PDA

View Full Version : starter problem

jakerace
01-22-2007, 07:04 AM
need some help.. I just bought a big block chevy nova..my starter wont stay engaged to the flywheel when the key is turned. The pinion gear keeps going in and out instead of staying engaged until motor starts. Anyone have a problem like this before or have any ideas. thanks, glen

centerhill condor
01-22-2007, 07:28 AM
at first blush..I'm thinking either bad electrical connection or bad magnet/wiring in the gear engaging device.

jakerace
01-22-2007, 08:04 AM
CC...I did forget to say that I did have the starter checked out at my starter shop and it checked ok..I even put another starter on it to make sure. I'm thinking the same as you about bad electrical connection or maybe a bad ignition switch..thanks,,glen

RICHARD TILL
01-22-2007, 08:17 AM
this might help. take the starter off and apart, clean it all, check the gear on end of the bendix. make sure that the sprag lets it turn in only in one direction. check the bushings on each end for wear. make sure to regrease both of them. next take the plastic end off the selonoid, sand and clean that big brass washer. i suspect this might be the problem. sometimes you can turn them over to the unused side. make sure to grease the plunger thats magnetically pulled into the selonoid. this has worked many times for me. and the best part is you might not have to spend a dime. and i nearly forgot, this is a good time to replace the brushes if they are worn. good luck.

RICHARD TILL
01-22-2007, 08:23 AM
glen, please just ignore my last post. i was typing when you were making your 10:04 post. sorry bout that.:o