool is 10 years old and not running right. (you should hear it).
I'll go by and check yours and George's pool to make sure everything is running well, if you want me to go by and change your timer let me know.
Michele

RiverRatMike
01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
THis is news to me. We are at 3000' in Carefree and I dont do a thing to our pool differently and it was 26 last night.
Unless I am missing something:
- The pool water is still at least in the upper 40's
- The pipes are 99% under ground
- The small section of pipe above ground is insulated (PVC)
- It is only slightly below freezing and only for several hours
What's to really freeze? Yeah maybe the garden fountain has a thin layer of ice but I would think it is going to take more than that to start to freeze any part of the pool water or equipment.
I agree, I have a pool too. 10,000 gallon and run the pump 1 hr a day in the winter time. With these cold temps in the mid 20's nothing has happened to my pool. Now if it was like that every night, I'm sure it would start to freeze some, but with such a large mass of water it doesn't freeze at those temps very quickly.

waterwitch
01-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Run it, unless it has an auto run for freeze protection.
Freeze protection in Havasu. That is just wrong on SOOO many levels!!!!
Can HELL freeze over???

INSman
01-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Now be nice.
You have all the modern new equipment. My pool is 10 years old and not running right. (you should hear it).
I'll go by and check yours and George's pool to make sure everything is running well, if you want me to go by and change your timer let me know.
Michele
Thank you SOOOO much for swinging by and checking things out for us. I would assume that I have all that new fancy fadangled equipment, but I also assumed my neighbors would not vandalize my house :supp: :messedup:

SummitKarl
01-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Freeze protection in Havasu. That is just wrong on SOOO many levels!!!!
Can HELL freeze over???
apparently it did:)
my water lines in the house were frozen this morning, 1/2 the house running water 1/2 the house not:(

phebus
01-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Thank you SOOOO much for swinging by and checking things out for us. I would assume that I have all that new fancy fadangled equipment, but I also assumed my neighbors would not vandalize my house :supp: :messedup:
Maybe they'll throw rocks, and break the ice on your pool. ;)