PDA

View Full Version : Can the Lakers catch PHX and overtake them?

DILLIGAF
01-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Phx is 6.5 games up now. Just want to see what you guys think? I really doubt they can as 6.5 games is a lot to make up but......you never know.

AZKC
01-22-2007, 03:42 PM
No:D

Cole Trickle
01-22-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't think it's gonna happen.
Phoeinx is playing great ball....Aren't they on there 2nd 11+ game winning streak of the season?:)

DILLIGAF
01-22-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't think it's gonna happen.
Phoeinx is playing great ball....Aren't they on there 2nd 11+ game winning streak of the season?:)
Earlier it was 15 and right now they are on a 13 and counting

Cole Trickle
01-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Earlier it was 15 and right now they are on a 13 and counting
Prety hard to beat a team that gets onto rolls like that. Of course all that goes out the window in the playoffs and I am sure there are plenty of teams that don't wan't to be seeded against the Lakers.
If the Lakers could figure out how to win the games there supposed to they will be pretty hard to beat. when they play a contender they are tough.

Jyruiz
01-22-2007, 03:59 PM
No way the Lakers catch the Suns, unless the Suns loose Nash, but even then I don't think they will be able to catch the Suns.

dmontzsta
01-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Prety hard to beat a team that gets onto rolls like that. Of course all that goes out the window in the playoffs and I am sure there are plenty of teams that don't wan't to be seeded against the Lakers.
If the Lakers could figure out how to win the games there supposed to they will be pretty hard to beat. when they play a contender they are tough.
If the Lakers could get their starters back, they should be winning those games.
The Lakers problem right now is rebounding and points in the paint. They are missing the long arms of Odom and the strength of Kwame and teams are figuring that out and taking advantage now, problem is...it is a little too late. The Lakers get them back this week and have already kept their record clean.
In regards to them taking over Phoenix? Not likely, considering the Suns are not losing games, so even if the Lakers starting winning every game, there would not be much of a change. The only way they catch Phoenix, is if Nash goes down, then they are a team in limbo.

Cole Trickle
01-22-2007, 04:05 PM
If the Lakers could get their starters back, they should be winning those games.
The Lakers problem right now is rebounding and points in the paint. They are missing the long arms of Odom and the strength of Kwame and teams are figuring that out and taking advantage now, problem is...it is a little too late. The Lakers get them back this week and have already kept their record clean.
In regards to them taking over Phoenix? Not likely, considering the Suns are not losing games, so even if the Lakers starting winning every game, there would not be much of a change. The only way they catch Phoenix, is if Nash goes down, then they are a team in limbo.
So Lamar and Kwame are coming back this week?
Thats good news....I have never been a huge KB fan but I do miss watching LO play.:)

Jyruiz
01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Don't expect LO to contribute all that much, he has missed over a month and is out of game shape and won't be as sharp as when he left. I hope this injury did not make him go backwards as he was starting to find his way in the offense. KBrown won't suffer as much because he has not missed as many games, so his defense should still be there, his offense has really never been dependent on so no worries there.

acatitude
01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
bla bla bla :D :D

dmontzsta
01-22-2007, 04:20 PM
So Lamar and Kwame are coming back this week?
Thats good news....I have never been a huge KB fan but I do miss watching LO play.:)
Yes, Kwame was due back tonight, but they are playing it safe with him. They play tonight and then do not have a game until Friday, so they can rest Kwame and Odom and not worry about games.
I am really surprised more teams didn't expose the Lakers sooner than the last two games. They have no inside presence and cannot afford Bynum or Turiaf to pick up fouls. I guess I am glad the teams did not figure it out, cause they are still well over .500:)

DILLIGAF
01-22-2007, 04:23 PM
So....let me get this straight. You LF's are throwing up the "white towell" as Don would say?
That is where we differ.......

BadKachina
01-22-2007, 04:23 PM
How can Phx. get ahead of Dallas is what I want to know. Neither are giving up any ground. :idea:

Jyruiz
01-22-2007, 04:28 PM
So....let me get this straight. You LF's are throwing up the "white towell" as Don would say?
That is where we differ.......
The only towell I threw was the Clippers towell. :D But seriously, there is no towell to throw out, I am just keeping it real.

dmontzsta
01-22-2007, 04:32 PM
yeah, no white towel, just being realistic. Like the clippers not making the playoffs. :D
I can not wait for the Lakers to play the suns again.

GAME TIME
01-22-2007, 04:34 PM
not throwing in the towell just being realistic. They will not catch the Suns but can and might catch the Spurs or Jazz and could end up with the number 3 spot.

DILLIGAF
01-22-2007, 04:35 PM
The only towell I threw was the Clippers towell. :D But seriously, there is no towell to throw out, I am just keeping it real.
Well...the Clips are 6.5 games behind the Lakers and are starting to win some games. They are still inconsisten but improving. Last two games they had over 30 assists in them. Maybe they are finally starting to get it in gear. This is happening while the Lakers have stumbled slightly and with the returning players will have to make adjustments. It could get pretty close before it is all done. At least that is what I am hoping for anyway.
No, I haven't thrown in my Clippers towell :)
Off to my softball game but I will read all of this later tonight.

Jyruiz
01-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Well...the Clips are 6.5 games behind the Lakers and are starting to win some games. They are still inconsisten but improving. Last two games they had over 30 assists in them. Maybe they are finally starting to get it in gear. This is happening while the Lakers have stumbled slightly and with the returning players will have to make adjustments. It could get pretty close before it is all done. At least that is what I am hoping for anyway.
No, I haven't thrown in my Clippers towell :)
Off to my softball game but I will read all of this later tonight.
Thats realistic, it could happen. I think that the only player for the Lakers that is going to need adjustment is LO though and the bench has gotten all this experience now so who knows if he is even needed 100% yet. Every team is getting better as this NBA season goes on, so even though the Clipps could catch the Lakers, it will be a tough road. The Lakers would have to have another major injury and the Clipps will have to not have any.
I hope the Clipps at least get the 8th spot, as I would like to see a trend of them making the playoffs, but it will be tough to beat out the Wolves and who knows what Golden State is going to do now with the treade they just made.
The second part of the season is about to get interesting.

dmontzsta
01-22-2007, 05:41 PM
I might be making a BOLD prediction. But, I highly doubt the clippers will end up overtaking the Lakers. Look for the Lakers to end up in the 3-6 spot guaranteed. The clippers will be lucky to just get the 8th spot. The Lakers will not need much adjustment. I agree with jy, they are already clicking, Odom and Brown will just be like bringing in good players to an already good team.

dmontzsta
01-23-2007, 10:10 AM
How about Bynum last night? 10 points 15 rebounds and 4 blocks. This kid has potential.
Before the game Dr.Buss told Haley that Bynum is untouchable in regards to trades. He ranks Bynum with LeBron and Wade in terms of young players that have potential and were untouchable for trade bait.
Bynum is actually working with a dietrician and building muscle as quick as possible. Also, Kareem will be with the Lakers atleast another 2 years, training him. With Bynum's size and agility he should be a pretty tough center in 2 years and Shaq will be gone by then.

460 jus getn it
01-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Not going to happen.

Jyruiz
01-23-2007, 10:15 AM
How about Bynum last night? 10 points 15 rebounds and 4 blocks. This kid has potential.
Before the game Dr.Buss told Haley that Bynum is untouchable in regards to trades. He ranks Bynum with LeBron and Wade in terms of young players that have potential and were untouchable for trade bait.
Bynum is actually working with a dietrician and building muscle as quick as possible. Also, Kareem will be with the Lakers atleast another 2 years, training him. With Bynum's size and agility he should be a pretty tough center in 2 years and Shaq will be gone by then.
Bynum is the future, no way I would trade him. At 19 years old, he is doing better than anybody ever thought. I have said it before, in two years, Bynum will become the starting center for the Lakers.

DILLIGAF
01-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Bynum is the future, no way I would trade him. At 19 years old, he is doing better than anybody ever thought. I have said it before, in two years, Bynum will become the starting center for the Lakers.
How will they sign him if they want to stay under the cap and not pay the luxury tax? Buss is on record that he doesn't want to pay any luxury taxes.

Jyruiz
01-23-2007, 10:58 AM
How will they sign him if they want to stay under the cap and not pay the luxury tax? Buss is on record that he doesn't want to pay any luxury taxes.
Thats for him to figure out, but he has also been know to go over if it is worth it. One way is to let KBrown walk, KBrown is on the books for 9mil.

dmontzsta
01-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Keep in mind they are losing Brian Grants HUGE contract after this year. They will also lose McKie's over paid contract this year and Mihm's overpaid contract. Trust me, they will have space. Bynum comes into the league at 17 and gets to play with the Lakers and be tutored by Kareem and play along side Kobe and coached by Phil Jackson. Trust me, it will work. :D

Jyruiz
01-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Grants contract is not effecting the cap as the Lakers use the one time waive option, they still have to pay him but it does not go againts the cap, so his salary really doesn't matter. Mihn and Mckies (about 7mil)contracts are up this year, but we won't know how it is going to effect the signing of Bynum two years down the road when he is eligible to resign. I am guessing they are going to try to resign Mihn for less as his value has dropped and let KBrown walk next year after his contract (9mil) is up, Mihn would be a capable backup. One also has to remember about Walton, they are going to have to make a decision on him this summer.
It is not going to be easy, but as long as they keep Kobe, LO and Bynum, the Lakers have a very bright future.

DILLIGAF
01-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Grants contract is not effecting the cap as the Lakers use the one time waive option, they still have to pay him but it does not go againts the cap, so his salary really doesn't matter. Mihn and Mckies (about 7mil)contracts are up this year, but we won't know how it is going to effect the signing of Bynum two years down the road when he is eligible to resign. I am guessing they are going to try to resign Mihn for less as his value has dropped and let KBrown walk next year after his contract (9mil) is up, Mihn would be a capable backup. One also has to remember about Walton, they are going to have to make a decision on him this summer.
It is not going to be easy, but as long as they keep Kobe, LO and Bynum, the Lakers have a very bright future.
Glad to see someone using facts in their posts...lol
Just messin' with you Don.
The thing is that Buss has said within the past year he will NOT go over the cap.
The Lakers of the past have always found a way to work things out on contracts and such so if I was a betting man I would bet they could work something out but.....If Buss sticks to his statement then other major changes will have to occur. Look for a big changeover in personel in the next year or two for the Lakers. Continuity has been their secret to success in the past but that continuity is harder to obtain these days.

dmontzsta
01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
You know...Bynum will enjoy a nice HOUSE and a nice CAR along with his contract. ;)

Jyruiz
01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Glad to see someone using facts in their posts...lol
Just messin' with you Don.
The thing is that Buss has said within the past year he will NOT go over the cap.
The Lakers of the past have always found a way to work things out on contracts and such so if I was a betting man I would bet they could work something out but.....If Buss sticks to his statement then other major changes will have to occur. Look for a big changeover in personel in the next year or two for the Lakers. Continuity has been their secret to success in the past but that continuity is harder to obtain these days.
Yup, it has become harder, the cap keeps growing, but so do the players salaries. I can see something like paying for the big 3 (LO, Kobe, Bynum) and then filling the rest of the roster with role players and experience vets who want a chance for a ring.

dmontzsta
01-23-2007, 12:02 PM
I dont think anyone should worry about Bynum yet. He is locked up until 2009/2010 with that year be a "qualifying offer" year. The Lakers are paying him close to 3 million next year and well over 3 million in 09/10.
Kwame still has one year to go and he is making 9 million. A little overpaid for him, especially if he doesnt continue to get better and Bynum is playing this way.
Farmar is locked up until 2010/2011 and making 3 million in his final year. He has a very bright future also.

dmontzsta
01-23-2007, 02:03 PM
LA Daily News Blog: Andrew Bynum finished with 10 points - - all in the first quarter - - a career-high 15 rebounds and four blocks. He did a little studying before the game as well.
"I looked at film last night and how (Hornets center) Tyson Chandler was rebounding against us and I kind of studied the way he was doing it. I tried to mimic it,’’ Bynum said. "What he does is that he watches the ball, he always keeps moving.
"Sometimes I get kind of stagnant out there. I’m just kind of standing straight up and my guy pretty much has his arm on me. Today I was moving around and trying to watch the ball and it worked out for me.’’
This shows just how good this kid wants to be.

dmontzsta
01-23-2007, 02:05 PM
LA Daily News: Jackson called teenage center Andrew Bynum's play "inconsistent" since he replaced Brown in the starting lineup.
But Jackson also added: "He's worked hard at his game," which was a concern earlier this season."
As for Bynum's foul trouble, Jackson said: "I think he's distracted by it. We're trying to say there's position defense, you don't have to block every shot. He's learning that, but he's still getting on his toes and getting up in the air a lot, much too often."