PDA

View Full Version : Im Ready To Scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!V-Drive Tom????

Dans66Stevens
05-26-2002, 04:36 PM
I took the boat out yesturday for a short ride. My log was leaking like Hell. So I thought no big deal. I pulled it apart tonight. The Dam log is all rubbed on the bottom just like the old one. Matter a fact it has a small crack from it pushing down on it.
I think im going to shim the V-Drive up to get more clearence between the shaft and the Log. Tom and I talked about this before.
I don't know what else to try. http://www.plauder-smilies.com/lach.gif

boatguy222
05-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Dan,
I think that is a really BAD idea, you will just break some thing else, like the v-drive shaft. or prop shaft
You would be better off shiming the shaft log to the angle of the prop shaft.
Are you sure that your prop shaft is not bent? how about your strut bearings? are they Good? Or is something else loose?
Marc

Dans66Stevens
05-26-2002, 06:05 PM
I think the floor in this old TUB is flexing and causing the shaft to hit the log. I have watched the floor before and it does move up and down alot. This thing will porpouse like hell at high speeds. I think this may be my problem.
How do I go about making the floor stiffer?

Dans66Stevens
05-26-2002, 06:49 PM
I need to move my log down not up. There is no way to shim it in the direction I need.
Im pretty sure the bottom of the boat is flexing so much its causing the prop shaft to hit the log.
This poor boat has had kinda a ruff life. Sorta like a Old Hore who has been around the track a few to many times!!!!lol

boatguy222
05-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Dan,
your boat should not flex in the shaft log area at all, I think that it might of delaminated in that area, which is really bad news, unless you like to do alot of fiberglass work. Is the area milky white? can you post a picture or two of the area in question? It might help in telling if that is the problem.

Dans66Stevens
05-27-2002, 02:05 AM
Yes I will take some pictures of it.

Backfire
05-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Shimming up the v-drive in order to align the shaft relationship with the hole and log will also require shimming the rear of the strut for COMPLETE alignment! If you feel that bottom flexing is the problem, I have some suggestions:
1) Do everything you can to insure that you don't have structural decay, but simply a lightweight layup
2)Install a whipstrut and tie it and the shaftlog to the stringers in this way:
3)Get a piece of quarter by six inch t-6 aluminum in the appropriate length to plate down the center from the v-drive plate to at least past the whipstrut bolts or (better) the engine plate or (best) all the way to the transom. This plate will have your propshaft slot cut in it and will have your log mounted on top, but requires new holes because it will be farther forward. It will have your fin bolts and whipstrut bolts thru it also, and (optional) strut and rudder stuffing bolts, and for vertical strength, be tied to vertical crossmember plates which bolt to the stringers. The v-drive and engine plates could be used for this purpose and you should have at least one more plate in the whipstrut area.
[This message has been edited by Backfire (edited May 27, 2002).]