PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of changing engines.

dmontzsta
05-28-2003, 10:48 PM
I currently have a Ford 390ci, I have done some things to it, but I am very used to it now, and looking for a bit more power. Instead of dumping a ton into the 390, I was thinking of going bigger, like 460, just cause I will be starting at a higher point...then maybe get a stroker kit. I have heard that if I change the engine, I will need to have someone weigh the boat and find the correct spot to mount the engine...is this true? or can I put it in the same spot? rumor has it, that it will throw off the boats weight.

05-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Ohmygawd...another Ford freak in a sea of Chevy lovers. :D Your FE is about 50-100 lbs lighter than the 460 depending on the intake manifold thats on your FE now. I would place the 460 in the same location the 390 is now. If you install the engine on rails you then can move the engine forward if needed. The Lavey is a pretty forgiving hull [I have a 67 Lavey] so engine placement should give you a little room to play with.

dmontzsta
05-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Thanks, you have a flatbottom Lavey too? I got a chance to visit the Lavey Craft headquarters in Corona, I live near there. Too bad they dont make Flatbottoms anymore burningm so is the Lavey Craft hull a solid one to put alot of power in? I havent heard much, but I assume it is as good as all the rest, if not better.
On to the other topic, I am a chevy guy, but cant seem to find a 468ci, if I do, that is going in. If I put the engine in the same spot, how would I know if it had to be moved? or effected the boat?
Thanks!

05-29-2003, 11:06 AM
If you are a Chevy guy then you will be better off installing a BBC as you will have to hunt down new mounts for the 460 and they are getting tough to find. BBC parts are much more plentiful. The BBC is about the same weight as the 460 so I would install the engine in the same place. The Lavey hull is a stout piece as its a one piece hull layup. There is no "cap" glued on like most other hulls.

dmontzsta
05-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Awesome. Do you know how much I might be able to pick up a 468 for? and where is a good spot in SoCal? cause I have no clue... :D

superdave013
05-29-2003, 12:44 PM
dmontzsta:
Awesome. Do you know how much I might be able to pick up a 468 for? and where is a good spot in SoCal? cause I have no clue... :D Call this guy. He always has a few BBC around that are for sale.
Bruce 714 209 0390

DansBlown73Nordic
05-29-2003, 12:53 PM
I think HBJet had a nice used 454 or 468 For Sale. He may have sold it Im not really sure.

dmontzsta
05-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks Dave, I see you are in Anaheim, I actually work next to the stadium. I am definately going to give this guy a call, when I am ready. I am just finishing paying off a couple of credit cards...and my Nissan Maxima project car, I just dumped 4k into it. So by the end of summer I should be set. I am glad I found this place, I dont even know what V-Drive I have, or gears or anything like that...only thing I have had to fix in the past 6 years is the shaft that goes out the drive to the prop, it busted in pieces when I got some wicked air and came down, it just reved like it was in neutral.

05-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Damn....6 good years of reliable service and now you're gonna dump it for a Chevy. :D :D

dmontzsta
05-29-2003, 05:22 PM
6 years of the V-Drive that is.
Ford = Oil Pump, 4 Distributor Shafts, 2 Bent push rods, head gasket, 2 water pumps, fuel pump, clogged oil line (dont ask me, some piece of gunk was clogged in there) not to mention there is always a little problem everytime we go out...starting or running...it always needs tweaking.

05-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Oh well...shit happens :D

dmontzsta
05-29-2003, 10:05 PM
yup, stuff will happen with any engine, I am not a die hard chevy fan, I respect both, just been raised around a chevy father...so that is why I lean that way.
Neither of them are as reliable as a Nissan :)
266,347 and going...