PDA

View Full Version : Steering ball whatcha ma callits

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Who sells them steering balls? i believe they use 3 bolts and have a pivot ball for the steering cable. Ill try to look for a pic of one....

SmokinLowriderSS
01-17-2007, 04:29 PM
It's a SPEEDBALL (just not the kind that offed John Belushi).
Check farm supply places like Orchelins, Tractor Supply Company, Attwoods, and JC Whitney (who has EVERYTHING I think).
They are not legal on-road anymore so have become a farm-tractor only item pretty much.
JC Whitney may have some neat ones like 8-balls or a skulls.

Wet Dream
01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Check farm supply places like Orchelins, Tractor Supply Company, Attwoods, and JC Whitney (who has EVERYTHING I think).
They are not legal on-road anymore so have become a farm-tractor only item pretty much.
I'm not sure 396 is thinking about the same thing you are. He mentioned steering cable. Anyhow, the steering wheel pivot ball thingy is legal. Maybe not is cars, but semis use them and are legal.

P-Money
01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Suicide Knob?

P-Money
01-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Suicide Knob?
here ya go
http://www.thehotrodgirl.com/suicideknobs.html

Nucking futs
01-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Well I think Dana marine, Rex, Eddie marine, HTP and so on ..... All have them or can get them. I picked mine up from steelcomp at a steel....:D
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Images/CategoryImages/catimage_327.gif

Xerophobic
01-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I think he means the units pictured here that the cables pass thru on the pump bracket. Id have to ask who makes them but I know we sell them
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722fxpumpr.JPG
Cheers

fleetimus
01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
I got mine from Duane

Taylorman
01-17-2007, 05:48 PM
I got mine from Hi Tech. They are made by American Turbine i think.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/DCP_3624.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Those are those ones;) Thanks fellas...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Suicide Knob?
Not those you knuckleheads:D:D You 2 are silly:D:D You dont want to be holding on to those at 100mph:eek:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-17-2007, 06:39 PM
I think he means the units pictured here that the cables pass thru on the pump bracket. Id have to ask who makes them but I know we sell them
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722fxpumpr.JPG
Cheers
Question?? Im not flamming ya on this one bit but why the rubber hose from the pump to the transom? Why dont you use steel braided? Especially where you guys run?

SmokinLowriderSS
01-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Hmmmm seems I missed the word "cable". LMAO. Sorry 396. :D

BrendellaJet
01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
ooh, good question, I need one of these too. How much?

Xerophobic
01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Question?? Im not flamming ya on this one bit but why the rubber hose from the pump to the transom? Why dont you use steel braided? Especially where you guys run?
No offense taken but its a raceboat and we focus on form following function. What you see there works and we can certainly add braided if you'd like.
Its certainly not an issue of reliability. I don't think that pump setup is going to win any beauty contests anyway lol.
Then again I also doubt you'd be copmplaining when you see that stock small block ZZ4 boat passing you doing 84 mph
;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722fxtunnelsiderr.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722funinthesun.JPG
Cheers

Squirtcha?
01-18-2007, 03:07 PM
That's one badass looking boat. Too bad I couldn't fit my family in it.
I'd buy one in a heartbeat otherwise.
Who knows.............someday as a second boat maybe..........

Devilman
01-18-2007, 03:13 PM
No offense taken but its a raceboat and we focus on form following function. What you see there works and we can certainly add braided if you'd like.
Its certainly not an issue of reliability. I don't think that pump setup is going to win any beauty contests anyway lol.
Then again I also doubt you'd be copmplaining when you see that stock small block ZZ4 boat passing you doing 84 mph
;)
Cheers
Damn, those are some bad ass boats. I've been messing around watching some of your videos & some others all afternoon. I could definitely get into some of that riverrunning. Lakes are ok, but get boring.....:rollside:

Xerophobic
01-18-2007, 03:19 PM
We keep saying sooner or later the secret will be out and they will start showing up down there more and more often. Like I just stated that black boat does low/mid 80s with a BONE STOCK ZZ4 crate engine!
Food for thought, how much HP does your boat have???? (ZZ4 rated at 355)
Cheers
Edit
Says who squircha? hehe
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722Gator_Tunnel.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722Sharkwet.JPG
Does your boat really have that much more room in it? (Im actually seriously curious)
Oh and yea I agree, baddassssss
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722fxtunnelfrontr.JPG

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-18-2007, 03:29 PM
That orange boat is plain sick!!!!! I like the look of it! Very nice indeed;)

Xerophobic
01-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Gator jetboats in MO did that white/tear green/orange boat
they do some awesome stuff with our bare hulls
This boat by them is a super nice package and i think for sale
http://www.gatorjetboats.com/Lance_Finished2_op_800x358.jpg
Cheers

Bigern
01-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Killer lookin set-up, don't know if I would drive on the right side though, (driven a few bayliners not mine)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-18-2007, 05:37 PM
;)
Cheers
Love your boats in all, BUT its going to take more then 84 to pass me;) I was just curious about the hose because you guys run through some rough stuff. How often do you guys change them? Out here at our lake, you would be changing that hose every year atleast;) THe water would eat it alive!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Gator jetboats in MO did that white/tear green/orange boat
they do some awesome stuff with our bare hulls
This boat by them is a super nice package and i think for sale
http://www.gatorjetboats.com/Lance_Finished2_op_800x358.jpg
Cheers
I remember that boat. That pump is like 30 feet long:eek: What is the purpose of it being that long:confused:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Look at the bitting edge of the shoe:eek: For some reason, that doesnt look right. I though that the bitting edge should NOT be past the transom!!!!

Xerophobic
01-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Oh I wish I had that pic i saved a while back of the nozzles at the New Zealand worlds, they made that pump look short!
trust me when I say it works and we don't run a shoe. ;)
Cheers
p.s how much HP you running and whats your top speed?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh I wish I had that pic i saved a while back of the nozzles at the New Zealand worlds, they made that pump look short!
trust me when I say it works and we don't run a shoe. ;)
Cheers
p.s how much HP you running and whats your top speed?
I hope that you dont think that I am poking at you. I am just curious because I was taught and told different. Im really just trying to understand the boats that you guys run. Why dont you guys run a shoe? Rocks etc??
My new hull is a gullwing with a new 540 BBC hp estimated 850-900. Motor will be done in march;) I know, I know its probablly double the hp that you guys run;) I respect your rides!! You guys are crazy and the videos are very impressive;)

old rigger
01-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Love your boats in all, BUT its going to take more then 84 to pass me
Apples and oranges 396. You might pass him in a straight line on good water, but in every other aspect, the other 99% of real world water conditions that we run on, he's gonna hand you your ass in a brown bag.
I like gullwings as much as the next guy, and they do one thing very well. But these hulls that Xero builds and runs are simply amazing. Be pretty cool to see some down here in So Cal.

jrork
01-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I might have just messed myself looking at that boat......bitchin is all I know to say....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Apples and oranges 396. You might pass him in a straight line on good water, but in every other aspect, the other 99% of real world water conditions that we run on, he's gonna hand you your ass in a brown bag.
I like gullwings as much as the next guy, and they do one thing very well. But these hulls that Xero builds and runs are simply amazing. Be pretty cool to see some down here in So Cal.
I agree with ya on that one old rigger;) They are crazy canadians and run in some serious rough water conditions;) I wouldnt attempt that by any means....

Xerophobic
01-19-2007, 10:41 AM
No offense taken 396 I am actually curious tho what numbers you expect from that kind of power in your hull. I hope there are 3 digits! ;)
850-900 would easily put you well into the 100's in a 21 tunnel, over 110 depending on setup/interior etc Our race tunnels have broken 100 with much less than that with a very agressive and 'loose' setup
Old rigger thanks for the compliments we want to see our boats down there too! (handing out asses left and right haha) And your dead on that these boats are made to run and handle alot of things that make other boaters tremble (and put their boats on trailers)
Cheers

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-19-2007, 11:06 AM
No offense taken 396 I am actually curious tho what numbers you expect from that kind of power in your hull. I hope there are 3 digits! ;)
850-900 would easily put you well into the 100's in a 21 tunnel, over 110 depending on setup/interior etc Our race tunnels have broken 100 with much less than that with a very agressive and 'loose' setup
Old rigger thanks for the compliments we want to see our boats down there too! (handing out asses left and right haha) And your dead on that these boats are made to run and handle alot of things that make other boaters tremble (and put their boats on trailers)
Cheers
I am like the others on here. I would love to see and ride in some of those boats. They are very good looking hulls with killer lines;)
I am shooting for 110's but we will see. Im a trail and error guy. I do all of my own R&D so we can say that Im a beginner;) You gus definately got your schit together up there in canada;)
_spit

old rigger
01-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Old rigger thanks for the compliments we want to see our boats down there too! (handing out asses left and right haha) And your dead on that these boats are made to run and handle alot of things that make other boaters tremble (and put their boats on trailers)Cheers
Ever since someone stuck up a link showing footage of some of the races you guys run in, I've been in awe of those boats. I also love the fact that a good number of you do it with a sbc too, proving most of the jet 'guru's' who live and die by the BBC wrong...you don't need a big block to push a jet boat fast. Nothing much is new in the fiberglass jet boat world, and it's been stagnant really for a few decades. Same bottoms, same school of thought. A little change in pump set up maybe and gobs of over the counter horsepower that wasn't avaliable to the average guy just a few years back, but little else. And to be honest, that works just fine and will continue to do so. But what you guys build and what you do with what you build....THAT is thinking outside the box.
How many miles are the races you run? I can see one of your boats winning the Parker 300, a topic that came up in another thread of yours, very handily. There is a speed limit now in the race, so it's not like the old days in that respect, and until the really fast enduro boats start to show up to it, the outboards, I see no reason why you wouldn't bag the win. No disrespect to the vintage and newer Raysons, no ones a bigger fan of the older boats than I am, but I just don't see it being much of a race if your engine stayed together.
396, what kind of gullwing are you building? Got another thread with some pics?

Xerophobic
01-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Rigger we want to come to that race for sure it just clashed with the worlds this year. Timing for next years will be far better for us to make a showing.
I have not heard about this speed limit please elabourate there???
The World race this year will be 590 miles spread over 8 days. I will paste the itinerary here for your curiosity. Its is a grueling schedule indeed. Survival is always key and most of these legs must be run at WOT or close to it. A good many of "NTjetboater"'s video's on youtube highlight the very rivers we will be running on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xcBVvP9Z4E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfGASCx8YuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH001MdGBmE
(while Im not personally a fan of circuit races, and I know alot of guys aren't, but watch this whole video and get a good idea of what you go thru on just one lap, after minute 3 it gets pretty interesting haha)
Cheers
June 28/07 Whitecourt Registration, Tech Inspection 10:00 am - 7:00 p.m.
Show & Shine
Driver's Meeting 8:00 p.m.
June 29/07 Whitecourt Circuit Races - 6 laps 11:00 a.m. 48 miles
June 30/07 Peace River Circuit Races - 5 laps 10:00 a.m. 60 miles
July 01/07 Peace River Peace River to Watino 10:00 a.m. 55 miles
Watino to Peace River 2:00 p.m. 55 miles
July 02/07 Grande Prairie Grande Prairie to Canfor Bridge 10:00 a.m. 60 miles
Canfor Bridge to Grande Prairie 2:00 p.m 60 miles
Driver's Meeting 8:00 p.m.
Barbeque & Awards
July 03/07 DAY OFF RACING
July 04/07 Grande Prairie Grande Prairie to Wapiti Gardens 10:00 a.m. 40 miles
Wapiti Gardens to Bezanson Bridge 2:00 p.m. 63 miles
July 05/07 Whitecourt Whitecourt to Windfall Bridge 9:00 a.m. 18 miles
Windfall to Whitecourt 11:30 a.m. 18 miles
Circuit Races - 3 laps 2:00 p.m. 24 miles
July 06/07 Whitecourt Whitecourt to Blue Ridge Bridge 9:00 a.m. 15.5 miles
Blue Ridge to Whitecourt 11:00 a.m. 15.5 miles
Circuit Races - 3 laps 2:00 p.m. 24 miles
July 07/07 Whitecourt Circuit Races - 4 laps 10:00 a.m. 32 miles
Windup Banquet & Awards

old rigger
01-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm almost sure that there's a speed limit of 85 or so. Either that or I'm confusing the 300 with the nostalgic racers that run down here in long beach once a year. Here's a link to Rons web site so you can get better info than what I'm giving you for the race. I could have sworn that I read where they were putting radar guns on the boats to check their speeds. Either way, I feel the same about you running your boat in it.
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3020
We ran the Mississippi race 2 years in a row back in the late 80's. 1000 miles in 2 days. First year we got a DNF, second we won. Not quite the twisting, turning race you guys compete in I'm sure, but grueling none the less. I was more curious on the amount of fuel you carry when I asked about the length of the races. I didn't make that clear. :)

superdave013
01-19-2007, 02:28 PM
no speed limit at the 300. but they do stagger the start based on different classes. One of your small block jets would leave right up front. And if it ran 80+ the 120 mph boats that leave 40 min later would have a hard time catching you.
I donno Rigger, if it was a single pin set up like Long Beach I'd bet on the Rayson. Just because I think they would get around the turns faster. At the 300, I donno. I'd love to see it that's for sure.

Xerophobic
01-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Sorry Rigger I didn't catch that subtle question hehe
Our 21 tunnel typically uses our standard tanks which are about 31.5 gal each, saddle configuration beside the motor. SBFX class boats (running the ZZ4's) have started asking for a different tank thats about half the size so that weight of fuel can be kept closer to the transom for a longer time period. Setting your weight back in a lighweight tunnel is critical to get the boat to fly.
So basically a high power tunnel can carry about 63 gal of fuel and a lightweight boat half that. Of course again the flexibility of alum construction allows us to build you whatever size tank you need.
I forgot to stress something about our speed numbers but its somewhat related to what we're discussing here. Most of the speeds we post will be with near full fuel loads and more importantly TWO people in the boat. IF we ran the Parker race with a SBC powered v bottom that could do 90 in the straights with 2 guys in it would that cause a stir????
haha
Cheers

superdave013
01-19-2007, 03:32 PM
there is already a 14' crackerbox running a sbc with 2 people racing at Parker. You would be in their class! No question you would pass them with it got rough. But you would be shocked at how well that 14' wood direct drive boat runs.
Bring it man, you know what they say. Gotta race on Sunday if you want to sell on Monday. That's just what you need to bust into the So Cal market.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1503IMG_0548-med.jpg

old rigger
01-19-2007, 04:23 PM
no speed limit at the 300. but they do stagger the start based on different classes. One of your small block jets would leave right up front. And if it ran 80+ the 120 mph boats that leave 40 min later would have a hard time catching you.
I donno Rigger, if it was a single pin set up like Long Beach I'd bet on the Rayson. Just because I think they would get around the turns faster. At the 300, I donno. I'd love to see it that's for sure.
Thanks Dave, I don't know why I thought there was a speed limit.
I was thinking just the opposite of you with regards to the boats going into the single pin turn at Long Beach. Judging from the clips I've seen of these guys in the turns, ( and they make a single pin turn looks like childs play) I think they'd turn and be gone before the rayson lifted the plates.
Only one way to find out. ;)
As far as them running the enduro, I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it....really, I got big ass goosebumps right now.

Xerophobic
01-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I get goosebumps everytime I see someone post a pic like that of the race because to us that is NOT rough water
lol
Cheers

blue wonder
01-19-2007, 04:32 PM
hey 396...i may have missed it but i didnt see an answer to your question yet...the sterring you are looking for is called a det-mar steering swivel...aggressor or rex marine sells them...the one agressor sells the plates are stainless and thiner and the ones rex sells are made of aluminum and are thicker...i run the aggressor one on my boat...i personally dont like the thickness of the rex marine one...kinda goddy looking in my opinion...hope this helps you!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-19-2007, 04:50 PM
hey 396...i may have missed it but i didnt see an answer to your question yet...the sterring you are looking for is called a det-mar steering swivel...aggressor or rex marine sells them...the one agressor sells the plates are stainless and thiner and the ones rex sells are made of aluminum and are thicker...i run the aggressor one on my boat...i personally dont like the thickness of the rex marine one...kinda goddy looking in my opinion...hope this helps you!!
Thanks alot pimp;) Ill look at the aggressor one and compare it to rexies;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Dammit, all you guys hijacked my thread!!!!!! :p Its all good;) There is some killer info and pics in here;)
_Spit

blue wonder
01-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks alot pimp;) Ill look at the aggressor one and compare it to rexies;)
the aggressor one is part# 31270...its located under the nozzles and systems section...i couldnt find the rex one online but i know they have it.

superdave013
01-19-2007, 10:32 PM
I get goosebumps everytime I see someone post a pic like that of the race because to us that is NOT rough water
lol
Cheers
never said it was. It was the first lap of 60 but I'm sure it still never gets as rough as you're used to.

superdave013
01-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I was thinking just the opposite of you with regards to the boats going into the single pin turn at Long Beach. Judging from the clips I've seen of these guys in the turns, ( and they make a single pin turn looks like childs play) I think they'd turn and be gone before the rayson lifted the plates.
Only one way to find out. ;)
I agree with the only one way to find out. Doubt it would ever happen but if it did I'd put a hundy on the 305 boat. ;) You could have the pick of the litter on the squirt guns. Win or loose the bet would be worth the great show that would have to be.

dmontzsta
01-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Those aluminum boats are amazing. That would probably be one jet boat I would own. I remember watching them on TNT when I was a little kid. I would like to see one race with all the other boats, it is good to throw something different in the mix.

Squirtcha?
01-20-2007, 01:13 PM
We keep saying sooner or later the secret will be
out and they will start showing up down there more and more often. Like I just
stated that black boat does low/mid 80s with a BONE STOCK ZZ4 crate engine!
Food for thought, how much HP does your boat have???? (ZZ4 rated at 355)
Cheers
Edit
Says who squircha? hehe
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722Gator_Tunnel.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722Sharkwet.JPG
Does your boat really have that much more room in it? (Im actually seriously curious)
Honestly? Mine has quite a bit more room in it. I've seen the Gators and really like
the way they're setup for comfort and lake type running. Gotta say though.........
that back seat is pretty much useless. My girlfriend (less than 5' tall) and her youngest
son would fit, but that's about it.
I can actually fit myself 5' 10" and 200 lbs, my girlfriend, her youngest son 5 years old,
her oldest son (13 years old 145 lbs and just shy of 6' tall), my son (15 years old 200 lbs
and 6' tall) in the boat with a enough room for a cooler. We've got some big kids and
nobody's gonna be stretching out much, but we all fit.
If I leave the cooler behind I can even get my 18 year old daughter in the boat. She's about 5' 6" and 120 lbs.
The hp to speed definitely gets my attention. I've got 600+ hp and running between
80 and 85 depending on conditions and number of riders/weight.
I'm not ruling out aluminum though. I'm not in a position financially to buy one in the next
year or two anyway. Who knows though.............. somewhere down the line?
I'd like the be a pioneer and bring the tin boats to the southwest.
If enough guys could see what they're capable of..............it might spark some interest
and increase the marketability some.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Those are indeed very nice hull but my next ride will be a 19ft or 21ft picklefork glass hull;) I have my lil ole heart set on one of those 2 hulls;)
_Spit

Xerophobic
01-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Fair enough I am a lil surprised tho. We certainly have built tunnels with very minimal rear seats but thats usually when its not a priority. I think they can be done to have as much if not more room than your typical 18-19 foot lake boat as logic would tell you since the boat is 21 feet long. Remember we're not bound by a mold if you want the rear firewall further back or even the dash moved forward its a simple thing for us to change.
These Gators look fairly spacious and I can tell you the bow area of a tunnel for storage( coolers etc) is HUGE. no bulkheads etc just a huge open space. Put in some bungy cord netting and you can put a whack of stuff up there. The last picture is particularly good and I don't think you can ask for much more space for 5 people in a sport boat. Also remember compared to most boats these are DEEP. you sit in them not on them and for alot of people thats alot better feeling at high speeds.
http://www.gatorjetboats.com/tunnelinterior.jpg
http://www.gatorjetboats.com/tunnelinterior2.jpg
http://www.gatorjetboats.com/Open_House__05_Boat_6_op_800x533.jpg
http://www.gatorjetboats.com/melvinsboat1.jpg
Cheers
Honestly? Mine has quite a bit more room in it. I've seen the Gators and really like
the way they're setup for comfort and lake type running. Gotta say though.........
that back seat is pretty much useless. My girlfriend (less than 5' tall) and her youngest
son would fit, but that's about it.
I can actually fit myself 5' 10" and 200 lbs, my girlfriend, her youngest son 5 years old,
her oldest son (13 years old 145 lbs and just shy of 6' tall), my son (15 years old 200 lbs
and 6' tall) in the boat with a enough room for a cooler. We've got some big kids and
nobody's gonna be stretching out much, but we all fit.
If I leave the cooler behind I can even get my 18 year old daughter in the boat. She's about 5' 6" and 120 lbs.
The hp to speed definitely gets my attention. I've got 600+ hp and running between
80 and 85 depending on conditions and number of riders/weight.
I'm not ruling out aluminum though. I'm not in a position financially to buy one in the next
year or two anyway. Who knows though.............. somewhere down the line?
I'd like the be a pioneer and bring the tin boats to the southwest.
If enough guys could see what they're capable of..............it might spark some interest
and increase the marketability some.

Squirtcha?
01-20-2007, 03:54 PM
I have to say...........those pictures shed a different light. They look to have pretty good room and possibly as much as I have now.
As for shortening the decks? I think that's what gives em that bad ass'd look. I hate to admit that I'd choose form over function, but in this instance I believe I would. I really like the long deck.

Xerophobic
01-20-2007, 04:01 PM
oh alllright!
I can hear the discussion now about our red neck highbacks haha
(those seats are comfy as hell when you're getting beaten to death in rough water, nothing else would cut it)
http://outlaweagle.com/forum/files/jims_boat_june_05_004r_139.jpg
Cheers

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-20-2007, 04:38 PM
LMFAO he said REDNECK!! :D
How well does the paint hold up on those hulls?
What about a fully polished hull:idea: That would be some serious BLING!!!!!
Can you powdercoat those hulls????