PDA

View Full Version : Mini SUV's - Which are good?

C-2
01-19-2007, 10:12 PM
IÂ’m looking for a small SUV to drive around the hood. High mileage and abuse, so nothing too nice. $25-$30K range.
Anybody have one? Which do I stay away from?
I like the Toyota FJ Cruiser – it looks cool, seems like a good deal. The new Jeep Patriot seems to be a good buy too.
Some of the American cars are cool too – but I’m a little worried about reliability. Honda, Nissan and Toyotas seem to be a lot more bullet-proof on the mileage (about 40-60K per year).
Your thoughts????

Mrs.Racer277
01-19-2007, 11:04 PM
IÂ’m looking for a small SUV to drive around the hood. High mileage and abuse, so nothing too nice. $25-$30K range.
Anybody have one? Which do I stay away from?
I like the Toyota FJ Cruiser – it looks cool, seems like a good deal. The new Jeep Patriot seems to be a good buy too.
Some of the American cars are cool too – but I’m a little worried about reliability. Honda, Nissan and Toyotas seem to be a lot more bullet-proof on the mileage (about 40-60K per year).
Your thoughts????
Had my lil blazer for 11 years. Actually still have it...tows the boat to the ramp and back in Havi. 150,000 miles and still towing. I really had good luck with it.:)

TheCarDudes
01-19-2007, 11:26 PM
If you are seriously going to put lots of miles on it and do above average abuse, you should probably stick with a Toyota. A 4-Runner is a good choice.

RiverOtter
01-20-2007, 05:16 AM
I have an 04 4Runner. 90% city driving and still gets 19.5 mpg. When I mix in a good amount of highway driving the average starts climbing over 20. (it's a V6). I really wanted the FJ but one of my kids didn't like it because the tomb like back seat. We live on a mountain and he probably would have gotten motion sickness. My wife didn't like it becasuse of the funky back seat doors. I really liked the way it drove. Same drivetrain as the 4Runner so you really can't go wrong.

Flyinbowtie
01-20-2007, 10:26 AM
My wife has a Mitsubishi Montero Sport. It is a '03, and the damn thing is built like a brick. She is not easy on cars, the last Explorer she had ran up the white flag with 90k on it.
She wanted the Montero because a neighbor has one with 185k that has never had any problems. None.
This thing appears indestructable. We live in the hills, and the brakes are going to make 40k before replacing. It has lots of room when the back seat folds down for trips to Costco, and the AWD set-up works surprisingly well in icy conditions, and we have come over Donner Pass in 4Hi and onto Hwy. 20 almost pushing snow with the bumper.
It gets around 21 on the highway at 75 MPH.

XtrmWakeborder
01-20-2007, 10:52 AM
My 95 blazer has 161,000 miles on it. The tranny went out at about 120k I think, but other than that and a few small problems it's been bulletproof. It has deffinately made me a believer in american cars again. My moms Camry died at 130k I think. 16mpg sucks ass though.

C-2
01-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys - keep em coming.
RiverOtter thanks for the heads up on the drivetrain. How is the Fourunner compared to the FJ in size?
Mistubishi huh? Will have to check it out

whiteworks
01-20-2007, 11:57 AM
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/2/6/86946826.htm
the original SUV

Troy McClure
01-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Your thoughts????
I hear you can get a Rhino for about that price range AND they go anywhere. You can even put them in the back of a pickup! :D :D
OK Rhino guys, relax, i'm J/k. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SHOTKALLIN
01-20-2007, 12:15 PM
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/2/6/86946826.htm
the original SUV
this is my next vehicle. put a shiat load of miles on it and you will not lose any value. A classic car that someone will always want to buy off you. :D

yopengo
01-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Get a Chevy Trailblazer SS. They have a bad A$$ all aluminum LS2. It generates 395 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque. Nice lil grocery getter. My wife loves hers, and I like to steal it once and a while and playÂ… :D

SHOTKALLIN
01-20-2007, 01:56 PM
any thoughs on the Dodge nitro? chevy HHR? GMC envoy? chevy equinox?

RiverOtter
01-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys - keep em coming.
RiverOtter thanks for the heads up on the drivetrain. How is the Fourunner compared to the FJ in size?
Mistubishi huh? Will have to check it out
Bigger. Especially the back seat. The storage area in the back is huge. I swear it's as big as my Burb. Much easier to get in and out of the back seat. I have been very impressed with the 4X4 system too. Dagum thing sticks and climbs.

FryJet
01-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Me and the g/f just looked at the 07 Mitsubishi Outlander. Pretty sweet little rally car. 220 h/p, awd with the paddle shift deal, leather and 18" wheels otd for 28 grand. They have the base for around 20 grand too. It had alot of room and hauled ass. I think she is going to get one pretty quick.
F.J.
http://autoshow.roadfly.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/new_mitsubishi.jpg

FryJet
01-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Get a Chevy Trailblazer SS. They have a bad A$$ all aluminum LS2. It generates 395 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque. Nice lil grocery getter. My wife loves hers, and I like to steal it once and a while and playÂ… :D
Arent those closer to 40g?
F.J.

dumbandyoung
01-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Id say the 4runner or the Volvo..and if you really want something with a cheap payment, insurance and gas...Id say go with the Scion XB. they look pretty tight too

99 232 baja
01-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Should check out the new crosssovers from GM, they mid20's mpg,hold up to 9 people. GMC,Saturn and in the spring a Buick. The price range is $25,000.00 and up. They come w/front wheel drive and all wheel also.I have owned a 2003 Trailblazer going on 4 years and NEVER have had it in the dealership . Anything has to be better that owning a TOYONISSISHI vechicle.

Seadog
01-20-2007, 03:33 PM
The Escape is a decent vehicle for local runs. I would not pick it for cross country trips, but general use, it is hard to beat. They are getting ready for a facelift for the 08 models. Ford is also going to be coming out with some new systems that will discontinue running some systems off the engine. I think the Escape is going to be an early changeover to that system.

C-2
01-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Last June I almost pulled the trigger on an Infiniti FX45 - 325hp, that thing was a frickin rocket, had the exhaust and sounded bitchen. But it's too nice for what I need it for.
I just saw anither Toyota - the onky downfall is the no fullscreen navigation. Geez, even the Honda has that.
V8's are out - I need good gas mileage.

SK48
01-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Go rent a H3 little Hummer. They are the best small SUV, the mileage is
great, comfortable, trction control etc. We were not in the market for
a vehicle like this. Ended up in a rental H3 for a 2000 mi trip. Best all
around vehicle I have ever had. We came home from the boat races in
Burley Idaho two years ago and my wife had to have one. G.M. did a great
job, driven over 33,000 miles and have only replaced the battery. I'm not
a Hummer person ( the vehicle ) but will buy another in a minute.

RiverOtter
01-21-2007, 04:48 AM
Last June I almost pulled the trigger on an Infiniti FX45 - 325hp, that thing was a frickin rocket, had the exhaust and sounded bitchen. But it's too nice for what I need it for.
I just saw anither Toyota - the onky downfall is the no fullscreen navigation. Geez, even the Honda has that.
V8's are out - I need good gas mileage.
Try the FX 35. Great mileage, still looks cool and runs like stink. Strickly a 4 seater though.
Other things to think about are tires. My G35 coupe was cheap on gas but $1,500 every 12,000 miles or so for new tires got real old. Kinda expensive on insurance too. Nice thing about the 4Runner. just cheap to operate and maintain.

BoatPI
01-21-2007, 05:18 AM
You may want to look at the Honday Pliot. It is decent size, good ride. tows at least 3,500, is 2wd or 4wd, and has one of the best v-6 engines ever made the 3.5. Super smooth and a 5 speed a/t. They have 36 mo zero financing now too. Resale is also high.

rvrjunkie
01-21-2007, 06:21 AM
any thoughs on the Dodge nitro? chevy HHR? GMC envoy? chevy equinox?
We have an Equinox and like it. We have only put about 11K miles on it and have had no problems with it so far. The price was decent (bought it from Photoglou).

Not So Fast
01-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Nobody has said Toyota HighLander? We have one that is the AWD 2002 and it is a very nice size, it drives straight and true unlike some others I've driven. Unless you need a frame type vehicle then I recommend the HighLander although the gas mlieage isnt that great to me, about 20 on the road and 15-16 in town. NSF

bigq
01-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Something to think about is the warranty for GM I think most are 5-100k right now. How about the Subaru B9 nice and safe with 245 HP.;)

sorry dog
01-21-2007, 09:26 AM
I really like the Landcruiser Prado ... except the damn slanteye suits sold out and gave us a shortwheelbase 4Runner instead with gun slit windows and called it a cruiser. How come half of them are smurf blue or piss yellow? This PC shit toward being fag friendly is getting out of hand.
Oh yeah go rent an H3...after week you'll want to install a periscope so you can see out of it...and the 5/6th of motor from the trailblazer somehow gets 5/6th the milage...still trying to figure that one out...
The last week when I was at the mercy of Hertz they gave me a free "upgrade" to an escape. The damn seltbelt dinger was bleeping at me like every focking 1/2 mile which reinforced my need to give the thing extra hell. The Transmission started making sounds like it wanted to escape too. Unfortunately I was standed in Raleigh, so we had to live with each other for a few days.
All this safety shit on cars is getting out of hand... Toyota is planning to offer an optional antil-DUI system that detects if you've had too much from the sweat sensors in the steering wheel...and then shuts down...probably when a tanker truck is on your ass. But I guess it will be your fault when the highway melts since you're the one who had 3 beers.
Betcha I'll be in line to pay extra for that modern marvel...