PDA

View Full Version : blown head gasket/help

sleek23
01-14-2007, 10:00 AM
i just blew a head gasket on a 1979 115 evinrude two stroke outboard. I have already removed the gasket and ordered the part. I need to know what to do to prep the motor/head before installing and what the torque specifations are and the bolt pattern to use when tightening.
Thanks

Towndrunk
01-17-2007, 07:24 PM
i just blew a head gasket on a 1979 115 evinrude two stroke outboard. I have already removed the gasket and ordered the part. I need to know what to do to prep the motor/head before installing and what the torque specifations are and the bolt pattern to use when tightening.
Thanks
The block just needs a good cleaning along with the head. I don't know the torque values of an OMC but you can call a dealer and they probably will tell you. If the heads are like some of my mercs have been the torque sequnce is on the outside of the head. Hope this helps.
TD

RitcheyRch
01-17-2007, 08:00 PM
And dont forget to retorque the heads after 10 hours. The prior owner of my boat didnt retorque the heads after he rebuilt the engine and thats why I blew a head gasket.

Towndrunk
01-18-2007, 07:31 AM
And dont forget to retorque the heads after 10 hours. The prior owner of my boat didnt retorque the heads after he rebuilt the engine and thats why I blew a head gasket.
Good point but it should be done after the first outing. Not trying to step on your toes just remembering what my mentor toells me.

RitcheyRch
01-19-2007, 04:58 AM
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I dont have an hour meter so figured would re-torque them after the first trip.
Good point but it should be done after the first outing. Not trying to step on your toes just remembering what my mentor toells me.