PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with asthma? Enviros say just die

Seadog
01-27-2006, 11:14 AM
This was just posted on the news. The FDA has decided to ban CFCs in over the counter inhalers even though the replacement inhalers will not be approved for several more years. It appears that the environmentalists concerns over ozone has more clout than children. Even when they do replace the CFCs, the inhalers will cost a lot more than they are now. From the same friendly folks that killed thousands in Peru from typhoid.

ROZ
01-27-2006, 11:18 AM
This was just posted on the news. The FDA has decided to ban CFCs in over the counter inhalers even though the replacement inhalers will not be approved for several more years. It appears that the environmentalists concerns over ozone has more clout than children. Even when they do replace the CFCs, the inhalers will cost a lot more than they are now. From the same friendly folks that killed thousands in Peru from typhoid.
OUTRAGEOUS! :mad: When does it go into effect?

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
01-27-2006, 11:21 AM
That's BS.............
I grew up Asmatic..........went away for a few years but has come back in the past year or so..............
My son is very Asmatic also ................

ROZ
01-27-2006, 11:27 AM
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), today announced that albuterol metered-dose inhalers (MDIs) using chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) propellants must no longer be produced, marketed or sold in the United States after December 31, 2008

ROZ
01-27-2006, 11:29 AM
The final rule also forms the basis for the phase-out of the CFC-containing albuterol products through the withdrawal of their "essential use" status as of December 31, 2008. This change in status is based on HHS' determination that:
At least two non-CFC products with the same active drug are marketed with the same route of administration, for the same indication, and with approximately the same level of convenience of use as the CFC product that contains that active ingredient;
Supplies and production capacity for the non-CFC product will exist by December 31, 2008 at levels sufficient to meet patient needs;
Adequate U.S. post marketing use data are available for the non-CFC product; and
Patients who are required to use the CFC product for medical reasons will be adequately served by the alternative non-CFC product and other available products.
HHS sought and received public comment from a proposed rule in June 2004. This public comment, combined with feedback from a Pulmonary Allergy Drugs Advisory Committee meeting in June 2004, as well as consultation with other Federal agencies, helped the agency develop the final rule.

topless
01-27-2006, 11:39 AM
They were talking about Primatine mist which is an over the counter inhaler. I get my albuterol in Mexico anyway. They cost 24 bucks here or you can get 3 for 14 bucks in Mexico.

Seadog
01-27-2006, 12:38 PM
According to the article I read, the companies are doubtful they can have the new non-CFC inhalers on the market by 2008 and when they do, it will be much higher priced. A lot of those who get them now will have to go to prescriptions.

ROZ
01-27-2006, 12:52 PM
According to the article I read, the companies are doubtful they can have the new non-CFC inhalers on the market by 2008 and when they do, it will be much higher priced. A lot of those who get them now will have to go to prescriptions.
Higher price will happen for sure. It's always like that.. my concern is that the new propellant won't carry the meds as well. I wonder if they could use hellium? Heliox treatments work well...
This 2004 article was from the FDA website, and the quote included infromation from a Pulminary drug advisory committee.... Problem is that the dr.s on the committee aren't the researches...

Brooski
01-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Hmmm, will have to watch for this, or stock up big time in the next year and a half. Take two shots of albuterol and drink a pepsi. Shake shake shake, shake shake shake...... :220v:

KACHINA KEN
01-28-2006, 12:02 AM
I heard about this, if it is ratified you still have the option of buying in Mexico though, I know it isn't much but better than nothing I guess.

Kachina26
01-28-2006, 04:50 AM
They were talking about Primatine mist which is an over the counter inhaler. I get my albuterol in Mexico anyway. They cost 24 bucks here or you can get 3 for 14 bucks in Mexico.Mine are 3 for 5 :D I love Kaiser :D

MagicMtnDan
01-28-2006, 06:13 AM
Did you know that Jerome Bettis has asthma?