PDA

View Full Version : Old Top Fuel Flat

Ian
01-10-2003, 10:42 AM
My dad and I have an old Cole TR2, it was originally one of Jim Cole's Top Fuelers so it's layed up pretty heavy. The problem is some of the resin on the inside of the boat is peeling up. It is mostly in the rear of the boat and it is real thin pieces of resin that are flacking away, almost like when the clear coat flakes away on a car. There is still resin were the pieces flaked away, has this happened to anyone else, any suggestions on what I should do. Structurally the boat is very sound, except for two small stress cracks, but I would like to have it checked out so I know nothing else is wrong. Can anyone suggest some good fiberglass shops close to me, I live in Ventura county. boxed
P.S. It's good to be back

Sangster
01-10-2003, 10:55 AM
I'm sure SuperDave013 can help you with the info needed...His dad's a T.V. repairman..he also has all the Fancy tools......

CircleJerk
01-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Ian, my guess is that over the years someone always trys to make their bottoms look pretty. Right 222? It may be a coat of paint like laquer or varnish that was applied in the hope making the hull shiney since all the resin I have seen is dull or dulling by the elements. I have heard of folks using floor wax that the blonde uses in the kitchen! If it is as thin as you describe, then this may what youre seeing. I also have discovered that the top coat is a finishing material of paraffin resin used as a shiney filler top coat. Naturally, the flaking is produced by years of sun and the constant flexing fiberglass boats go through. Even sitting in storage, heat and cold can cause it. smile_sp Remove the loose thin layer with a razor blade and polish with a buffer to resore the shine. That's just a JeRks opinion! smile_sp

caution 2
01-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Cal Joe at Joe's tooling 818 768-4636, he used to layup cole's boats for him, he probably made that boat. he is one of the best, Jim Brock

Ian
01-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks Jerk! :D