PDA

View Full Version : USS Oriskany

Jbb
01-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Gone... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEy35JycMQ)

TOBTEK
01-17-2007, 12:00 PM
saw that on Discovery. Liked how they rigged the boat to float off the deck with all the computer equippment.

Jim W
01-17-2007, 12:12 PM
In this age of recycling....
Seems like a waste of good steel.
Be good, Jim

Wet Dream
01-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Be good, Jim
I watched the program. They did sell what they could. They weren't able to get anymore out of it. I don't remember what the exact words were, but the market wasn't there.

Infomaniac
01-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Be good, Jim
They tried many times to sell it for scrap. Couldnt get it done.
Way too much clean up of toxic stuff for a scrap outfit to deal with.

Jbb
01-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Narrated version (http://www.videosift.com/?domains=www.videosift.com&search=oriskany)

Sleek-Jet
01-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Wasn't the Oriskany the carrier the had the big fire do to the missile firing off on the flight deck???
May that grand old lady rest in piece...
And don't forget that Viper served on the Oriskany with Duke Mitchell... :D

Boozer
01-17-2007, 01:24 PM
They tried many times to sell it for scrap. Couldnt get it done.
Way too much clean up of toxic stuff for a scrap outfit to deal with.
Is it now considered a dive site or what?

Jbb
01-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Wasn't the Oriskany the carrier the had the big fire do to the missile firing off on the flight deck???
May that grand old lady rest in piece...
And don't forget that Viper served on the Oriskany with Duke Mitchell... :D
The John Mccain incident?

Sherpa
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
its not "just" a dive site, it's an awesome dive site..........
I'd love to dive her......
--Sherpa

Sleek-Jet
01-17-2007, 01:32 PM
The John Mccain incident?
Yeah... I think that was the one...

rrrr
01-17-2007, 01:58 PM
McCain's A-4 Skyhawk was fully fueled and armed when a missile on a F-4 Phantom fired across the deck of the USS Forrestal and struck his parked aircraft.
He managed to get out of the aircraft to safety, but the resulting explosions and fires killed 136 sailors that day. The Forrestal had been deployed and reported for duty on Yankee Station off North Vietnam for only 4 1/2 days when the accident occurred. It was the worst disaster for the Navy since WWII.
The Forrestal limped back to the US for repairs. McCain volunteered to transfer to the USS Oriskany and was posted to an A-4 attack squadron that was making daily calls to Hanoi. He was shot down by a SAM missile, landed in a lake in Hanoi. After being fished out he was taken to the "Hanoi Hilton" where he was kept as a POW for 5 years.
The Oriskany had suffered a catastrophic fire just a few months before when a sailor panicked and threw a burning magnesium flare into a locker containing over 600 more flares. The fire killed 44, most of them pilots of the Air Wing berthed below the fire's starting place.

TAF
01-17-2007, 02:00 PM
I watched the program. They did sell what they could. They weren't able to get anymore out of it. I don't remember what the exact words were, but the market wasn't there.
I thought recycling and saving the enviroment wasn't suppose to have anything to do with making money but again this is America. Dang, couldn't they have made a floating homeless shelter and soup kitchen out of it? Maybe Opra could have made a school here in USA (instead of some third world country) for the poor?:idea:

Trailer Park Casanova
01-17-2007, 02:16 PM
saw that on Discovery. Liked how they rigged the boat to float off the deck with all the computer equippment.
Their were cameras in that boat too.
Fox news had shown some of that footage as well.

spectratoad
01-17-2007, 03:38 PM
No that was either the USS Forrestal or the Kitty Hawk. Can't remember.

Jim W
01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Well.... Here in NY we recycle about everything.
Cardboard and corrigated paper
colored glass
clear glass
all the plastic containers, and bottles have a 5 cent deposit
shopping bags
Anything metal you can either take to a scrap yard for money or put into the town's metal dumpster.....
Why am I cleaning out and recycling my soup cans when 2,500 tons of prime military steel went to the bottom of the ocean????
Just taking a guess here but at a 3" thick steel hull wouldnt 5 sq. ft. equal the usual american car?
Yeah, scrapping that big ass ship out would take a huge effort, but building it was even more of an effort.
In Europe, cars are required to be 100% recycable (sp?)
I think it's time for the goverment to step up and turn these big ships into scrap. They did it with the world Trade center steel.
Be good, Jim

Jim W
01-17-2007, 04:29 PM
One of my neighbors refused to recycle.
He says....."everything came out of the ground", by refusing to recycle, he is just putting it back in.
I guess the goverment agrees.....
Be good, Jim

Sleek-Jet
01-18-2007, 07:04 AM
McCain's A-4 Skyhawk was fully fueled and armed when a missile on a F-4 Phantom fired across the deck of the USS Forrestal and struck his parked aircraft.
He managed to get out of the aircraft to safety, but the resulting explosions and fires killed 136 sailors that day. The Forrestal had been deployed and reported for duty on Yankee Station off North Vietnam for only 4 1/2 days when the accident occurred. It was the worst disaster for the Navy since WWII.
The Forrestal limped back to the US for repairs. McCain volunteered to transfer to the USS Oriskany and was posted to an A-4 attack squadron that was making daily calls to Hanoi. He was shot down by a SAM missile, landed in a lake in Hanoi. After being fished out he was taken to the "Hanoi Hilton" where he was kept as a POW for 5 years.
The Oriskany had suffered a catastrophic fire just a few months before when a sailor panicked and threw a burning magnesium flare into a locker containing over 600 more flares. The fire killed 44, most of them pilots of the Air Wing berthed below the fire's starting place.
That explains my confusion (at least somewhat.. :D ) Thanks.

Infomaniac
01-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Yep the USS Forrestal eaned the nickname Forest Fire after that one. Then McCain was a POW in Hanoi for many years after surviving that. In the Navy video you can see him climb out on his pitot probe and jump into the fire.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-18-2007, 07:41 AM
colored glass
clear glass
shopping bags
Anything metal you can either take to a scrap yard for money or put into the town's metal dumpster.....
Why am I cleaning out and recycling my soup cans when 2,500 tons of prime military steel went to the bottom of the ocean????
Just taking a guess here but at a 3" thick steel hull wouldnt 5 sq. ft. equal the usual american car?
Yeah, scrapping that big ass ship out would take a huge effort, but building it was even more of an effort.
I think it's time for the goverment to step up and turn these big ships into scrap. They did it with the world Trade center steel.
Be good, Jim
Their used to be the Gillette safety razor blade factory right off the Hudson. The US Navy used to sell ships to them and right on the spot they turned them into blades.
Environmental laws put a halt to that.
Most old ships (just about all) today are crashed on a beach in Pakistan and busted down and recycled by contractors.
Nat Graph channel did a teriffic story on that.

rrrr
01-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Their used to be the Gillette safety razor blade factory right off the Hudson. The US Navy used to sell ships to them and right on the spot they turned them into blades.
LOL I always wondered about that. Had a friend that served on the USS Ticonderoga, same class carrier as the Oriskany. He used to tell stories about being stationed off Vietnam and say "But that was before Gillette turned the Tico into razor blades"..... :D

Screemy1
01-18-2007, 06:51 PM
colored glass
clear glass
shopping bags
Be good, Jim
It is not all bad, they are good as artificial reefs, ocean life is abundant at those sites after a few years.... actually helps in a strange way, also the site will be used as a recreational dive site for years to come.... in a another way honoring the ones that have served...... My ols ship the USS America CV 66 is at the bottom.... she was sold for recycle to three differant companys, all never could afford the complete deconstruction.... she ended up as a test ship on how modern weapons destroy a modern aircraft carrier..... the USS America was the same class carrier as the Forisstal.... we had a TV in our shop that was from her.....

Sherpa
01-18-2007, 08:05 PM
I have no idea what is costs to dismantle a ship like that; oxy/acet, huge
steel-shearing excavators, etc, man power.......
look at it this way, that ship IS still serving a purpose. a good one.
artificial reefs are excellent for fisheries.......... in most conditions, fish
will habitat an artificial reef within days......... it makes for alot of multi-use
recreational uses..........
--Sherpa