PDA

View Full Version : Gullwing Intake Question

gunslinger
01-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I would like to get opinions from gullwing owners that have tried different types of intakes and what has worked well for them. I have talked to a few guys that have fast boats and know how to set up a boat, but not anyone who has experimented with a lowprofile intake in a gullwing hull. I have been told the ride plate may want to hit the bowl when adjusted, and there may be other complications. I know there is a gullwing out there that rides with a great attitude and hauls ass (18 CP white w/reds and purple I believe). Is the owner a board member? I really would like to get some input before the hull jets the saw. Just trying to get as much info as I can before the rigging process begins. It might be nice to try something new if there is a chance it may be worth the effort. BTW the hull is a 2007 Wicked. Im sorry I do not have a picture but I will post one up next week. The boat went from HTM to a storage building due to my garage space being taken up at the current time. I've got to tell you Julie and Pat made sure I got what I wanted. Julie stayed in Barstow until the hull was completed. The hull weighed in @490lbs on the scale which was certified. I would not want it any lighter for a river racer. True scale weight is alot different than estimating a hulls weight. This thing really feels light. The hull was built using 1708, vinylester resin, core mat on the sides and under the deck, along with some trick looking structural foam. Will post pics of the build up. So lets talk intakes.

Wicked Performance Boats
01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
GS, I've only had personal experience with a standard berkeley 4 degree and a Ray Mersh 5 degree and both those setups seamed to work equally well, neither ever had the rideplate hit the bowl. there was plenty of room for adjustment. Pat

flat broke
01-18-2007, 10:04 AM
The boat you are probably refering to is Mark Roznos' <sp> CP. Once the races start up at Ming again, head out there and see if he'd let you have a peek. I don't know that he posts, but maybe he lurks and will see you're thread.
Good luck with it,
Chris

pattymelt18
01-18-2007, 11:13 AM
actualy hes probably thinking of joe lakamp!

Placecraft Dragstar
01-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I put a low profile intake in my gullwing hull and the ride plate does not hit the bowl at all, it has lots of room for adjustment.

Cs19
01-18-2007, 09:53 PM
I put a low profile intake in my gullwing hull and the ride plate does not hit the bowl at all, it has lots of room for adjustment.
Placecraft,Which low profile intake? and what kind of plate angle are you running?
Gunslinger, which intakes are you considering?

Cs19
01-18-2007, 09:55 PM
actualy hes probably thinking of joe lakamp!
Yep, still my favorite boat out there. If its ever for sale Im on it.

Placecraft Dragstar
01-19-2007, 03:16 AM
Placecraft,Which low profile intake? and what kind of plate angle are you running?
Gunslinger, which intakes are you considering?
I have spent this last year rigging the hull, I am waiting for summer to get here so I can try the boat out. My plate is starting out at 1 degree up from the shoe.As far as the intake I would rather not say at this point. But if it works there will be a few others doing the same.

Cs19
01-19-2007, 08:16 AM
I have spent this last year rigging the hull, I am waiting for summer to get here so I can try the boat out. My plate is starting out at 1 degree up from the shoe.As far as the intake I would rather not say at this point. But if it works there will be a few others doing the same.
Good luck!! ;)

steelcomp
01-19-2007, 08:26 PM
"Low Profile" intake can be different things. It depends on if you're talking production low profile, or fab'd custom low profile. You can definately run into areas where there isn't an off the shelf solution if you're not careful...ride plate hitting the bowl is one of them. Wouldn't be the first time some material had to be removed to solve that problem. It also depends on your final set-up, how much angle on your plate, and how deep the shoe is. Watch that your nozzle dosen't end up hanging below the plate, either.
Gunslinger, I did my own intake last year, and would be glad to fill you in on what I experienced. PM me if you're interested.

steelcomp
01-19-2007, 08:30 PM
I have spent this last year rigging the hull, I am waiting for summer to get here so I can try the boat out. My plate is starting out at 1 degree up from the shoe.As far as the intake I would rather not say at this point. But if it works there will be a few others doing the same.PD...what shoe are you running? Where's your plate in relation to the keel?

Placecraft Dragstar
01-19-2007, 10:06 PM
steelcomp I can not reveal to much info but I will show you a picture, here is the link
http://www.justjetboats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67&page=4

gunslinger
01-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I've been working alot and have not had time to read this stuff. Im not really set on one particular intake. I would like to get the best performance out of my boat like everyone else here. I know there are alot of guys that have tried different set ups and just want to make an educated decision before I drop the coin.

steelcomp
01-21-2007, 06:19 PM
steelcomp I can not reveal to much info but I will show you a picture, here is the link
http://www.justjetboats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67&page=4OK...a pic of what, another blown gullwing?:sleeping: Nice looking boat, but I didn't see anything about a shoe.
Oh...shhhhhhh....it's a secret! :rolleyes:

Placecraft Dragstar
01-21-2007, 07:03 PM
OK...a pic of what, another blown gullwing?:sleeping: Nice looking boat, but I didn't see anything about a shoe.
Oh...shhhhhhh....it's a secret! :rolleyes:
I will get you a picture :idea:

holorinhal
01-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Hey Gunslinger,When are we going to see some pics of that sweet new ride?

steelcomp
01-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Hey Gunslinger,When are we going to see some pics of that sweet new ride?Are you sure it would be OK with Pat?? Did you have to sign a non-competition before purchase, or agreement of non-disclosure?

gunslinger
01-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Are you sure it would be OK with Pat?? Did you have to sign a non-competition before purchase, or agreement of non-disclosure?steel, first of all I dont check with Pat to post pictures of my boat. I will try to click off a few in the next day or two. It's a nice boat and I do want board members to enjoy pics of a nice gullwing. I do not think Pat would ever ask a customer to sign any sort of agreement of non-disclosure. He answered every question I had, I just chose to ask him when I went to check out the yellow hull they built rather than on a public forum. From previous posts it was pretty clear to me he was not comfortable posting every detail on the internet which is fine. The man sold me the hull without the boat cut for an intake because I would like MPD to do the install and thats more than some manufactures are willing to do. Pat and Julie were good people to deal with and still continue to help me out with questions about the hull. I am interested in the work you have done to your boat. I have alot of respect for the people that do it all themselves and the completed product hauls ass. Good job. I would like to keep this thread on topic focusing on intake advice and information. Thanks, Jerry.

steelcomp
01-21-2007, 09:51 PM
steel, first of all I dont check with Pat to post pictures of my boat. I will try to click off a few in the next day or two. It's a nice boat and I do want board members to enjoy pics of a nice gullwing. I do not think Pat would ever ask a customer to sign any sort of agreement of non-disclosure. He answered every question I had, I just chose to ask him when I went to check out the yellow hull they built rather than on a public forum. From previous posts it was pretty clear to me he was not comfortable posting every detail on the internet which is fine. The man sold me the hull without the boat cut for an intake because I would like MPD to do the install and thats more than some manufactures are willing to do. Pat and Julie were good people to deal with and still continue to help me out with questions about the hull. I am interested in the work you have done to your boat. I have alot of respect for the people that do it all themselves and the completed product hauls ass. Good job. I would like to keep this thread on topic focusing on intake advice and information. Thanks, Jerry.The questions were rhetorically sarcastic...just poking a little fun at Pat. :D
Thanks...I'd be glad to help in any way.