PDA

View Full Version : Good thing I looked

Kindsvater Flat
01-05-2003, 09:24 PM
I thought since I was taking the motor out of the boat to fix some oil leaks on the bottom end I would give everything a good once over. Well so far I have ran across this.
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/pics/valve1.jpg
Can't wait to look at the bottom end. :D

superdave013
01-05-2003, 09:37 PM
Man O Man did you get lucky. That oil leak saved you some big buck I'ed say.

126driver
01-05-2003, 09:45 PM
"Good thing I looked." - WORD
One of our employees said the very same thing when he was telling me a story about how the crew picked up a "gal" at night when they were out of town on a job, but I digress. That's an entirely different story. wink

Kindsvater Flat
01-05-2003, 09:48 PM
126driver:
One of our employees said the very same thing when he was telling me a story about how the crew picked up a "gal" at night when they were out of town on a job, but I digress. That's an entirely different story. wink I can add to that after a night on the town in San Francisco. Watched one of the cousins friends pick up on a "gal". It was then that they informed me that she was a he and I haven't left the ranch since.

Kindsvater Flat
01-05-2003, 09:50 PM
superdave013:
Man O Man did you get lucky. That oil leak saved you some big buck I'ed say. I feel pretty good about that find. I also notice that one head gasket was leaking slightly. So this makes me want to go way deeper into it.

Hud
01-05-2003, 10:03 PM
K-Flat, sorry we didn't get hooked up today at the Afterbay. Had your Kung Fu Kit we me. :D

Kindsvater Flat
01-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Shit sorry!! I just remembered the cell was in the pickup. I spent all day in the shop cleaning and taking apart my motor. It sure would have been a nice day for it. I was in a t-shirt all day. Was it choppy at all? I know the north wind was kicking all day.

Hud
01-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Yep, it was choppy, just the way I like it. The boat worked real good. On with the pie plates!! Still have your Kung Fu Kit. If you come to town give me a call.

Kindsvater Flat
01-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Will do. Maybe I can talk the woman on a road trip and get her out of the house for awhile.

Hud
01-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Sounds good do you have my number!

DansBlown73Nordic
01-05-2003, 10:21 PM
When you pick-up a chick and find out She is a Man that thing is called a Kick-Stand eek! eek!

Kindsvater Flat
01-05-2003, 10:24 PM
Hud:
Sounds good do you have my number! PM the number

Hud
01-05-2003, 10:24 PM
That 1 goes in the book, lol's :D

Hud
01-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Check your pm

ACCEPTENCE
01-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Boy I'll say a good thing you looked!!!! That was goin to get real ugly real fast. Better to find it now then before it went snake on ya...

CircleJerk
01-05-2003, 11:10 PM
If that's an aluminum retainer, remove them all before its too late. smile_sp JeRk

Kindsvater Flat
01-05-2003, 11:30 PM
They are aluminum retainers. The motor was built back in the day when it was cool. Just like the steel 3 shim head gaskets that were in it. I'm going to rebuild this one but I'm gonna start stocking up on some big chevy stuff. You are limited to much with the Chrysler parts. Not to mention the added cost.

Stab-n-Steer
01-07-2003, 07:31 AM
126driver:
One of our employees said the very same thing when he was telling me a story about how the crew picked up a "gal" at night when they were out of town on a job, but I digress. That's an entirely different story. wink Scott,
LMAO! Same thing happened to a friend of mine years ago. Fortunately, he noticed his mistake during a slow song out on the dance floor!
S&S

126driver
01-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Stab-n-Steer:
Scott,
LMAO! Same thing happened to a friend of mine years ago. Fortunately, he noticed his mistake during a slow song out on the dance floor!
S&S That's the kind of shiznit a guy should keep to himself huh? wink

Blown 472
01-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Kindsvater Flat:
They are aluminum retainers. The motor was built back in the day when it was cool. Just like the steel 3 shim head gaskets that were in it. I'm going to rebuild this one but I'm gonna start stocking up on some big chevy stuff. You are limited to much with the Chrysler parts. Not to mention the added cost. I was just in the Hughes cam web site and they have a very stout 440 build up in there. Dont go to the dark side. :D

Kindsvater Flat
01-07-2003, 10:08 AM
I'm still debating it. You don't see a lot of mopars in boats other than the hemi's. I was just looking at a 496 stroker kit. Looked inviting but still not sure.

01-07-2003, 11:30 AM
Kindsvater Flat:
I'm still debating it. You don't see a lot of mopars in boats other than the hemi's. I was just looking at a 496 stroker kit. Looked inviting but still not sure. All the more reason to keep it MOPAR. Anyone can have a BBC, but not everyone has a 440. Lets put it to a vote...on second thought lets not, too many BBC people here. :D :D

SUI-CY-COLE
01-07-2003, 11:59 AM
toss the aluminum ones immediately.i had a couple that almost let go before also....at least go with the chromoly,,there cheap enuff,,maybe 100 bucks...safe insurance...

Infomaniac
01-07-2003, 12:02 PM
What about the tip of the other valve?
As many hours (years) I think I remember you saying that engine has on it. Time for some attention.
Send it to Oklahoma for some TLC.

Kindsvater Flat
01-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Its definately going to have some head work done. I wasn't sure if anyone was going to pick up the look on the other valve. Cylinders look good, so depending on the mains and rods will see how far I get into it. If I don't see a lot of wear I might just put rings and bearings and rebuild the heads. Still has nice hone marks on the cylinders.

Blown 472
01-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Keep the mopar, if you are going to change cams take a hard look a hughes, my buddy put on in his 340 and loves it, they seem to know their chit about mopars and build some big hp. You have all the mounts and stuff, keep it.