PDA

View Full Version : new prop maybe ???????

dm25advantage
01-18-2007, 03:14 PM
i have a 25 advantage citation. my powerplanet is a 496ho with a raylar kit.(i love my kit). iam running a 28p labbed prop and i think iam over proped. i think i need to move down to a 26p. i hit 70 at 4900rpm trimmed up with another person only. i do 65 all day long with a full load. i feel that my motor hasnt peak yet and get more speed out of it. if i do move down in prop,anybody have a 26p labbed prop we wanna trade?????????
any idea would be great...........

DMOORE
01-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Go with the 26. It will turn a few hundred more RPM's which should put you up near the limiter.Your top speed might even be about the same. The big difference is that it will pull harder everywhere else, and get on plane better.
Darrell.

shippingguy
01-18-2007, 03:29 PM
You could go with the smaller prop like previously mentioned, but if it only spins more RPM and no speed increase due to pitch it is not worth it. You will only be working the motor harder and using more fuel in the midrange. I would say if you are spinning a 28 4 blade now try a labbed 26 Merc Maximus 5 blade. You will be amazed at the midrange performance. You could see about 8-10 MPH in your midrange at less RPM in turn working the motor less as well as better fuel economy. I just switched to a 5 blade 30 on my 27 Shadow and it is way better. Planing time, midrange and top end is better by 3-MPH. Just my .02

BajaMike
01-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Go with the 26" prop.....you should be getting at least 5100 RPMs, and also, with the 26", you will have better acceleration and you will reduce the load on your engine.
:idea:

h2oski2fast
01-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I would venture to say that when you are "all trimmed out", you are over trimmed and losing a bit of speed but gaining rpm. With the info provided your slip is around 20%, which is high. You are definately running to big of prop. A 26 at 5200 rpm with a slip of around 13-14% calculates out to around 74mph.

dm25advantage
01-18-2007, 04:48 PM
thanks to the info, iam going to try a 26 next time out on havasu. i really dont care about getting out of the hole fast. iam more of getting top speed and not hurting my motor.
i was going to go with a the 26p but someone told me if u can spin a 28p than go with that because your motor wouldnt work so hard.

shippingguy
01-18-2007, 05:54 PM
thanks to the info, iam going to try a 26 next time out on havasu. i really dont care about getting out of the hole fast. iam more of getting top speed and not hurting my motor.
i was going to go with a the 26p but someone told me if u can spin a 28p than go with that because your motor wouldnt work so hard.
If you can spin the 28 4 blade and decide to go to a five blade they say go down to a 26. The 26 Maximus 5 blade may really do what you are looking for. You are going to see some all around great performance. Hole hot, mid-range and top end and better fuel econlomy and the motor WILL work less. Again, just my .02. We just got my boat dialed in doing this same thing and the Maximus was the best for my application and it may work well for you too..

DMOORE
01-18-2007, 07:14 PM
If you can spin the 28 4 blade and decide to go to a five blade they say go down to a 26. The 26 Maximus 5 blade may really do what you are looking for. You are going to see some all around great performance. Hole hot, mid-range and top end and better fuel econlomy and the motor WILL work less. Again, just my .02. We just got my boat dialed in doing this same thing and the Maximus was the best for my application and it may work well for you too..
The only problem is that he really isn't spinning the 28. He is only pulling 4900RPM and that is in cool weather. When it's 100+ he will loose even more.
Now you could have the 28 labbed for a few hundred rpm or go to a 24 Maximus.
Darrell.

shippingguy
01-18-2007, 07:39 PM
The only problem is that he really isn't spinning the 28. He is only pulling 4900RPM and that is in cool weather. When it's 100+ he will loose even more.
Now you could have the 28 labbed for a few hundred rpm or go to a 24 Maximus.
Darrell.
My first post stated a labbed 26 Maximus. I would not go all the way down to a 24. He may however have to in the summer heat, but possibly not either. It is not always the best to run just below the rev limiter. Yeah my motor can run 6000-6200, but we run it right at 5800 rpm. I would rather sacrifice a couple MPH on the top end and have more midrange cruising speed at less RPM. Personal preference I guess.

boatnam2
01-18-2007, 07:47 PM
i have a 27 four blade labbed i will sale,dont really need a trade.

mjc
01-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I have a spare 26 bravo and would like to try your labbed 28

BajaMike
01-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Over propping can hurt your motor....it's like startin in 3rd gear every time in your truck....not good.:idea:
:confused:

dm25advantage
01-19-2007, 10:41 AM
thanks for the info. iam going to test some props next time out. i'll for sure try the maximus 5 blade out.

shippingguy
01-19-2007, 10:43 AM
thanks for the info. iam going to test some props next time out. i'll for sure try the maximus 5 blade out.
No problem anytime. The other prop is also the Hydromotive P5X.