PDA

View Full Version : CHP Air Tickets

Waist Deep
01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Anyone ever get one? Got one doing 87 on the way to Vegas. Cop came up said he was not issuing one, but the guy in the air was. That damn plane was so high, we could hardly see it as it passed us.
Evidentaly, the pilot didnt care about the cars passing by us.

lucky
01-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Anyone ever get one? Got one doing 87 on the way to Vegas. Cop came up said he was not issuing one, but the guy in the air was. That damn plane was so high, we could hardly see it as it passed us.
ask to see the vid. lmao -

Wet Dream
01-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I got 2 of them in my life. One was for 65 in a 55, and the other was 109 in a 65. Paid the 65, that was $110, got a lawyer for $1000 on the 109, went to court, reduced to 79 (14 over) 3 points and the fine was $80.
(Yeah, people will bash me for the 109, but in my defense, there wasn't anyone around, no traffic, 11:00am, interstate, flat, sunny, completely blocked from opposing traffic. Only threat was to myself.)

Trailer Park Casanova
01-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Ya look up outta your side window at about a 45 degree angle, about a mile + out on the I 15.
They time you from point to point, so anyone going faster is ignored because YOU are the subject at the moment they start the count.
Unless the person passing you is going superfast & reckless.

Waist Deep
01-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Don't know if it matters, but I just pulled it up that Airplane Surveillance Tickets in California are illegal as per vehicle code 40801 as defined in the speedtrap law.
The writing officer or issuer must follow you at the rate of speed for which the ticket is being issued for.
This didn't happen.

Liquid Courage
01-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Don't know if it matters, but I just pulled it up that Airplane Surveillance Tickets in California are illegal as per vehicle code 40801 as defined in the speedtrap law.
The writing officer or issuer must follow you at the rate of speed for which the ticket is being issued for.
This didn't happen.
Not exactly. They are confirming their visual estimation of you and their paced air speed to the timer. If it was only the timer used to provide the speed information then it would fall under a speed trap. Kind've like you can't use radar/laser with out visual estimation included (i.e. can't just point and shoot).

77charger
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Fight it if the cop who wrote the ticket comes in you're in luck if the pilot does beg for traffic school.
Someone i use to ride streetbikes with years ago got one this is how he beat it.Started asking alot of ?s on how the chp observed him,what speed did he observe him,etc,etc. Point was he didnt witness any thing only going by what he was told by pilot.

Liquid Courage
01-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Fight it if the cop who wrote the ticket comes in you're in luck if the pilot does beg for traffic school.
Someone i use to ride streetbikes with years ago got one this is how he beat it.Started asking alot of ?s on how the chp observed him,what speed did he observe him,etc,etc. Point was he didnt witness any thing only going by what he was told by pilot.
Both pilot and ground officer need to be present to win in court.

77charger
01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Should have said in above that the ground cop who wrote the ticket was the only one to show without a pilot the ground cop didnt have awing to stand on.:D That is why it got tossed

MudPumper
01-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Waaaaaaahhhhh. :cry: I got a ticket. Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. :cry: How do I get out of it? Waaaaaaaahhhhh. :cry: :D :D :D

Kachina26
01-22-2007, 03:42 PM
They're not really that high up, I commute to Barstow and see them all the time. They only fly during the day, and fly low speed. Not real tough to spot. I won't go over 75 through there as there are plenty of CHPs hiding behind Hodge, Dale Evans overpasses and behind the pile of rocks. Just not worth the money. Pay the tick, do the online traffic school and move on.

Kilrtoy
01-22-2007, 03:46 PM
This didn't happen.
NOPE, they are very legal and not even a speed trap....

ParkerSteve
01-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I.ve noticed that on the highway there is a marker every mile painted on the pavement. Arn't these used by air chp to time you and convert time to MPH>>>>>>>>>>

Trailer Park Casanova
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
I.ve noticed that on the highway there is a marker every mile painted on the pavement. Arn't these used by air chp to time you and convert time to MPH>>>>>>>>>>
Yep.

RiverRatMike
01-22-2007, 04:23 PM
it pays to have some kinda radar detector!

rrrr
01-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah! This way TWO officers are taken off the street and paid overtime to testify. It makes the roads less safe and costs the taxpayers even more money.
Jeez.......look, if you're gonna speed, buy a radar detector. If you get popped by some other method, nut up and pay the ticket. If you must, go to court and plead stupidity or something, the court usually reduces the fine somewhat.

Kilrtoy
01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
. If you must, go to court and plead stupidity or something, .
ROTFLMAO

Dave C
01-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Huh, what, huh? Did you say something? I didn't get it because I was distracted by your avatar...... ;) ;)

MudPumper
01-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah! This way TWO officers are taken off the street and paid overtime to testify. It makes the roads less safe and costs the taxpayers even more money.
If the officer is already working a scheduled shift during the time he or she has a court appearance they do not get paid overtime, just straight time pay.
If the court date falls on an officer's day off, then they will get overtime.

Ziggy
01-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I.ve noticed that on the highway there is a marker every mile painted on the pavement. Arn't these used by air chp to time you and convert time to MPH>>>>>>>>>>Very evident on Rice Road.
If the sign is posted "patrolled by aircraft" you're not getting outta nothin'. Them signs are posted everywhere in the desert.
RRM...radar won't help you in a case of aircraft....nee-ner :D

jbone
01-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Sounds like its time to take some white paint and a 6 in roller out next time.
Throw a few extra lines and things will be all jacket up.
J

RiverRatMike
01-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Very evident on Rice Road.
If the sign is posted "patrolled by aircraft" you're not getting outta nothin'. Them signs are posted everywhere in the desert.
RRM...radar won't help you in a case of aircraft....nee-ner :D
ah ok well that makes since then having the mile markers

Mandelon
01-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Tell the wife that is why you need a new convertible..... :D

Trailer Park Casanova
01-22-2007, 05:18 PM
They've been writing tickets from the air from at least the mid-1970's,, perhaps longer.
Radar in CHP cars made it's debut in the past decade.

Ziggy
01-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Sounds like its time to take some white paint and a 6 in roller out next time.
Throw a few extra lines and things will be all jacket up.
J
LOL, a few years ago we had a HB member(can't remember screenname) that informed us about the repaving of Rice Road he was involved with.........I'd asked him to add a half mile between each of those markers when they restriped the road :D :D :D I guess he didn't see my post, darn ;) :)

Waist Deep
01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Miguel,
It states a particular section of highway measured as to distance to determine the speed of a vehicle is a speed trap and is illegal. Section 40801

Jetaholic
01-22-2007, 05:36 PM
I usually never have a problem with the cops on the road, since most of the time I do the speed limit.
The only time I don't is if I'm towing long distance with a tandem axle trailer. I'd never take a single axle above 55 (they don't handle very well above that) but personally, I don't agree with the 55mph towing limit...with a tandem axle trailer that's not over 4,000lbs, 65 is easily doable.

Ziggy
01-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Miguel,
It states a particular section of highway measured as to distance to determine the speed of a vehicle is a speed trap and is illegal. Section 40801Take that to Court and let us all know how it turned out... :) Doesn't sound like you're denying that you were speeding, just don't like that you got caught...:)

Kilrtoy
01-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Miguel,
It states a particular section of highway measured as to distance to determine the speed of a vehicle is a speed trap and is illegal. Section 40801
DO NOT QOUTE ME ON THIS
They are above you in a plane and pacing you using nautical miles or what ever planes gauge speed on, They then calculate that in to MPH and have your ground speed. That is not a speed trap

OGShocker
01-22-2007, 06:07 PM
it pays to have some kinda radar detector!
Didn't help me in Desert Center, last Saturday.:mad: Two little bleeps at the every popular red and blue lights came next..:D
98MPH in a 65MPH zone.:jawdrop:

Ziggy
01-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Didn't help me in Desert Center, last Saturday.:mad: Two little bleeps at the every popular red and blue lights came next..:D
You are a bad ass...........you should have told him you wanted it written at 100 for bragging rights.. :D:D You did know they keep that plane at Chiriaco don't ya? ;) :)
How's it going Mark?

rrrr
01-22-2007, 06:25 PM
You are a bad ass...........you should have told him you wanted it written at 100 for bragging rights.. :D:D
LMAO!! :D :D

dumbandyoung
01-22-2007, 08:04 PM
wtf?!? these are for real.. i always thought BS. never heard of someone getting one

Kachina26
01-22-2007, 08:35 PM
DO NOT QOUTE ME ON THIS
They are above you in a plane and pacing you using nautical miles or what ever planes gauge speed on, They then calculate that in to MPH and have your ground speed. That is not a speed trap
I haven't peeked at the Cessna they use and store at Apple Valley, but the old Cessna I rent has a gps in it that calcs ground speed in mph. The plane can easily be flown slow enough to track you.

Beer-30
01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
They pace the vehicle(s) with the plane. They check the plane's speed through the 1-mile marks on the side of the roadway. They double-check with certified chronometers (stop-watches).
Pacing with the plane is not a speed trap; just using stop-watches to time you through tick marks would be.

little rowe boat
01-23-2007, 09:42 AM
OUCH. Mark, Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Did you tell him his radar had to be wrong, because there is no way a Chevy could go that fast.:sqeyes: :D

Liquid Courage
01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Miguel,
The section you are actually looking for is 40802 (a) (1) CVC
Again, they are not relying solely on the markings to get your speed. It's a confirmation of their visual estimation and paced speed using the plane GPS/Speedo.
Just like officers can not solely rely on radar/laser to write tickets. The radar/laser is only a confirmation of their visual estimation of speed. It's a totallity of circumstances.
Bottom line. It is not a speed trap. Sounds like it is, but it isn't because of the fact the aircraft is not relying just on the markings.

little rowe boat
01-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I was pulled over a few years back and the Officer informed me that the plane had busted me. I never did see the plane.

Beer-30
01-23-2007, 12:11 PM
The plane is usually flying around 1200-1500 feet above the ground. Racetrack pattern. Would normally be on your 4-5 o'clock position. Right along your blind spot. You wouldn't see them unless you saw them when they were turning from their last catch.
Did you think they would fly right outside your window?
This is pretty much common knowledge, since it is posted on almost all freeways/highways "speed enforced by aircraft". Additionally, the planes are marked "CHP" on the tail in big blue letters on white background. Under the wings (facing the ground), in same colors, is "HIGHWAY" on one wing, "PATROL" on the other. Quite visible.

little rowe boat
01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
The plane is usually flying around 1200-1500 feet above the ground. Racetrack pattern. Would normally be on your 4-5 o'clock position. Right along your blind spot. You wouldn't see them unless you saw them when they were turning from their last catch.
Did you think they would fly right outside your window?
This is pretty much common knowledge, since it is posted on almost all freeways/highways "speed enforced by aircraft". Additionally, the planes are marked "CHP" on the tail in big blue letters on white background. Under the wings (facing the ground), in same colors, is "HIGHWAY" on one wing, "PATROL" on the other. Quite visible.
I know they are out there and try to keep an eye out.

YeLLowBoaT
01-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I have a idea... set the CC and go the speed limit... prob fixed.:D

little rowe boat
01-23-2007, 01:57 PM
I have a idea... set the CC and go the speed limit... prob fixed.:D
Your a genius. :D

mrs.rvrluvr
01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
huby is a truck driver and when he goes to vegas or phoenix and gets the occcasional speeding ticket he askes the officer to write it for the county seat(court). They have to do this. Usually the county seat is to far away for the officer to show up and fight it. i.e. county seat for Palm Springs is Moreno Valley.