PDA

View Full Version : speed coat

Jim Hall
01-15-2007, 06:06 AM
I am in the process of blue printing the bottom and was wondering if it's best to spray or roll "speed coat"? I have heard of doing both but just wondering if one's better than the other?

Kona20
01-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Can someone explain the in and out of the process of blue printing a hull to me?
Tt

Racey
01-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Lots of grinding/sanding to remove any hook from the bottom, it pretty much boils down to taking a straight edge, sanding and checking, sanding and checking, making both sides of the boat even, and getting the right amount and position of rocker(convexness) to the surface. then you spray with graphite to seal. Thats the cut and dry of it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Spray it! You can also get it in spraycans;)

ToMorrow44
01-15-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing but I'll throw in my knowledge here just in case. If by "speedcoat" you mean a wax or other similar substance to make the boat go faster, then you're wasting money. I can understand coating the entire bottom of the boat with it to seal it after sanding and blueprinting, but it won't make the boat go any faster. The smoothe waxy surface on the bottom of the boat actually creates friction with the water and can make it slower. That's why a lot of offshore race teams will sand the running pad on the bottom of the boat. The sanded surface releases friction and aerates the bottom of the boat. That's also why you won't see painted or polished lower units on race boats is because it causes friction. So if you're doing it to seal the bottom of the boat that's one thing and that's fine, but it won't make the boat go any faster.
-Tom

Jbb
01-15-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing but I'll throw in my knowledge here just in case. If by "speedcoat" you mean a wax or other similar substance to make the boat go faster, then you're wasting money. I can understand coating the entire bottom of the boat with it to seal it after sanding and blueprinting, but it won't make the boat go any faster. The smoothe waxy surface on the bottom of the boat actually creates friction with the water and can make it slower. That's why a lot of offshore race teams will sand the running pad on the bottom of the boat. The sanded surface releases friction and aerates the bottom of the boat. That's also why you won't see painted or polished lower units on race boats is because it causes friction. So if you're doing it to seal the bottom of the boat that's one thing and that's fine, but it won't make the boat go any faster.
-Tom
Im thinking the product they are refering to is at the bottom of the page of ....this link (http://www.rexmar.com/page136.html)

ToMorrow44
01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Im thinking the product they are refering to is at the bottom of the page of ....this link (http://www.rexmar.com/page136.html)
Well I don't have any personal experience with this product personally, but it was to my understanding that any kind of smoothe surface on the hull creates friction but like I said I don't know about this product. Maybe someone with some experience with it will chime in.

ToMorrow44
01-15-2007, 09:23 PM
well after a little more research, it seems that the "graphite coating" does have a rough surface to release surface tension so I guess that would work assuming that is what that product is. But otherwise just regular wax makes it easier to clean and thats about it.

Rexone
01-15-2007, 10:42 PM
The speedcoat aka Lubribond A linked to above (here's another link (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=lubrabonda)) will increase speeds slightly. Mostly used on drag boats where 10ths of a second are sought. Many speed skiers have also used it over the years to free up the skis a little. It does work if applied properly and in the case of skis sanded ever so slightly after spraying to disrupt surface tension. I adheres much better than standard graphite coating you'd find at a hardware store also.

Jim Hall
01-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Well I received it Tues and am planning on using it this weekend.There are no instructions and I cannot find any on line! Question is do you spray direct or do you have to reduce it? What does it clean up with? :confused:

victorfb
01-19-2007, 11:29 PM
it doesnt clean very easily off of anything. but a little laquer thinner will help clean the gun. and yes spray it. it doesnt need thinning (its very thin allready) but you really need to mix it well RIGHT before spraying. it settles in the gun and its canister very quikly. spray it sparingly. it will seem like you need to keep spraying more, but as you stop and let it dry (it dries very quik) you will notice its dull dark grey color. if this is being applied to a lake boat bottom, i doubt youll see much of a differance, but then again many people swear by it. like mike (Rexone) has said, youll most likely only see the effects when doing timed runs. doing the "blue printing" to the hulls bottom is whats really going to get you the most performance. but there again be carefull, this can also ruin the hull aswell, and/or cause a multitude of other problematic symtoms. uncontrolable porpoising is one of them. then its back to the drawing board to re set up the entire drive set up and ride plates.
this product is also used and works well on jet drive impellers, pump linings, ect. just remember, a little goes a long way. and be prepared to have dirty looking nails for a while.

BILLY.B
01-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Well I received it Tues and am planning on using it this weekend.There are no instructions and I cannot find any on line! Question is do you spray direct or do you have to reduce it? What does it clean up with? :confused:Make sure you take a Scotch Brite pad (scuffing lightly in one direction, bow to transom) to break up the surface just a bit...... I roll the stuff on with a nappy type roller to give the bottom just a bit of unevenesss like a golf ball. Once dry I go over it with a red scotch brite to knock off the tit's left by the roller.

Jim Hall
01-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the reply's! My bottom was in pretty good shape,just a little work around intake and a little bit at the transom.I thought since I was redoing the bottom I might as well put the coating on it.Thanks again!!