PDA

View Full Version : How much should he deduct???

Chico&Zeus
01-14-2007, 07:53 PM
I am in the market for a "New to Me" used boat....there is one that I saw online and was interested in it, so I went to check it out. It was stored at a marina and the owner couldn't meet me there so we set it up for a marina manager to show it to me. The boat was in decent condition, new power with only 20 hrs, however I did have a few concerns...
1) the Port side fender on the trailer was damaged (tripple axle) and will need to be replaced
2) two of the gauges had cracked lenses
3) the trailer could use new tires (again that's 6 tires) but the 2 spares looked good.
4) the aluminum rub rail on the back port side had a couple decent gashes in it
5) there were three evident stress cracks in the gel coat, one above the cabin door, one where the windshield meets the gunwale and one between two of the fresh air intake vents on the port side
6) inside the cabin there were a few minor dings in the gelcoat near the counter (looked like things had fallen while under way)
7) couple of tiny nicks in the bolsters and rear bench upholstry
This boat is in the $90-110,000 range but I think he needs to come down a ways...what is the approximate value of these repairs or should I forget it and keep on looking for something "less abused"

SHOTKALLIN
01-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Nothing is selling right now so almost everybody has negotiation room in thier price. Name your price. All he can do is laugh. By the way...a pic, year, make and power would be of some help here. If the gel design is unpopular it really wont sell so make a low offer.

ratso
01-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Decide what YOU feel is a fair price, then offer him 5 grand under that to leave some negotiating room.

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2007, 08:23 PM
No enough info?
Perhaps he set the price based on those deductions already?

BadKachina
01-14-2007, 08:54 PM
It's a used boat correct? Sold by a private party? I'm sure he knows what's wrong with the boat and trailer and set his selling price to a value he determined was fair for his boat. He's under no obligation to allow for the repairs in his price, nor should he feel that he owes you a discount to allow for those repairs. With that being said, your under no obligation to pay an amount you don't feel comfortable with paying.
Fender will be a couple of hundred installed plus paint.
Tires are 60 to 90 dollars each depending on size or brand.
Gauges are 30 to 40 each for 2 1/16 sizes, plus an hour or so labor to install them.
Who cares about the nicks in the cabin, it's not new.
Have a surveyor look at the stress cracks if you are that worried about it, but if it's only a couple of years old it's probably covered under a factory warranty (even Kachina has a 10 year hull warranty;) ). Then you can throw in a couple of extra hundred to have all the other nicks and chips fixed at the same time.
I wouldn't waste my time fixing the rub rail unless it's so unsightly you can't stand it, again it's a used boat and the rub rail is there to be dinged up.

707dog
01-14-2007, 09:22 PM
sounds like the boat was used/abused and not takin much care of but if your spending that kinda dough im sure there's something out there that someone has takin better care of..theres alot on the market dont jump on the first thing you might end up with a heart breaker..my 2cents

SHOTKALLIN
01-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Why not drop 100K on something cherry that doesn't need work?:jawdrop:

SHOTKALLIN
01-15-2007, 12:22 AM
are you pursposely hiding the identity of this boat?

Outnumbered
01-15-2007, 03:11 AM
sounds like the boat was used/abused and not takin much care of but if your spending that kinda dough im sure there's something out there that someone has takin better care of..theres alot on the market dont jump on the first thing you might end up with a heart breaker..my 2cents
Ditto this. Unless the boat goes for $200k new. Bottom line is make an offer at what you feel good about paying for it. All he can say is no. Personally, I never buy anything used unless I get a smokin' deal. Good luck.

Chico&Zeus
01-15-2007, 05:57 AM
are you pursposely hiding the identity of this boat?
The owner may be a member on the boards, I would rather get a generic answer than to call out his exact boat...also, the boat is a "fair" deal right now and if I do decide that the repairs are worth it than I'd rather not have someone else buy the boat out from under me.

Sandbar Mike
01-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Don't hold me to this but it's close.
I am in the market for a "New to Me" used boat....there is one that I saw online and was interested in it, so I went to check it out. It was stored at a marina and the owner couldn't meet me there so we set it up for a marina manager to show it to me. The boat was in decent condition, new power with only 20 hrs, however I did have a few concerns...
1) the Port side fender on the trailer was damaged (tripple axle) and will need to be replaced $500.00
2) two of the gauges had cracked lenses $200.00
3) the trailer could use new tires (again that's 6 tires) but the 2 spares looked good. $700.00 (6 new tires)
4) the aluminum rub rail on the back port side had a couple decent gashes in it $800.00
5) there were three evident stress cracks in the gel coat, one above the cabin door, one where the windshield meets the gunwale and one between two of the fresh air intake vents on the port side $1,000.00
6) inside the cabin there were a few minor dings in the gelcoat near the counter (looked like things had fallen while under way) $500.00
7) couple of tiny nicks in the bolsters and rear bench upholstry $500.00
This boat is in the $90-110,000 range but I think he needs to come down a ways...what is the approximate value of these repairs or should I forget it and keep on looking for something "less abused"

Chico&Zeus
01-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks Mike, that's the type of response that I was looking for.
I know the seller may "think" he has consitered these things in his asking price, but sometimes it's hard to put real world dollars and cents to it. I do plan on having the boat appriased if I pursue the purchase. I'll be sure to let everyone know what I find out.
Thanks again!

2Driver
01-15-2007, 08:49 AM
I assume you are having it gone through on a pre-buy inspection. With that kind of miscellaneous neglected stuff (cracked gauges, fender damage, worn tires, stress cracks) not to mention he's been through an engine/s, I guess I'd be wondering to what degree did the guy care for the boat.
Maybe even a bigger question would be what don't you see is wrong and how much should you be deducting for that? As a side note I don't put much merit in statements about how much it would cost to build today. I'm looking at a 100K buggy right now and hear the same thing about "today's" rebuild cost :rolleyes:
If it's close and you are going to see it again, I wouldn't mind riding shot gun.

h2oski2fast
01-15-2007, 09:26 AM
It's a used boat correct? Sold by a private party? I'm sure he knows what's wrong with the boat and trailer and set his selling price to a value he determined was fair for his boat. He's under no obligation to allow for the repairs in his price, nor should he feel that he owes you a discount to allow for those repairs.
This is 100% correct.
Sounds to me like you want a brand new boat for a used price. I hope he tells you to pack sand once you start pointing out all the flaws.

Chico&Zeus
01-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Go pound sand??? is that how they sell things where you come from? I realize that the seller is aware of the things that are aesthetically wrong with the boat, they are obvious. I also realize that there is a cost that I will have to incur to make the repairs if I purchase this boat. I was looking for a figure that I would consider in making my offer, if it's too low then he is not "obligated" to sell it...this is a free country. As far as looking for a "New Boat" for the price of a "Used Boat", you're absolutely right. I want to get the best deal I can, and I would love to find a boat that has been well taken care of and considered "Mint Condition", however if I find a boat that needs some repairs, I will be sure to do that also, I would never want to cruise around in a beat up pig of a boat that looks as if I didn't care for my possessions. I will take everything from this post into consideration, I am not planning on making an offer until I see what the LA boat show has to offer. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Kilrtoy
01-15-2007, 05:16 PM
call the dealer and ask what a used boat set up like the one you are looking at cost. Also look up NADA(I know that will piss people off) if you think the asking price is right for you dont wait, you may regret that.

ratso
01-15-2007, 05:22 PM
This is 100% correct.
Sounds to me like you want a brand new boat for a used price. I hope he tells you to pack sand once you start pointing out all the flaws.
My competition is looking for a salesman... do you need a job?http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif If I can just get you over there my profits should go through the roof...lmao...:D