PDA

View Full Version : 1 year since back surgery.

Flyinbowtie
01-18-2007, 06:53 PM
One year ago today I was lying in the ICU-post/op unit of St.Marys Medical Center in San Francisco just starting to recover from major back surgery. As I recall, It was the next evening when I had regained enough of my facilities to begin to wonder what the hell I had done, and to begin worrying what was going to happen when:
a) They pulled the 14" x 14" band-aid off my gut. (I'm a bit hairy)
b) I tried to walk the first time. The 5-1 100 lb rehab lady tried to stand my 6-4 280 lb self up for the first time. (She said she could support me, tuns out she could, as long as Cindy was on t'other side).
c) a year had passed, would I think all the crap we went thrrough was worth it.
Hindsight being 20-20, it was worth it. It ain't perfect, but it helped. If any of you are contemplating artificial disc surgery, feel free to pm me. Been there, done that. I think it certainly beats multi-level fusion, if it is an option for you.
Believe them when they tell you it takes a year to get to whatever the new normal is.

Tom Brown
01-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Whatever road brought you, I'm glad you're here. :cool:
Perhaps one day we'll be able to hook up for a greasy burger and exchange views on police brutality. :D

Trailer Park Casanova
01-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Good to read you made progress FBT.
Only one who has disc pain can really appreciate the pain you endured.
Like a red hot ice pick stuck into your tailbone.
I was 6 ft 1/2 in tall when I enlisted in the Marines.
From 2 bulging discs I'm now 5'11".
The pain is excruciating, and I'm glad you have most the recovery behind you.
I hope you are pain free, and we make that Rhino adventure at Sand Mountain soon.

phebus
01-18-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm glad your doing better, that's awesome!! Bad backs suck, and they can get better then they were, but they never get great.

Jesster
01-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I do Spinal Decompression on a very expensive piece of equipment at my office in Riverside and most of my patients are pre-surgical. I give them the run down and the risk benefit ratio for surgery Vs. spinal decompression and most will opt to try the decompression mostly because if it doesn’t work I refund 100% of their money no questions asked. It is commonly referred to as about 86% effective but I see more like 78- 80% effectiveness. It is great when a patient that thought the only option left to them was surgery, which on a good day is about 30-35% effective, with the long recovery times and rehab to look forward to, walks out of the office after roughly a month of treatments and says I really didn’t think it was going to work. :D
There is a screening process involved to see if the patient is a likely candidate which is probably why I have only had to issue 2 refunds. The really interesting thing was is that the 2 people I refunded referred 3 other patients to the office. :idea:
I’m glad you are doing better after your surgery. If you didn’t have any metal hardware put in and you are still having problems 9-12 months post surgery PM me I would be glad to look at your MRI’s and see if you’re a candidate.

Flyinbowtie
01-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Jesster;
I believe I had the decomp treatment in Sacramento a couple of times.
The surgery was at the end of a 3-year trail of tears.
I have advanced degenerative disc disease; the discs at L4-5 and L5-S1 were completely and literally gone. I have two Flexicore artificial discs at both of those locations. Upon entering the surgeons discovered that the vertabre were actually trying to fuse themselves.
I had the surgery to avoid the loss of motion associated with fusion, and was part of a study group evaluating the prosthesis at two levels. The study done by Dr. James F. Zucherman at St. Marys Spine Center. The prosthesis is going to be FDA approved this year.
I appreciate your offer. The flexicore discs are Stainless/Titanium, and there is enough of it present that I set off metal detectors at the airport.
Thanks to everybody for the kind thoughts.:)

phebus
01-18-2007, 07:49 PM
I would have loved to have the artificial discs, but I had three broken facets, and four surgeries later, I'm fused at three levels. I still have a lot of lower back pain, with pain down my leg. Doctor said the level above the fusion is bad, and said there is a possibility of a fifth surgery, and another level fused. I say that until it becomes unbearable, there is no way I'm having another surgery. It's hard going through it with no pain medication, but after being on it for two years plus, and then trying to get off it, there is no way I'll put myself through that again.

Flyinbowtie
01-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Phebus, I wasn't gonna say anything, but last Friday in S.F. they decided I have another one failing, too.:mad:
I am with you. no more cutting for awhile. A long while.
I take about 1/ 2 the meds they issue me, abut 1/2 the time I am supposed to take them. Being the po-po for a long time...well, a problem with meds isn't gonna happen. They wanted to put me on a Fentanyl (sp?) patch, but that ISN'T going to happen, ever.
The a.d. surgery is supposed to be a quicker recovery than a fusion, and by the time you might have to do it again it will be old news. might be worth a look..
I had the leg pain, it is almost gone, I have pain in other...places...:rolleyes:
Also, eevery time you get fused you put a greater load on the disc right above it. If you get an artificial disc, you retain the movement and the load isn't increased as much on the discs above, or below.
The one thing to remember is tha the artificial discs have no cushion factor in them, unlike a healthy disc that gives a little, this is like a solid suspenson, a hardtail, so to speak.

Jesster
01-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Jesster;
I believe I had the decomp treatment in Sacramento a couple of times.
The surgery was at the end of a 3-year trail of tears.
I have advanced degenerative disc disease; the discs at L4-5 and L5-S1 were completely and literally gone. I have two Flexicore artificial discs at both of those locations. Upon entering the surgeons discovered that the vertabre were actually trying to fuse themselves.
I had the surgery to avoid the loss of motion associated with fusion, and was part of a study group evaluating the prosthesis at two levels. The study done by Dr. James F. Zucherman at St. Marys Spine Center. The prosthesis is going to be FDA approved this year.
I appreciate your offer. The flexicore discs are Stainless/Titanium, and there is enough of it present that I set off metal detectors at the airport.
Thanks to everybody for the kind thoughts.:)
Advanced degeneration is generally one of the signs I use not to waste the patients or my time trying something that probably won’t help. Sometimes they may have advanced degeneration at one level but very little at the one above or below so it may be of help depending on the symptoms that are being exhibited. Hardware is always a contraindication as well as advanced osteoporosis. I had one patient that was essentially bone on bone at L2-L3 but none of the problems she was having were symptomatic for that area. We put her on the machine and 5 weeks later she walked out 75% better (according to the daily pain levels she recorded). Your welcome and if you ever have any questions about something you may not understand feel free to PM me I may be just as confused by it as you.:eek:

Kilrtoy
01-18-2007, 10:07 PM
I know its been life altering for you,Hopefully the heat will help you out with the pain. cant wait to meet ya once you make the move

BigDoug
01-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Wow...... something im familiar with too.....just 3 years ago i had a double fusion and am in pain everyday, leg cramps, numbness, no mobility anymore etc. etc. and im still detailing your boats everyday but thats why i do one a day cause it just hurts too much, i moved to Havasu to slow down for this reason, boating, arctic cat, sex, you name it, it hurts !!
Dr. said im 80% disabled :jawdrop: but damn he could've given me a handy cap placard for ease of parking. I don't regret it but learning to walk all over again was a pain, first day was 5 steps, i started crying cause im a grown man (6'3" 295) and needed assistance like a was a baby again (no baby jokes)..
Mentally i was afraid to have sex for over a year thinking my screws were going to pop out, boy was i a mess !! but now im like the energiser rabbit j/k :) ..................just enjoying life one day at a time now !! :)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Dang you guys got all technical and stuff on me:eek: I thought I was in anatomy class:D
Glad to see that your doing better;) Stay strong minded;)

Roaddogg 4040
01-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Jester... Can you tell me about the Decompression treatment and who can benifit from it???
Thanks, Steve

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Glad to see it was a positive experience overall for you. Surgery is pretty scary, you never know if they are going to make you better or worse. Thank goodness you are up and about and able to keep boating!! :D

Hal
01-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Jester, I have a CD with my mri on it... where can I drop it off. I may be getting a fusion next month. If you think your machine will work, I would be interested. Already had two ops on my back and don't really want another if I can help it. PM or call me. 951-545-0958.... Hal

2Driver
01-19-2007, 08:31 AM
the off-road suspension 2 years ago. Good luck with yours and keep up the exercises!
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22320&stc=1&d=1169224235

Flyinbowtie
01-19-2007, 08:44 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/15259Back_pic_one-med.jpg
Here is mine. The circular object in the background is a penny placed on the x-ray for size reference.
Shot from the side, standing up.

2Driver
01-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Where are the screws?

Flyinbowtie
01-19-2007, 08:56 AM
No screws, bonded to the vertabra, and bone growth around them holds them in. This pic was taken six weeks post-op.

Silver
01-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah, back surgery...rough. But I am glad to hear that things are well!

Her454
01-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Jeff, seems like it was just yesterday when you went in to surgery and I know you and Cindy have been through hell and back with this thing. I also know how hard it is on you after being so damn active for so long and the lifestyle you normally lead but Im glad that things are somewhat more comfortable for you. Hopefully the latest will be something that you can tolerate without having to go through it all again. You know you are always in my thoughts and prayers and I cant wait to see everyone again.
T

Jesster
01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Jester, I have a CD with my mri on it... where can I drop it off. I may be getting a fusion next month. If you think your machine will work, I would be interested. Already had two ops on my back and don't really want another if I can help it. PM or call me. 951-545-0958.... Hal
It will depend on how long ago the surgeries were, if hardware was installed and if the problem disc is one that has already had surgery. If you have a new protrusion/herniation at a level other than one that has already been fused it will probably work but I'd have to see an MRI or an MRI report to make that determination. I'll give you a call Monday.

SUPER STRANGLER
01-20-2007, 05:09 AM
ouch!!!!!

Debbolas
01-21-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm glad your doing better, that's awesome!! Bad backs suck, and they can get better then they were, but they never get great.
That is the truth! Brother :rolleyes: