PDA

View Full Version : Metal dectors rule!

cyclone
01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
found my wedding ring today at lake elsinore. i'm utterly amazed. i bought a 150 dollar metal detector at a sporting goods store, left the boat at home, and walked from the baseball field all the way to the cove. i didn't have too much hope for finding the thing in the sand. We had marked the general area where I was when i lost it and after about 5 minutes of waving the detector around and not hearing a single beep i figured all was lost. Just as we were about to give up, the detector beeped, my wife started digging, and there it was. focking unbelievable!

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Go to Vegas...
...quick!

Jrocket
01-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Lotto tickets?

RitcheyRch
01-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Awesome news. Now go buy a lotto ticket. :D

MikeF
01-14-2007, 08:45 PM
:D
No more bruises.
Do they work underwater?;)

HocusPocus
01-14-2007, 08:46 PM
thats great news and money well spent, now you need to go searching for other lost wedding rings :)

cyclone
01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
we did get greedy after the joy of finding my ring set in. we started searching for buried treasure near the shore line and only came up with a dozen budlight cans. that got old realy quick so we went home. i'll bet the next person in that cove is gonna wonder what all those holes in the ground were from. lol:D

SHOTKALLIN
01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Thats outstanding!!!

BigDoug
01-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Very cool for you !!!.............................i got an idea :idea: sell that thing to "Later" so he can find his boat !! :)

shockwaveharry
01-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Lotto tickets?
He'd have to by a Lotto number detecter first... :D

707dog
01-14-2007, 09:18 PM
lmao thats how my buddy found his ladys tennis braclet @ santa cruz!!

RiverRatMike
01-14-2007, 09:22 PM
found my wedding ring today at lake elsinore. i'm utterly amazed. i bought a 150 dollar metal detector at a sporting goods store, left the boat at home, and walked from the baseball field all the way to the cove. i didn't have too much hope for finding the thing in the sand. We had marked the general area where I was when i lost it and after about 5 minutes of waving the detector around and not hearing a single beep i figured all was lost. Just as we were about to give up, the detector beeped, my wife started digging, and there it was. focking unbelievable!
awesome! now gain some weight so you wedding ring doesn't slip off your finger again :)

John.
01-14-2007, 09:25 PM
my next door neighbor did a similar thing. he lost his ring while doing yard work and bought a kids type metal detector. he searched all over his yard with it and came up with nothing. His father in law gave it a shot and found his ring a month later. I guess they really do work.

Jetaholic
01-14-2007, 09:38 PM
:D
No more bruises.
Do they work underwater?;)
No, since they work via radar technology. Radio waves don't travel through water...which is why they use sonar, which is sound/audio technology since sound waves will propogate through water. :D

dmontzsta
01-14-2007, 09:59 PM
That is awesome, good to hear.

Heatseeker
01-14-2007, 10:38 PM
That's good news Mike. I wish the detector would've worked when my wife lost both her engagement and wedding rings last May @ Hogan. Not only am I out the dough, but she keeps asking me when I'm going to replace them...:devil:

Froggystyle
01-15-2007, 12:09 AM
No, since they work via radar technology. Radio waves don't travel through water...which is why they use sonar, which is sound/audio technology since sound waves will propogate through water. :D
I'm not sure this is true. Radar and Sonar are technically the same thing. You emit a "ping" and the receiver measures the time it took for the ping to come back, or reflect off of an object. In the sense of a metal detector, it is more of an ultrasonic ping though, and shouldn't have any problem at all working under water. It is only measuring a change in density of whatever is in front of it.
It would work a lot deeper through water than dirt though. You should be able to find a coin in probably double the distance, but possibly with less resolution.
Any actual metal detector experts on here? I am freestyling a bit here...

Misogynist
01-15-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm not sure this is true. Radar and Sonar are technically the same thing. You emit a "ping" and the receiver measures the time it took for the ping to come back, or reflect off of an object. In the sense of a metal detector, it is more of an ultrasonic ping though, and shouldn't have any problem at all working under water. It is only measuring a change in density of whatever is in front of it.
It would work a lot deeper through water than dirt though. You should be able to find a coin in probably double the distance, but possibly with less resolution.
Any actual metal detector experts on here? I am freestyling a bit here...
I don't know for sure... but I saw a guy in the water off Waikiki beach with the thing in about 4 feet of water. He said he finds rings and keys all the time. :eek:

Hal
01-15-2007, 01:59 AM
This one works under water...
http://www.garrett.com/hobby/products/seahunter.htm

Jetaholic
01-15-2007, 02:34 AM
I am freestyling a bit here...
Don't you mean you're "Froggystyling" a bit? :D

wsuwrhr
01-15-2007, 05:08 AM
BOTH of them?
Are you sure she "lost" them?
Smells fishy to me.
Brian
That's good news Mike. I wish the detector would've worked when my wife lost both her engagement and wedding rings last May @ Hogan. Not only am I out the dough, but she keeps asking me when I'm going to replace them...:devil:

wsuwrhr
01-15-2007, 05:09 AM
Congrats on finding the ring Cyclone. I lost my band a couple years ago, so I know your pain.
Brian

JetBoatRich
01-15-2007, 05:11 AM
Great story:D

cyclone
01-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Congrats Michael, where'd you get the detector at as after your post last week I was sorta lookin for one.
Rio
Big 5 Sporting Goods in Anaheim. you wanna borrow it?

cyclone
01-15-2007, 07:50 AM
awesome! now gain some weight so you wedding ring doesn't slip off your finger again :)
i thought i was doing that after i got married. lol

cyclone
01-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Congrats on finding the ring Cyclone. I lost my band a couple years ago, so I know your pain.
Brian
thanks brian. i dont know what she was more pissed about-that i lost it or that i waited a week to go back and find it. I guess a job isn't a priority when it comes to losing your ring. :D

Wicked Performance Boats
01-15-2007, 08:37 AM
That's one of the reasons my wife and I got ring tattoos. You can wear it all the time and it never comes off! Budlight