PDA

View Full Version : Another Cat insurance story

nodigg
01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
So I called to cancel the policy on the sold deck boat and my insurance guy says to wait till I get the new deck boat or he will not be able to write me my cheap policy or ANY policy because its a cat. Seems Allstate quit cats too? but will continue to insure their exhisting customers. He said the new boat will not increase the rate much if at all but to be sure to wait. Anybody else seeing this happen?
I actually got to cancel with no penalty because I had another boat on the policy but DANG that was scary.

dumbandyoung
01-16-2007, 07:04 PM
yea.. ive made 3 phone calls today. all have dropped cats. anyone have a good insurance company?? if so pm me. thanks

Nord
01-16-2007, 07:04 PM
That sucks. Well, there are plenty of cats for sale right now and no insurance for them!!

nodigg
01-16-2007, 07:13 PM
My guys says they quit letting "deck boats" fly under the radar last year at his company. Looks like cats could become dinosaurs.

Kilrtoy
01-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Im curious NODIGG, what did you buy

nodigg
01-16-2007, 07:19 PM
The new 26' Cheetah Deck boat.

andy01
01-16-2007, 07:28 PM
If anybody wants my guys number send me a pm, otherwise I will try and get it up tomorrow morning. Two new games in town on the cat deal.

nodigg
01-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Good info Andy

phebus
01-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Saw the old boat at Car Toyz today.

BigDoug
01-16-2007, 09:25 PM
I thought Cheetah only had a 24 and a 28 ?...................are they making a 26 now too ? :)

phebus
01-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Brand new, in fact Rick's may be the first.

jayd_jr
01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Ricks, if I am correct is the 4th..... You will see a ton of the new 26 soon.... Great price and a nice boat.

Jrocket
01-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Dont be suprised if things dont work out in the end though.

mbrown2
01-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Dont be suprised if things dont work out in the end though.
I would hope so cause I just don't think the 100K-140K cat market can sustain 6K a year insurance long term. Unless something changes, I see the bottom falling out of the low to medium cat market for anything higher then a 496ho....then you will have 70mph cats and a big gap until 200K+ cats where owners will not be as hindered by the high insurance cost..

Jrocket
01-16-2007, 10:32 PM
I would hope so cause I just don't think the 100K-140K cat market can sustain 6K a year insurance long term. Unless something changes, I see the bottom falling out of the low to medium cat market for anything higher then a 496ho....then you will have 70mph cats and a big gap until 200K+ cats where owners will not be as hindered by the high insurance cost..
What I was was getting at is I'd hate to see some poor guy pay his super low premium only to find out later he got cancelled or they had it figured wrong and now he's in the 2-4k a year range.Alot of people cant make those kind of ins payments and still enjoy boating.Some of us figured that expense into th game before hand,thats all Im saying.

mbrown2
01-17-2007, 12:53 AM
What I was was getting at is I'd hate to see some poor guy pay his super low premium only to find out later he got cancelled or they had it figured wrong and now he's in the 2-4k a year range.Alot of people cant make those kind of ins payments and still enjoy boating.Some of us figured that expense into th game before hand,thats all Im saying.
I thought you meant better rates in were in the near future. My feeling is I don't think rates will ever come back to where they were 3 years ago....I think the 400-500% increase over three years ago is here to stay for anything over 500hp.

Tequila-John
01-17-2007, 05:42 AM
scary stuff.

shadow
01-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Every year i think about getting a new cat with more HP and every year think about dealing with the insurance head ache.
I guess it's not all bad having a 5yr old boat & paying $700 a year.
Good luck to all of the people trying to insure new cats i don't envy you.:)

Sandbar Mike
01-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Every year i think about getting a new cat with more HP and every year think about dealing with the insurance head ache.
I second that! No Envy here either. $650 a yr

nodigg
01-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Mine was was supposed to be the first but decided to pick my own graphics sorta and waited till some bugs got worked out of the new design.

Not So Fast
01-17-2007, 07:49 AM
So I called to cancel the policy on the sold deck boat and my insurance guy says to wait till I get the new deck boat or he will not be able to write me my cheap policy or ANY policy because its a cat. Seems Allstate quit cats too? but will continue to insure their exhisting customers. He said the new boat will not increase the rate much if at all but to be sure to wait. Anybody else seeing this happen?
I actually got to cancel with no penalty because I had another boat on the policy but DANG that was scary.
Now if you had read my thread about ***boat Insurance qoutes I stated that exact scenario, do not cancel an existing policy if you are buying another boat and it was pertaining to an AllState policy as per a friend who owns an AllState agency. Listen to me Grasshopper, it is from wisdom I speak:smile: NSF

nodigg
01-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Now if you had read my thread about ***boat Insurance qoutes I stated that exact scenario, do not cancel an existing policy if you are buying another boat and it was pertaining to an AllState policy as per a friend who owns an AllState agency. Listen to me Grasshopper, it is from wisdom I speak:smile: NSF
So I guess I need to spend MORE time on the forums???:idea: :D

Kilrtoy
01-17-2007, 08:01 AM
I dont buy it.
I had allstate for 7 years. i called to insure my cat and they said no problem. I was very ascertive in my dealing with them in regards to ins on the new boat. they asured me NO PROBLEm. I am a long time customer. Well by the time they finally got to the bottom line. they said NOPE.....
Hence Markel is my only friend. I have heard many stories of ins... I just hope nothing ever happens and you all dont come up on a VERY SHORT end of a very SHORT stick. I'll pay my dollars and have a piece of mind

Focker
01-17-2007, 08:12 AM
u mean a 5 year old hull with an 06 engine:D

Not So Fast
01-17-2007, 08:18 AM
I dont buy it.
I had allstate for 7 years. i called to insure my cat and they said no problem. I was very ascertive in my dealing with them in regards to ins on the new boat. they asured me NO PROBLEm. I am a long time customer. Well by the time they finally got to the bottom line. they said NOPE.....
Hence Markel is my only friend. I have heard many stories of ins... I just hope nothing ever happens and you all dont come up on a VERY SHORT end of a very SHORT stick. I'll pay my dollars and have a piece of mind
What dont you buy?? I'm not lying about what I said for Gods sake. It actually happened to a buddy exactly like I said! He transfered his existing policy to a newer boat and it is in existence to this day. AllState is a pretty big ins. co. isnt it, so whats the problem. NSF

Big Kahunaa
01-17-2007, 08:39 AM
insurance will kill the cat's like gas did to the jet boats in the 70's

Troy McClure
01-17-2007, 08:44 AM
yea.. ive made 3 phone calls today. all have dropped cats. anyone have a good insurance company?? if so pm me. thanks
A company called Trafalgar Marine in Irvine is writing high performance boats now. They are NOT going through Markel and are insuring directly. 1-800-221-3884. Tell them Leah sent you and they will take good care of you. (I'm not Leah, she is a good friend of mine, she works for Trafalgar but only writes commercial)
Not sure of their rates as I had already renewed for the year with Markel about the time they started insuring and not just brokering. However, they were pretty sure that they would be very competitive compared to Markel.
Let me know if it works out for ya, good luck.

DCBDaytona
01-17-2007, 08:54 AM
I dont buy it.
I think this should be judged on a case by case basis. It's definately a risk/reward type scenario...but it depends whether the boat is financed or paid for. If it's financed one must look at the risk depending on the % they put down, etc. Hell, if the boat is 100% financed, why go through Markel? The owner has nothing to lose. If the boat is paid for, another conundrum evolves...And it depends who the buyer is and the risk they are willing to take depending on their financial backing. Hell, some wealthy guys don't even bother with insurance.

Dave C
01-17-2007, 09:07 AM
This is not new information. Big insurance companies have been denying policies of cats for years..... :mad: :mad:
There has only been one or two legit insurers of cats for the last couple of years.:mad:

Kilrtoy
01-17-2007, 11:23 AM
What dont you buy?? I'm not lying about what I said for Gods sake. It actually happened to a buddy exactly like I said! He transfered his existing policy to a newer boat and it is in existence to this day. AllState is a pretty big ins. co. isnt it, so whats the problem. NSF
I am not saying you are lying... I just am basing my thoughts of my personal experience with them...Some people do slip thru...

Kilrtoy
01-17-2007, 11:24 AM
I think this should be judged on a case by case basis. It's definately a risk/reward type scenario...but it depends whether the boat is financed or paid for. If it's financed one must look at the risk depending on the % they put down, etc. Hell, if the boat is 100% financed, why go through Markel? The owner has nothing to lose. If the boat is paid for, another conundrum evolves...And it depends who the buyer is and the risk they are willing to take depending on their financial backing. Hell, some wealthy guys don't even bother with insurance.
Agreed 100%, If I financed my boat, I would do these hokey companies for 1K a year

whiteworks
01-17-2007, 12:03 PM
these bastards have us by the nuts, write they check and if somthing happens hopefully youll have them by the nuts.