PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Jeeps

BowTie Rick
01-16-2007, 01:36 PM
I have a bike but lately I have been thinking of dumping it for a side by side. That would allow the wife and baby to tag along with me and the older daughter vs. hanging out at the trailer. Also, I am not getting any younger and it seems I hurt a lot worse when I fall these days. Anyway, I found a 1942 Willy's Jeep. It runs, but needs a full on restoration. One thing that caught my attention were bullet holes in the side; I was told it was actually in WW2. So my question is, would this be worth restoring vs. buying a turn key side by side? Yes, money matters. What do you all think?

riverbound
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
To restore an old jeep and try to make it as capable as a side by side will cost you WAY more money than buying a side by side, throwing in a cage and back seat.
I would say from a financial point and a reliablility point the side by side is the way to go.

djunkie
01-16-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a bike but lately I have been thinking of dumping it for a side by side. That would allow the wife and baby to tag along with me and the older daughter vs. hanging out at the trailer. Also, I am not getting any younger and it seems I hurt a lot worse when I fall these days. Anyway, I found a 1942 Willy's Jeep. It runs, but needs a full on restoration. One thing that caught my attention were bullet holes in the side; I was told it was actually in WW2. So my question is, would this be worth restoring vs. buying a turn key side by side? Yes, money matters. What do you all think?
What do you want to do with it? A friend of mine and his dad both have old Willy's. Ones a '42 and 1 is a '46. Both of them have over $15-$20k into them. Granted they are bad ass. The great thing about a Jeep is you can drive it on the street and use it as a second vehicle. The bad thing is all the costs that go with it are more than double of a Rhino.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Do you plan on restoring the Jeep to its 1942 condition, or making it a family vehicle? How much is the asking price? A back seat and roll bars don't cost that much, but suspension and upgraded motor from that flat 4 might. How much is a stock rhino and were you planning on upgrading that as well?
PM Sportin' Wood if you want a semi-accurate amount of what you would be into the Jeep for.

BowTie Rick
01-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Price is FREE. It's in Utah, I just need to pick it up. I would not be turning it into something crazy, just something to tool around in and not get stuck. We had a Willy's when I was a kid. It was bone stock and went anywhere and everywhere. I do think a side by side would be cheaper but doing a restoration is sort of fun.

2Driver
01-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Personally I would do an older, meaning 97 or newer Jeep TJ. Way more parts, way more reliable and 10 times better off roading. You should be able to get a decent machine for under the price of a Mod Rhino.

havaduner
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
SPAM ALERT! I got a 69 CJ5 for sale if you're interested.

Sportin' Wood
01-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Always wanted a bone stock no roll bar WWII vintage willy's with a steering upgrade and thats it. Bitchen cars. I have a freind with a stocker and he cruises it around town and sometimes around camp. Turns way more heads then a SXS. I have also seen some low budget flat fenders that will blow the doors off a TJ. Depends what you want and how much you like turning wrenches. Road trip to Utah is my Vote. Some day I'm gonna build a 60's style Jeep, flatty or early cj5 65-69 on the 5, with a Dauntless 225, a T18 or SM 465. a couple 44's and a big ole 8274 on the home grown bumper. Extra points for a fresno dash, some mustang tail lights and if its a flatty some Fresno doors. Of course finding some Trutracs might be kinda hard.:D
Rhino is easy, h*ll no down payment on your good credit. Plenty of good in both of them. What do them SXS cost nowadays anyway? I'd have the jeep kicking a$$ for $5-8 grand, it would be ugly but go anywhere.

Ultrafied
01-16-2007, 07:54 PM
If you aren't going to drive it much on the street and just want to play in desert hills etc. look at a used TJ or even a YJ. Slight cost for going through it mechanically, lifting and some new tires and that's it. Way cheaper then a new Ranger or Rhino if you find a good deal on the jeep itself. Family would luv it!:D

marty722
01-16-2007, 08:21 PM
you were side x side or something else. I ended up with a nice 1986 Suzuki Samurai thats already lifted with 31inch tires full rollbar and ready to roll on dirt or street for one third of the price of a Rhino. Now the family can go now... Plus I like the fact I have something to take on the road in case a hospitial trip is needed......

Kindsvater Flat
01-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Dumped this one for 5k.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_MVC-011F.JPG
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_MVC-012F.JPG

Thorsinc
01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
When you age its time for a cage :D

77charger
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Rick is big john stil workin at K&N? If so tell him i said hi Robert one of his shooting buddies.
oh yeah go for a jeep then go to calico area lots of trails for them ask john about it.

OCMerrill
01-16-2007, 09:22 PM
My last quad hurt me good. Actually it was no fault of the quad.
To save the possibility of Neck surgery I decided to give up the fast stuff and trail a 4x. This way I get to stay and play out in Gods Country.
I have never owned a Jeep before this one. I have had many 4x's though including one bitchen IH Scout II that I wheeled the piss out of years back.
A SxS will cost about the same as a decent 97-2000 TJ. Mods are mods. You can get by pretty cheap on jeep mods. SxS mods are spendy.
Our Jeep is my car sense I drive a construction truck all day.
Either way you will have peeps to go with.

BowTie Rick
01-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Rick is big john stil workin at K&N? If so tell him i said hi Robert one of his shooting buddies.
oh yeah go for a jeep then go to calico area lots of trails for them ask john about it.
Yes, Big john is still here. I will pass the message along.

BowTie Rick
01-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Always wanted a bone stock no roll bar WWII vintage willy's with a steering upgrade and thats it. Bitchen cars. I have a freind with a stocker and he cruises it around town and sometimes around camp. Turns way more heads then a SXS. I have also seen some low budget flat fenders that will blow the doors off a TJ. Depends what you want and how much you like turning wrenches. Road trip to Utah is my Vote. Some day I'm gonna build a 60's style Jeep, flatty or early cj5 65-69 on the 5, with a Dauntless 225, a T18 or SM 465. a couple 44's and a big ole 8274 on the home grown bumper. Extra points for a fresno dash, some mustang tail lights and if its a flatty some Fresno doors. Of course finding some Trutracs might be kinda hard.:D
Rhino is easy, h*ll no down payment on your good credit. Plenty of good in both of them. What do them SXS cost nowadays anyway? I'd have the jeep kicking a$$ for $5-8 grand, it would be ugly but go anywhere.
I do think I am leaning this way. Keep it more or less stock but mechanically sound. You really think it could be done for $5 - 8 Grand? That's well within the budget.

Big Kahunaa
01-17-2007, 09:17 AM
does the 42 have dimond shaped releaf on the drivers side and do the headlights sit behind the grill

Wet Dream
01-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Something to think about. I'm partial to the Jeeps, but you have to have a way to transport the vehicles. Jeeps are drivers and get themselves there, provided they are street legal. With a SXS or off road only Jeep, you will need a trailer, or if you have a big enough truck, the SXS will fit in the bed.

BowTie Rick
01-17-2007, 09:39 AM
The headlights are sort of recessed on the sides. Don't know what you mean by diamond shaped releaf. It looks like this but beat up...
http://www.motiontrends.com/2006/m01/jeep2/1942_willys_mb1.jpg

Big Kahunaa
01-17-2007, 09:45 AM
The headlights are sort of recessed on the sides. Don't know what you mean by diamond shaped releaf. It looks like this but beat up...
http://www.motiontrends.com/2006/m01/jeep2/1942_willys_mb1.jpg
thats a ford

Big Kahunaa
01-17-2007, 10:14 AM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/AzRiverChic/img002-1.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/AzRiverChic/img003.jpg
this is the 42 ford my dad built in the 80's you can see the dimond on the side that was there so the shovel would sit flat on the side ford and willys built military jeeps in 42 so you may be looking at a ford just to let you know BOW TIE rick j/k i would go a jeep over a side by side

BowTie Rick
01-17-2007, 10:55 AM
The one in Utah is a Willys, I just used a pic I found on a google search. Yes, it does have the thingy for the shovel. PS, I hate my user name. I never thought I would be here this long. I just had a few questions when I was building my boat and made something up. :notam: I should change it one of these days. Maybe just shorten it to BTR. I also thought about "Filter Nazi" like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld since I get tons of sponsorship requests looking for hand outs and turn more down than I accept. :D Knowing this place, people would take it the wrong way :rolleyes:

Big Kahunaa
01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
no filters for you for one year "Filter Nazi" have fun if you decide to build the jeep