PDA

View Full Version : regel coating

axkiker
01-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Hey im contemplating spraying some gell coat for the first time. I have been reading somewhere on here that they now have an additive that you can use to make gel spray out a little more like auto paint.
Any suggestions as to the process needed. Any thoughts on the clear gelcoat top coats that they have now.
thanks

victorfb
01-19-2007, 11:37 PM
i have used duratech clear with great success, and i believe there is another product very similar. PM nuckinfuts here on the boards and he can tell you the other stuff. he used it and says its great. and yes you can also get the duratech thinning agent you mix with the color to help thin and create a glossier finish. i believe duratech is a duracoat product.

victorfb
01-19-2007, 11:43 PM
as for spraying like auto paint. i dont think so. i use a 2.2 tip with my gun to spray gel and works great.(devilbiss HVLP) i also use the plastic bag liners to help with clean up between re-fills of the gun/cup when spraying large areas. the tip will clog if you dont clean the gun often and then you just wasted a full cup of activated gel. spary time is very short so go quikly. i would suggest reading up on as much internet info as possible before you start the project. then try a small projects first. best tip to give....... buy lots of acetone. youll need it. which reminds me, i have thinned the gell with no more than 5% acetone with no problem. allthough all manufactures say not to.