PDA

View Full Version : Covers, fenders, etc

carbiz2
01-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I am a newbie in the Big HP, Jet Drive, insanely FAST boating world.
18' Placecraft BBC/Berkley
Gottalota questions...:confused: :) :idea: ;)
BOAT COVER:
Since I will pull my boat behind a RV(Bluebird motorhome) it would be good to protect it thoroughly from the elements while on the road. Can anyone suggest where to get a travel cover that will not screw up the finish, but protect from the elements, maybe fit like a glove? Whats the best material? Whats the best fit(wrap material to the axles, wrap 23 times with clothes line...)
FENDERS AND DOCKING:
The boats I have had previously have been cruisers and houseboats. The fenders for these were the same size as garbage cans;) ...and there were cleats everywhere. What is the correct type and size fender to use w/ these lighter/smaller/non-cleat bearing go-fast boats?
FUEL CONSUMPTION:
Trying to get an idea about fuel consumption on this type boat. They don't carry a lot of fuel, the cruisers would burn 15-18 gallons per hour at cruise speed(35mph), the houseboat 20GPH. What GPH can I expect under semi-aggressive driving habits? (really don't care, just would rather not run out)
EXHAUST NOTE:
This SOB sounds GREAT!
The Bassets have baffles, never heard it without the baffles. I'm in IL, anybody have any experience in IL with the exhaust note being undesirable to some?
ENGINE TUNING:
How do you run your engine while at home? Heat it up for an oil change etc? The packing would need some water running in there, wouldn't it? What is the method of running the engine while at home? Seems to me that timing, dwell, carb jetting, etc would be easier on land.
EVENTS:
Not much in the midwest that I've been able to find. Anybody?
Thanks in adavnce, really appreciate any and all info !

Ken F
01-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Well, youre hooked.
Boat covers: A definate no-no while towing. You are going to get a lot of sand & grit under it traveling down the road, and with it flapping against your gel, it's almost like sandpaper. Better off cleaning it when you arrive!
Fenders; I usually tie mine off in the middle of the stall, by tying to the ski-tow, and each side aft, and either to the bow-hook, or the steering column and to each side. Mine sits so low that at most docks, the rear of my boat will go under the dock. Generally generic fenders you can buy from REXMarine.com or any boating store, wallmart, ect.(about 1 gal. size) are adequate.
GPH: never checked and don't really want to know. I carry 48 gal. and can burn through it in 1/2 day if I try. Usually can go a full day on a fill if I take it easy.
Exaust: It's really going to depend where you run, but it's getting pretty common place that if it's loud, you're going to get a ticket.
Trailer running: Don't. Your pump and bearings are designed to be run in water with thrust created by the impeller keeping everything centered & in place. It will ruin your wear-ring around the impeller. A lot of people say it's fine, but pump builders will uninamusly tell you no. There is a device called a jet-away which you can get from www.Hi-techperformance.com which has a neutral setting on it, disingaging your engine/pump. Without one of those, I would't recomend doing it period. Take some old milk jugs to the lake with you and drain your oil into them while your engine is hot.
Hope this helps
Ken F

carbiz2
01-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Is there a method to introduce water to the pump intake sufficent to run the engine witout damage?
Would seem that boat shops would not want to have to take these to the lake when they need to run the motor.
Are there any Jet Boat drag race events in the mid-west?
Thanks!

George Pataki
01-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Are there any Jet Boat drag race events in the mid-west?
Thanks!
Their sure are!!!! Check out www.badapplesracing.com or http://www.blarneyisland.com/boat-races.php for more info.

Ken F
01-21-2007, 06:03 PM
http://www.sldba.org/
ST.Louis Dragboat Assn. - Your area!
Ken

carbiz2
01-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info on events here in my area(IL & midwest). Appreciate it.
Still need to know how to provide water to the Berkley so I can start the engine on the trailer.:idea:
Anybody been there-done that?
Thanks Again!

sleekcrafter
01-21-2007, 06:34 PM
On a PC your best bet is a Jet-a-way, this allows you to run on the trailer, adds saftey to your boat, and most racing santions require them.

Nucking futs
01-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Take the drive line out. Then the pump shaft wont spin.

SmokinLowriderSS
01-22-2007, 07:57 AM
I am a newbie in the Big HP, Jet Drive, insanely FAST boating world.
18' Placecraft BBC/Berkley
Gottalota questions...
Man are you in trouble. get a night job, you're gonna need the extra money. :D
BOAT COVER:
Since I will pull my boat behind a RV(Bluebird motorhome) it would be good to protect it thoroughly from the elements while on the road. Can anyone suggest where to get a travel cover that will not screw up the finish, but protect from the elements, maybe fit like a glove? Whats the best material? Whats the best fit(wrap material to the axles, wrap 23 times with clothes line...)
Although I don't have a towing cover, I think one would be a good deal. Get one that straps down not only accross it, but under the hull seam. The best ones I have seen have small vents on them facing aft which suck the air out from inside the boat, which pulls the cover down drum-tight and stops flapping.
FENDERS AND DOCKING:
The boats I have had previously have been cruisers and houseboats. The fenders for these were the same size as garbage cans;) ...and there were cleats everywhere. What is the correct type and size fender to use w/ these lighter/smaller/non-cleat bearing go-fast boats?
I have seen smaller flat ones designed for bass-boats and other low-freeboard boats. Am trying to relocate them. I want a set myself.
FUEL CONSUMPTION:
Trying to get an idea about fuel consumption on this type boat. They don't carry a lot of fuel, the cruisers would burn 15-18 gallons per hour at cruise speed(35mph), the houseboat 20GPH. What GPH can I expect under semi-aggressive driving habits? (really don't care, just would rather not run out)
Lowrider holds 20Gal of gas, letting us ski/tube people about 3 to 4 hours at a stretch. If we get up into 4,000 RPM cruizing where the 4-barrel starts breathing, we can pull her down in about 2 to 2.5 hours. Don't even ask about ripping along WFO. :jawdrop:
EXHAUST NOTE:
This SOB sounds GREAT!
The Bassets have baffles, never heard it without the baffles. I'm in IL, anybody have any experience in IL with the exhaust note being undesirable to some?
Check your state laws on exhaust decibel level allowed. Lots of folks are being forced to go to thru-transom headers like mine to pass noise tests, all of which I have seen are done at idle, when my tips are submerged. I suspect any potential loss of performance from them is likely outweighed by the loss of installing the mufflers in the OT pipes I am not having to run.
I just can't geet the grin off my face when Lowrider's 454 is wound out, I know what ya mean. A shame a whole generation of kids thinks "turbo-4-banger-v-tec" and has no idea of "Big Block Thunder". :)
ENGINE TUNING:
How do you run your engine while at home? Heat it up for an oil change etc? The packing would need some water running in there, wouldn't it? What is the method of running the engine while at home? Seems to me that timing, dwell, carb jetting, etc would be easier on land.
I just don't run it at home.
You can't really TEST carb jetting unless under load anyhow.
I drain the oil after the last trip of the summer, while the engine is still warm (the remote hose drain is the way to go!). If I let it cool, I just open the drain hose into the drain pan and walk away till tomorow. Why be in a hurry.:D
Not only the packing needs lube, depending on your pump build, if you run the polyurethane Ultimate Wear Ring like I and many others do, a dry spin any faster than the starter turns it will instantly trash it. It MUST have water lubricating it.
If you really wnat to run one at home, move the engine fwd and install a Jetaway disconnect device. It's only $$$$ :D
It is really a safety device intended to disconnect automatically in the case of an engine failure at high speed to permit the drive to free-wheel to permit some controll to be maintained. The side effect is it is manually openable to disconnect the drive.
The Jetaway from Hi-Tech Performance (http://hi-techperformance.com/images/JETAWAY_FLYER.bmp)
EVENTS:
Not much in the midwest that I've been able to find. Anybody?
Thanks in adavnce, really appreciate any and all info !
True, unfortunately.
I get together (I try anyhow) with a group of Taylor Jet owners who usually coagulate about 2x a year in Oklahome. We do allow non-Taylor's to show up, just being a jetter is enough. :)
I try to get 4July on northern Grand Lake of the Cherokees to go see 2 or 3 fireworks shows by boat on successive nights. We do allow non-Taylor's to show up, just being a jetter is enough. :)
The Admiral & I try to spend quite a few weekend afternoons working on our sanity in the Rock Quarry at ElDorado Lake, sipping ice cold cereal malt beverages at anchor rafted up with bigger boats.

SmokinLowriderSS
01-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Here are the fenders I found before. More sources out there, colors too:
Taylor Bass Boat Fenders (http://www.outfittersparadise.com/_k/s/m/Taylor_Bass_Boat_Fender_367510377msk.htm)

Rondane
01-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Take the drive line out. Then the pump shaft wont spin.
This appears to be your BEST bet judging by the pictures. Seems that he just wants to run it on the lake only and being the motor is right smack against the rear seat i'm sure he doesnt want to change everything to install a $1200 jetaway. :confused: (Man you guys are relentless with the plugs!) Does he have one already maybe? :) Kenny how about answering my question from the other thread? :D
ARS marine is in your backyard and Dons Pump Service(614)488-1335 is somewhat CLOSER to give you tips on your ride.
rondane

SmokinLowriderSS
01-22-2007, 10:30 AM
This appears to be your BEST bet judging by the pictures.
I'm glad your calibrated x-ray vision can measure his pulley to interior clearance without a picture of it, mine can't.
IMO, His "best bet" is to stick the back 3 feet of boat in a large puddle of water, like a lake or river, as opposed to removing 4 bolts on the back of the crank, under the bellhousing, then putting them back in to run it. Then doing it all again to put it back together, while now avoiding the hot pipes.
Seems that he just wants to run it on the lake only and being the motor is right smack against the rear seat i'm sure he doesnt want to change everything to install a $1200 jetaway.
Didn't say he needed one for his aplication, I just explained what it is designed for, and what it is useful for. The rest is HIS DECISION Jane. If he wants to run it on the trailer badly enough, often enough, and wishes to avoid pump damage, The Jetaway is the way to do it.
:confused: (Man you guys are relentless with the plugs!) Does he have one already maybe?
Would you be happier if I had advised a DPS Ratchet instead Jane? Where can I get one of those anyhow?
Kenny how about answering my question from the other thread?
Do you mean the thread your stupid comentary got LOCKED jane?
ARS marine is in your backyard and Dons Pump Service(614)488-1335 is somewhat CLOSER to give you tips on your ride.
ronJane
Finally, something useful, I knew you had it in you Jane. :idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
01-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Jane, SHOW US YOUR BOAT!!!!