PDA

View Full Version : Paint job for an FJ help

BadKachina
01-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Ok, it's not a new one. It's a 76 FJ that I'm giving to my 15 year old. Mechanically it's all original with 40k miles on it. (The Toy was grandpa's) All the rubber (hoses, bushings, belts seals and tires) are all less than a year old. So it runs and drives perfect. The interior is original but still in good condition. It has a lift and a winch on it with 33" BFG's. Paint however isn't so great. It's been in Phx it's whole life so there isn't any rust but it's been under a carport with partial sun for 30 years. My son and I were thinking of painting it camo. My question is, the vehicle is actually kinda valuable in certain circles, especially in it's original condition with low miles, so should I spend the money and paint it the original color? Or should I let my kid paint it camo knowing that we could always return it to original down the road? He's going to want to learn how to wheel it and will probably scratch it up learning.

phebus
01-16-2007, 09:17 PM
I used to have a '76 FJ40. It was great off road, but the hobby horsing on the freeway would tear you up. Woke it up with a new carb and some headers.
I say if it's his vehicle, you can advise him, but let it be his decision. Aslong as he doesn't cut it up, or wreck it, it can always be brought back to stock. Besides, I don't think they are worth good money based on looks, but more so on what they can do.

HocusPocus
01-16-2007, 09:20 PM
since it looks like it will be his first car and a 4x i wouldn't spend alot of money making it nice. im sure he will want to go wheeling in it. :)

Outnumbered
01-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Keep it original.

Outnumbered
01-16-2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.tlc4x4.com/sales2.asp

BadKachina
01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
:eek: :eek: I figured the truck was worth maybe mid teens.........I may have to re-think this vehicle and get him something a little cheaper.:idea: Selling it isn't an option though, I promised to keep it between me and the boy.

Outnumbered
01-17-2007, 12:59 AM
:eek: :eek: I figured the truck was worth maybe mid teens.........I may have to re-think this vehicle and get him something a little cheaper.:idea: Selling it isn't an option though, I promised to keep it between me and the boy.
Just take some light rubbing compound to it to bring it back to life a little. then let him drive it around and enjoy it. I would not paint it unless you do it right. Just use it and have fun. He can restore it later after he puts a few dings on it and makes a few mistakes.

Never Too Old
01-17-2007, 07:20 AM
IH8MUD.com is a great place for LC enthusiasts.
Is yours a 40 or 55?
No rust is pretty rare. They don't call them "iron pigs" without reason.

Troy McClure
01-17-2007, 08:15 AM
DAMN. I always wanted one of those growing up. Wish I would have bought one now.
$40k + for a 25 year old 4X...damn that hindsight. :jawdrop:

Jordy
01-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Hey Paul,
Take it to Louie. I'm sure he could come up with something that you'd never see on the road again!!! :D :D :D

phebus
01-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Hey Paul,
Take it to Louie. I'm sure he could come up with something that you'd never see on the road again!!! :D :D :D
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

Froggystyle
01-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Let's all look at it this way folks... it isn't going to get sold, it has sentimental value and in the best case, full on original NOS collector version of it we are talking about $28K. That puts this one likely along with all of the other FJ's in the trader at mid teens. Cheaper than almost anything you could go buy him, a lot more fun and with the aforementioned sentimentality.
Let him paint it any color he wants. It is either his car, or it isn't. I have never seen someone love a collectors item... car or otherwise.
I think it would be cool in camo personally.

BadKachina
01-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey Paul,
What do you think, a couple of wizards or goblins???:eek: :D

BadKachina
01-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Let's all look at it this way folks... it isn't going to get sold, it has sentimental value and in the best case, full on original NOS collector version of it we are talking about $28K. That puts this one likely along with all of the other FJ's in the trader at mid teens. Cheaper than almost anything you could go buy him, a lot more fun and with the aforementioned sentimentality.
Let him paint it any color he wants. It is either his car, or it isn't. I have never seen someone love a collectors item... car or otherwise.
I think it would be cool in camo personally.
I'm leaning more to let him customize it the way he wants. I also think camo with some black wheels and Swampers would look pretty cool if it's done right. ;)