PDA

View Full Version : Computer experts...

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 01:25 PM
I need help getting the internet on my daughters new to her laptop. When we click on the Internet icon on the desktop we get the Internet Properties dialog box instead of the Internet itself, any ideas why we aren't getting an internet connection???
Thanks

JB in so cal
01-16-2007, 01:29 PM
I need help getting the internet on my daughters new to her laptop. When we click on the Internet icon on the desktop we get the Internet Properties dialog box instead of the Internet itself, any ideas why we aren't getting an internet connection???
Thanks
Man. Talk about teeing one up:)
Wish I could help, but I can't.

GrapeApe
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
You already gave it a Virus you Moofer!!!:D :D
Glad I could help..
*** GrapeApe ***

Ziggy
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Are you trying to connect wireless w/o a wireless router in the house?
might need to splain yourself a little more.;)

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Are you trying to connect wireless w/o a wireless router in the house?
might need to splain yourself a little more.;)
We have a wireless router and the laptop has the wireless card, when she clicks on the Internet icon on the desktop she gets the Properties Dialog box, I'm fairly computer literate but this has me completely stumped... :confused:

Riverless
01-16-2007, 01:45 PM
what exactly are you getting in the properties box? any options to do anything?

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Man. Talk about teeing one up:)
Wish I could help, but I can't.
You already gave it a Virus you Moofer!!!:D :D
Glad I could help..
*** GrapeApe ***
what exactly are you getting in the properties box? any options to do anything?
Yeap, it's the standard properties box where you can chose your Home Page, etc... I've looked at all the options and am getting nothing...

JetBoatRich
01-16-2007, 01:53 PM
You are clicking on the IE icon and the properties come up?
Are you right clicking VS left?:confused:

Riverless
01-16-2007, 01:56 PM
that is what it sounds like. could your right and left mouse buttons be switched? they are switchable. i have to switch them for my users that are lefties.
try opening internet explorer from the start menu instead of the desktop.

soupersonic
01-16-2007, 02:00 PM
We had that problem with a hard wired router being a little far away from the comp.We had to go into the device manager,find the network adapter,go under properties and hit advanced tab,set it to 10 half/duplex instead of auto where it says speed and duplex. Good luck

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 02:02 PM
that is what it sounds like. could your right and left mouse buttons be switched? they are switchable. i have to switch them for my users that are lefties.
try opening internet explorer from the start menu instead of the desktop.
I thought of that also, I checked the Mouse Properties and the mouse button is set correctly, no matter where I try and log onto the Net I get the same result. his really has me baffled... :confused:

Riverless
01-16-2007, 02:10 PM
have you tried creating a new user account and logging in as the new user, and seeing if you continue to have the problem under a different user account?

Racey
01-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Sounds like the default left click somehow got changed to open the properties on the Desktop IE icon(you can tell by right clicking it and if 'properties' is in bold print on that drop down menu), if the one in the start menu works correctly just drag it to the desktop and get rid of the other one.

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 02:21 PM
have you tried creating a new user account and logging in as the new user, and seeing if you continue to have the problem under a different user account?
I'll try this and see what I get.
Sounds like the default left click somehow got changed to open the properties on the Desktop IE icon(you can tell by right clicking it and if 'properties' is in bold print on that drop down menu), if the one in the start menu works correctly just drag it to the desktop and get rid of the other one.
The one on the Start Menu does the same thing, no matter how I try and access the Internet I always get the same result. I did notice the bold print of the Properties when I right click but when check the mouse properties it shows the left button as the primary???

beever_retreever
01-16-2007, 02:21 PM
you could try this: Go to explorer and navigate to
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
Double click on the IEXPLORE.EXE icon. This is the actual target .exe that launches your IE browser. If it opens without any problems, delete the icon you have on your desktop and copy/paste the IEXPLORE.EXE icon to your desktop.
Hope it helps.

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
you could try this: Go to explorer and navigate to
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
Double click on the IEXPLORE.EXE icon. This is the actual target .exe that launches your IE browser. If it opens without any problems, delete the icon you have on your desktop and copy/paste the IEXPLORE.EXE icon to your desktop.
Hope it helps.
When I follow the directions that you have above I don't find a IEXPLORE.EXE icon, my options are CONNECTION WIZARD, PLUGINS AND SIGNUP, in those folders there isn't a .EXE file???

Riverless
01-16-2007, 02:41 PM
When I follow the directions that you have above I don't find a IEXPLORE.EXE icon, my options are CONNECTION WIZARD, PLUGINS AND SIGNUP, in those folders there isn't a .EXE file???
that could be your problem right there. sounds like IE did not install properly. where did you buy the laptop?

Bense468
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
when you click on IE icon you said it goes to Properties. So click at the top on the shortcut tab and make sure it says this.
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2073/exploreron6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
If it doesn't. You may need to re-install IE. Try above first.

beever_retreever
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
OK. Do a search for IEXPLORE.EXE - This should give you the location from where the actual target file is. I apologize for not clarifying, the O/S I'm looking at right now is Windows 2000. XP and Vista will probably have the .exe in different locations. Good Luck!
Also, try launching it through START > PROGRAMS > INTERNET EXPLORER. Does this method work?

Riverless
01-16-2007, 02:48 PM
OK. Do a search for IEXPLORE.EXE - This should give you the location from where the actual target file is. I apologize for not clarifying, the O/S I'm looking at right now is Windows 2000. XP and Vista will probably have the .exe in different locations. Good Luck!
Also, try launching it through START > PROGRAMS > INTERNET EXPLORER. Does this method work?
nope, i'm running xp and it is in the same location.

Bense468
01-16-2007, 02:49 PM
If you need to re-install IE. Go to the control panel then add remove programs then click on add remove windows components on the left hand side. you will then see this.
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3842/addremovebk8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Un-check IE. Then click continue. Let it un-install. Then go back and do the same thing "checking the box" to add IE. This should fix your problem.

Bense468
01-16-2007, 02:50 PM
XP is in same target location.

Riverless
01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
when you click on IE icon you said it goes to Properties. So click at the top on the shortcut tab and make sure it says this.
fyi...that shortcut tab won't be there unless it is an actual "shortcut". he probably has the IE icon that is automatically placed on the desktop when windows is installed.

Bense468
01-16-2007, 03:01 PM
fyi...that shortcut tab won't be there unless it is an actual "shortcut". he probably has the IE icon that is automatically placed on the desktop when windows is installed.
If it doesn't have a shortcut tab and is the original icon...go to advanced and click reset web settings or whatever it says. OR just delete IE like stated above and re-add through add remove windows components

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 03:03 PM
The "Target" is gray and wont allow me to type in the dialog box, it does say "Internet" in the box, I wonder if the wireless card may have thrown Internet Explorer into a frenzy?
Nope, that method doesn't work either, it sounds like Internet Explorer needs to be re-installed, wonder if I can download the program off of the Internet, save it to a CD and load it on the Laptop???

beever_retreever
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
You should be able to right click the Internet Explorer in the START > PROGRAMS menu. This should give you the ability to see the menu with the TARGET LOCATION info they are referring to. Good Luck!
You could also just go to your command line by clicking START > RUN and type:
http://www.yahoo.com
or simply
iexlpore.exe
If the Internet Explorer browser doesn't open, you probably need to reinstall it.

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
If you need to re-install IE. Go to the control panel then add remove programs then click on add remove windows components on the left hand side. you will then see this.
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3842/addremovebk8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Un-check IE. Then click continue. Let it un-install. Then go back and do the same thing "checking the box" to add IE. This should fix your problem.
Went to un-install Internet Explorer and guess what. No option, meaning no Internet Explorer on the PC. How do I get it?
You guys are the greatest, thanks so much for hanging in there with me, my daughter is a little frustrated with dear old Dad... :D

Bense468
01-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Is this a brand new system? OUT OF THE BOX?
There should be a cd with it on it. Or go here on another machine. and save it to that machine then burn it to disc. This is IE6 and you can upgrade to IE7 or mozilla firefox when you get it installed and on the internet.
here is a link.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/ie6setup.exe

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Is this a brand new system? OUT OF THE BOX?
There should be a cd with it on it. Or go here on another machine. and save it to that machine then burn it to disc. This is IE6 and you can upgrade to IE7 or mozilla firefox when you get it installed and on the internet.
here is a link.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/ie6setup.exe
No, I bought it from someone, so it's not brand new, I'll download it and burn it to a CD and see if that solves the problem, my guess is it will since it isn't loaded on the computer already. :D

Brady Bunch
01-16-2007, 03:40 PM
What's the String Beaner need with the Internet? Have you not told her how scary it is out here!:D

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 03:44 PM
What's the String Beaner need with the Internet? Have you not told her how scary it is out here!:D
It's not for the string beaner, she wants one bad but that aint gonna happen. This is her big sisters Laptop, she's using it for College... :)
Well, I downloaded and saved the IEXPLORER program to a CD, went to the Laptop and tried to install it, I get an error that tells me that there is a later version already on the PC and it can't install. I feel like beating my head against a wall, I've searched the PC and cannot find IE on it anywhere... :mad:

FryJet
01-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Go ahead and download Firefox from here.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Try doing the same thing as you just tried with IE and see if it will load up. Personaly I like Firefox better than IE but thats just me. Let us know what happens.
F.J.

Bense468
01-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Try doing the same thing as you just tried with IE and see if it will load up. Personaly I like Firefox better than IE but thats just me. Let us know what happens.
F.J.
I also like firefox better

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 04:22 PM
F.J.
Whala, installed Firefox and she now has the internet. I'm still very baffled at the IE issue, doesn't show it as an installed program but when I try and install it from the CD I burned it onto, nothing??? Oh well, she's gonna be happy, that's all that matters right now... :D
Thanks very much to all that helped me, I'm back to being a cool dad instead of a total dork... :D :D Thanks again, BarryMac

FryJet
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Sweet, glad it worked.
F.J.

Brady Bunch
01-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Look at that! This place isn't all about drama and bashing boat mfg's ......:D
RD still SUX.....:rolleyes:

JB in so cal
01-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Whala, installed Firefox and she now has the internet. I'm still very baffled at the IE issue, doesn't show it as an installed program but when I try and install it from the CD I burned it onto, nothing??? Oh well, she's gonna be happy, that's all that matters right now... :D
Thanks very much to all that helped me, I'm back to being a cool dad instead of a total dork... :D :D Thanks again, BarryMac
Perception is the key:) :D

FryJet
01-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Yep, theres a bunch of us undercover brain surgeons stumbling through this joint. ;)
F.J.

Riverless
01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
hi barry,
i'm glad you got her on the internet. :) it sounds like you have some corrupt or damaged files on the system that are causing the problems with IE. i don't want to be a party pooper, i just hope she doesn't have anymore problems with the pc because of this. best of luck.

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Perception is the key:) :D
Works for me, does it work for you??? Doubt it, cause you're a HOMO!!! :D
Pretty freaking cool, sometimes ***boat is hard to hate... :D :D
Yep, theres a bunch of us undercover brain surgeons stumbling through this joint. ;)
F.J.
Thanks again FryJet, I appreciate all of your help and advice, along with all the others that helped me. That JB in So Cal guy, he's just a Pickle Sniffer, I advise to stay away from him... :D

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 04:52 PM
hi barry,
i'm glad you got her on the internet. :) it sounds like you have some corrupt or damaged files on the system that are causing the problems with IE. i don't want to be a party pooper, i just hope she doesn't have anymore problems with the pc because of this. best of luck.
Thanks Riverless, I bought it from a very trustworthy person, I'm sure if there are more problems I will be taken care of. Thanks again...

Riverless
01-16-2007, 04:53 PM
that's good to hear :D

Bense468
01-16-2007, 04:57 PM
now that your online it will be a lot easier to fix your IE problem. Download IE7. Its nice to have both browsers, but I primarly use firefox.

BarryMac
01-16-2007, 04:59 PM
now that your online it will be a lot easier to fix your IE problem. Download IE7. Its nice to have both browsers, but I primarly use firefox.
Will do Bense, if I can get the Laptop out of her hands.;) Thanks very much...

shueman
01-16-2007, 06:36 PM
that's good to hear :D
Microsoft IE SUX....:D Good move to Firefox...

FryJet
01-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Microsoft IE SUX....:D Good move to Firefox...
I wouldnt say it sux. IE7 and Firefox are pretty equal, Firefox seems a little quicker and has alot more add ons that make it a little more functional. I've run into situations where one wouldnt open a page but the other would so having both is a pretty good idea. I also use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email client, now that to me is leaps and bounds better then Outlook Express.
F.J.