PDA

View Full Version : Cap, 1 Farad or bigger?

T-56
01-15-2007, 03:47 PM
I have an "Old School" (early 90's) SoundStream USA305 amp running 2 Ohms on all 5 channels. Single SoundStream SPL160 15" on the sub and 2 MBQuart marine 6X9's on each of the other 4 channels. I'm running 3 Optima blue-top starting batteries supplying the amp through a 0 guage wire on positive and ground.
My amp has been clipping on occasion (driving the crap out of it :D ) and was wondering if I need anything bigger than a 1 Farad cap to put on it.
I don't think the cap will "FIX" my problem but it can't hurt. I've never had a cap on any of my stuff in the past, but figure it's time to get one.
Any suggestions on size?

djunkie
01-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Here we go!!!!! I'm sure someone will be in here shortly and pretty much tell you that caps are a useless waste.

Mr. Naudio
01-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Here we go!!!!! I'm sure someone will be in here shortly and pretty much tell you that caps are a useless waste.
what you gonna charge that cap with?

djunkie
01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Why don't you tell us. Just going by threads of the past on this.

Havasu Hangin'
01-15-2007, 05:39 PM
A Visa card? :idea:
Caps are useless...
...unless you're selling them...lol.

T-56
01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Well, I feel like an idiot...:idea:
What should I do about the "clipping"?
Driving the amp too hard...?
It being an older SoundStream amp, I would have thought it would hold it's own at 2 Ohms...:confused:

jbone
01-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Isn't clipping when the speaker gets more power than it can handle and is bottoming out???
J

jbone
01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
10-22, or disregard my last.
I just read up on the topic. Clipping is not due to overpowering.
J

T-56
01-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Isn't clipping when the speaker gets more power than it can handle and is bottoming out???
J
Hey J,
I read both of your posts and the sub seems to have the most "pop" in it (90%).
Needless to say, a SoundStream "SPL160" DVC 15" driver in a proper enclosure (the box is dead on) can never bottom out off of the sub channel of a USA305.
That's why I believe it is clipping.
I define clipping as the amp starving for amps and shutting down for a fraction of a second causing a "pop".

Havasu Hangin'
01-15-2007, 08:23 PM
I define clipping as the amp starving for amps and shutting down for a fraction of a second causing a "pop".
When an amp is trying to reproduce music, it is switching polarity...in a sine wave. "Clipping" is when the peaks exceed the maximum capability...it creates a "flat" or squared off area on the wave...instead of a smooth transition (which is the distortion you hear in the speakers).
Or something like that. :notam:
Clipping can damage speakers...usually by overheating them. Chances are your power supply in the amp is creating the clipping...which a cap (or twelve extra batteries and five alternators) won't help.
To solve it, you can:
1. Buy more amps
2. Turn the volume down a little

T-56
01-15-2007, 08:36 PM
instead of a smooth transition.
Or something like that. :notam:
To solve it, you can:
1. Buy more amps
2. Turn the volume down a little
Thanks mang.
Sounds like I'm trying to take a audiophile amp and drive it like an SPL or HCCA amp. That just won't work.;)
Sound about right?

Havasu Hangin'
01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Sounds like I'm trying to take a audiophile amp and drive it like an SPL or HCCA amp. That just won't work.;)
Sound about right?
I'd say it's probably just a loose nut on the volume knob? :idea:
You can always turn the gains down a bit...
...ah...nevermind.
:D

T-56
01-16-2007, 04:39 PM
I'd say it's probably just a loose nut on the volume knob? :idea:
That makes alot of sense...;)
Thanks again,
Robert Lone

Beer-30
01-16-2007, 04:51 PM
You might try upgrading the deck, if it is as old as the amp is. Older 1 or 2V output decks can clip easily prior to the amp getting the signal. Maybe the amp is ok at that throttle level, but the deck signal is falling off.
If it is a newer deck, but less than 5V outputs, you can try a line-driver to boost the signal to the amp and get a cleaner signal to amplify. The higher the input voltage / the cleaner the signal is.

T-56
01-16-2007, 06:30 PM
The deck is 2 yrs old.
I have an old Audio Control driver that I can put inline w/ it.
Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of that but it adds up.

Beer-30
01-16-2007, 07:35 PM
AudioControl makes several nice ones. That would be my suggestion and I have inquired with the real stereo gurus on here and they agree with the choice.

T-56
01-17-2007, 05:34 AM
AudioControl makes several nice ones. That would be my suggestion and I have inquired with the real stereo gurus on here and they agree with the choice.
I'll try that next.:)
Thanks again,
Robert Lone

thmper321
01-17-2007, 08:37 PM
There are two different ways that you can have clipping from an amplifier. One that was described earlier by driving an amp beyond what the power supply can handle. This is done by supplying too much input voltage to the amplifier from the head unit. If the gain control on the amp tops out at two volts and the head unit is supplying 5 volts then clipping will appear once the head unit sends a signal beyond the 2 volt threshold. The same can happen in reverse with the head unit clipping by turning the volume up too high and the amp just increases the clipped signal it is receiving. More than likely the head unit has more volts than the amp can handle considering the age of the two items so the first theory would be most likely.
The other way to make an amp clip is to either starve the amp of power or to drive it at an impedance that is lower than the amp is rated at. If the current source to the amp is bad, usually in cars its too small of power and ground cables, the amp will see serious voltage drops during high current draws. This causes the power supply to supply less voltage to the outputs and can create clipping.
Make sure that you are using high quality power and ground cables and the proper gauge cables also. The gauge wire I like to use is 4 gauge ar larger depending on the distance from the battery to the amps and the power output of the amps. 0 gauge would be the best with a distribution block.