PDA

View Full Version : lights vs.law?

jetboat
01-23-2007, 06:34 AM
the subject about marker lights on jet boats has come up.one of our boaters received a gift for not having them,other than having them on the boat all the time,whats everyone done (other than like me just dont have them)to solve this?and how has the rear light been installed if you dont want any holes.need some feed back.

atxwrangler
01-23-2007, 06:45 AM
get the stick on lights,ask devilman about them.the guy that stopped you musta been a real azz.was it in daylight hrs?

Taylorman
01-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Come on man, if your boat cant outrun the law, you need a bigger engine not lights.

centerhill condor
01-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Come on man, if your boat cant outrun the law, you need a bigger engine not lights.
:)

Devilman
01-23-2007, 07:16 AM
LOL, yeah right. Game warden got me while I was loading the boat. He was nice enough to let me get off the ramp though....:rolleyes:

IMPATIENT 1
01-23-2007, 07:24 AM
leave the lites on it steve. come june, you'll want to cruise around broken bow lake at dusk during the taylor meet;) the sunsets are nice on lakes, i'm fixin the lites on the tx fo sure!

Liberator TJ1984
01-23-2007, 07:31 AM
You must have your lights Turned ON by SUNSET according to your local news ....even if the sun is still up:jawdrop:
GF used to work for the State Park and Wardens are supposed to go by whatever time is posted by the news.....most won't and will wait till Actual Sunset...BUT, you never know when you might come across that one a-hole thats had a bad day :devil: :D

Jordy
01-23-2007, 07:33 AM
This is what I went with on my jet and I've never had any problems:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/145862/10001/236/235/9

Devilman
01-23-2007, 07:35 AM
leave the lites on it steve. come june, you'll want to cruise around broken bow lake at dusk during the taylor meet;) the sunsets are nice on lakes, i'm fixin the lites on the tx fo sure!
I thought he didn't have any & was worried about putting some on. Not the other way around, LOL....:rolleyes:

IMPATIENT 1
01-23-2007, 07:40 AM
i think he filled the holes, it was just painted i thought.where'd steve go?:D

Liberator TJ1984
01-23-2007, 07:40 AM
the subject about marker lights on jet boats has come up.one of our boaters received a gift for not having them,other than having them on the boat all the time,whats everyone done (other than like me just dont have them)to solve this?and how has the rear light been installed if you dont want any holes.need some feed back.
Back to the questions:D
I made a bracket that bolted to the rear of the block for the back light to plug into, Eddie's or Rex has a pop-up flush mount front light if you wish to go that route

Devilman
01-23-2007, 07:47 AM
i think he filled the holes, it was just painted i thought.where'd steve go?:D
Damn, shot himself in the foot on that one, huh? http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10158oldbuck40il7.gif LMAO

jetboat
01-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Damn, shot himself in the foot on that one, huh? http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10158oldbuck40il7.gif LMAO
iam here,some of use should WORK,tom,there glasseed over on the avenger,also on the taylor.guess ill redrill and install the bow light and removable on the rear.

IMPATIENT 1
01-23-2007, 08:00 AM
iam here,some of use should WORK,tom,there glasseed over on the avenger,also on the taylor.guess ill redrill and install the bow light and removable on the rear.
lol, i've been at work for @2hrs and have already flagged 6hrs;) , when you can do that, they don't say anything to you @ being on the internet:D and remember, i'm the foreman:)

roostwear
01-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Suction cup light on the bow, and a clamp on light on the scoop on the engine cover. Works great, comes off when not needed, and no holes!

jetboat
01-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Suction cup light on the bow, and a clamp on light on the scoop on the engine cover. Works great, comes off when not needed, and no holes!
just called the texas park and wildlife,spoke to a officer of the law,quote; need lights durring sunrise to sunset and during restricted visability.during the daylight hours,dont need them,.and tom,bet you cant sleep on the job!i just took a little nap! eat your heart out bud.lol.

IMPATIENT 1
01-23-2007, 08:17 AM
just called the texas park and wildlife,spoke to a officer of the law,quote; need lights durring sunrise to sunset and during restricted visability.during the daylight hours,dont need them,.and tom,bet you cant sleep on the job!i just took a little nap! eat your heart out bud.lol.
no time to sleep, money to be made, boats parts to buy:D

jetboat
01-23-2007, 08:23 AM
no time to sleep, money to be made, boats parts to buy:D
what cam? and parts,when the boss says its ok to buy parts,you jump on it!let me know so the moment wount pass!and not gas!.

Devilman
01-23-2007, 08:41 AM
LOL, I meant about pulling the lights....:D
This is what I got for mine, very similar to the ones in the link Jordy posted. Got it here locally for around $18 bucks..... Keep it under the seat & if I get checked, show it to them & go about my business.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10158bowlight1.JPG
I made a bracket out of some flat bar, bolted it to the back of the block, & wired into the terminal strip so its got power whenever the key is on. Then you just plug the light in like on any other boat.....
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10158transomlight.JPG

Wicked Performance Boats
01-23-2007, 08:45 AM
We carry a set of the stick ons. I stick the rear one on the scoop[ only when it's dark and no one can see us] I even tied a rope to it and made several 100 plus mph passes and it didn't come off! so I quit worrying and removed the rope. Budlight

Devilman
01-23-2007, 08:48 AM
If they decide to check you at 2:00 in the afternoon & you don't have operational lights on the boat, they can give you a ticket. Not saying they will, but they certainly can if they want to. You don't need to run the lights during daylight hours, but your boat still has to have lights....

Wicked Performance Boats
01-23-2007, 08:52 AM
If they decide to check you at 2:00 in the afternoon & you don't have operational lights on the boat, they can give you a ticket. Not saying they will, but they certainly can if they want to. You don't need to run the lights during daylight hours, but your boat still has to have lights....
That's LE at it's best! Talk about make a law,make some money.
bl

jetboat
01-23-2007, 08:52 AM
We carry a set of the stick ons. I stick the rear one on the scoop[ only when it's dark and no one can see us] I even tied a rope to it and made several 100 plus mph passes and it didn't come off! so I quit worrying and removed the rope. Budlight
kenney,if it was during daylite hours and not nite,id challange it,the law gave me this number in there law book;31.064,read it.might make a differance.

IMPATIENT 1
01-23-2007, 09:02 AM
what cam? and parts,when the boss says its ok to buy parts,you jump on it!let me know so the moment wount pass!and not gas!.
sorry, my wife's had me busy with honey do's when i get off from work. i'll look up the stuff at lunch time. i'll pm ya the links to the cam and chain

jetboat
01-23-2007, 09:07 AM
sorry, my wife's had me busy with honey do's when i get off from work. i'll look up the stuff at lunch time. i'll pm ya the links to the cam and chain
thats ok,learned to never piss of the warden!hope the parts come tomarrow.

Devilman
01-23-2007, 09:15 AM
That's LE at it's best! Talk about make a law,make some money.
bl
Thats kinda what I'm sayin. :D And this all happened the day I milked the bearings in my old motor. The boat had been sitting for 4 or 5 hours inside the "no wake" zone, not 20 yards from the ramp. But for idleing it that distance in the dark, I had to participate in the "Donate to the State" program. Live & learn at its best...:D
kenney,if it was during daylite hours and not nite,id challange it,the law gave me this number in there law book;31.064,read it.might make a differance.
I did. I've been over the codes, talked to a couple of different officers. According to the laws of the state, navigation lights are required safety equipment, just as much as fire extinguishers, life jackets, or a throwable flotation device. Like I said, the law doesn't require you to operate the lights during the day, but it does require you to have the lights during the day.
What it boils down to, is just what kind of mood the cops in at the time. Like the officer told me, "Nine times out of ten, you get checked & they won't say anything about it. But that tenth time is liable to be a m*thaf*cker."

IMPATIENT 1
01-23-2007, 09:17 AM
steve, check your pms, i sent the links to the cam and chain set

Moneypitt
01-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Transalater please..........

Devilman
01-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Transalater please..........
LMAO, good time for this little guy ---- :confused:
:D

Heatseeker
01-23-2007, 11:10 AM
For anyone considering using those suction cup flashlight type lights, beware.
They can and do fall off. Several years ago a buddy and myself were cruising out to our houseboat on Don Pedro late at night. He was using the suction cup lights on his boat. The rear light fell off. He turned around to see what was up, and in doing so and not realizing that he had changed course when turning around to look, damn near took me out with his boat. We're talking inches between us when he realized what was happening. Luckily, I happened to look over and saw what was happening and hammered the throttle to avoid the collision. Otherwise, the next morning, folks would've been wondering where all the floating gear came from.
Be careful when running with those with those lights!

jetboat
01-23-2007, 11:55 AM
For anyone considering using those suction cup flashlight type lights, beware.
They can and do fall off. Several years ago a buddy and myself were cruising out to our houseboat on Don Pedro late at night. He was using the suction cup lights on his boat. The rear light fell off. He turned around to see what was up, and in doing so and not realizing that he had changed course when turning around to look, damn near took me out with his boat. We're talking inches between us when he realized what was happening. Luckily, I happened to look over and saw what was happening and hammered the throttle to avoid the collision. Otherwise, the next morning, folks would've been wondering where all the floating gear came from.
Be careful when running with those with those lights!
ok,i'll install themon the taylor,and buy something for the avenger.

oldbuck40
01-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Thats kinda what I'm sayin. :D And this all happened the day I milked the bearings in my old motor. The boat had been sitting for 4 or 5 hours inside the "no wake" zone, not 20 yards from the ramp. But for idleing it that distance in the dark, I had to participate in the "Donate to the State" program. Live & learn at its best...:D
I did. I've been over the codes, talked to a couple of different officers. According to the laws of the state, navigation lights are required safety equipment, just as much as fire extinguishers, life jackets, or a throwable flotation device. Like I said, the law doesn't require you to operate the lights during the day, but it does require you to have the lights during the day.
What it boils down to, is just what kind of mood the cops in at the time. Like the officer told me, "Nine times out of ten, you get checked & they won't say anything about it. But that tenth time is liable to be a m*thaf*cker."
Sup Foo! Kenny is right on this! and if you guys that are questioning the fact of lights in texas you ever register your boat by mail and you get all that other crap in the envelope it will say what length boats and how many lights are required safety equipment! damn all ya gotta do is read! lmao!

roostwear
01-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Damn... and I though California had stupid laws.....

dumbandyoung
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM
i went to boaters world and bought a light kit. they are stainless plates that move 360 deg and you stick the light pole in. i dont have pics caz i sold the boat. ill see if i have anything though..or you can check out boaters world there cool looking for a jet boat:D

Devilman
01-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Sup Foo! Kenny is right on this! and if you guys that are questioning the fact of lights in texas you ever register your boat by mail and you get all that other crap in the envelope it will say what length boats and how many lights are required safety equipment! damn all ya gotta do is read! lmao!
Not much, just killin the day...
Then, after it sinks in about the lights, the first thing they holler next is, "What about jetskis? Jetskis don't have any lights!" :rolleyes: :D
You know the answer to that one? :D

oldbuck40
01-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Not much, just killin the day...
Then, after it sinks in about the lights, the first thing they holler next is, "What about jetskis? Jetskis don't have any lights!" :rolleyes: :D
You know the answer to that one? :DYup sure do! says jet skis are NOT allowed on the water anytime between sunset and sunrise!,,,,i personally think it should be a little longer!:D

Devilman
01-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Yup sure do! says jet skis are NOT allowed on the water anytime between sunset and sunrise!,,,,i personally think it should be a little longer!:D
Yeah, I forgot you was a jetski guy.....:rolleyes: :D

oldbuck40
01-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I forgot you was a jetski guy.....:rolleyes: :Dlol dont and wont own one!

speeddreamon
02-09-2007, 01:30 PM
greetings,
this is my first post to ***boat.com, here is my boat project: http://www.heli-chair.com/boat.html. i live in groveland, ca (near yosemite), and i frequent the don pedro resevoir.
i'm looking to equip my jetboat with some nice retractable or modular/removable type lights. see, everything on my boat is flush or nearly so, and i want to keep that theme without having some ugly light fixture sticking out.
as for the suction cup lights, well those would do for emergencies or for one season maybe, but frankly i've got enough junk to take in the boat with me, let alone have some lights rolling around in the bottom until i need them. i just don't like the idea much, though i haven't ruled it out completely because cutting a few large holes in the boat isn't somethign i want to do either.
my red and green navigation lights will have to be separate and on either side of the boat just ahead of where the windshield would be. i don't have access to the forward bow area because it's closed off. these are the best i can find so far for that purpose:
http://www.acconmarine.com/products.asp?cat=6&subcat=10&view=PROD
[by the way, can anyone give me dimensions on the above light? or a picture with a ruler next to it]
they look fairly nice. i already have the accon pop-up cleats installed, so it might match pretty nicely.
but what about the transom/stern light? i can't put a pole on my engine, as my engine area is enclosed. i was thinking of one of those retractable pole lights, but then again, all the pictures i've seen are very low quality and i just can't see if the light is nice or not. sometimes you just can't tell what this stuff looks like until you buy it.
i spent a lot of money on aircraft type fuel fills, retractable cleats, flush hatch latches, etc. and i can't bring myself to put something ugly on at this point. any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
my ideal product would be an LED lighting system that retracts to flush (meaning about 1/8" protruding from top of boat), and is machined aluminum...though polished stainless would be fine too. as for the transom light, a pole that retracts manually or electrically also to flush (again about an 1/8" sticking out) would be pretty nice.
by the way, is anyone familiar with any manufacture who makes LED wash lighting that is waterproof for installation on boats? i would like to put something under the gunwale inside the cabin to give some ambient light.
thanks in advance for your inputs!
kas
"speed dreamon"

jetboat
02-09-2007, 01:38 PM
just wondering,seams your budget is a little over the top!with all the fancy made to fit stuff.most of us want go fast boats and saftey vs stuff.

speeddreamon
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
i wouldn't say my budget is over the top, i just have an eye for this sort of stuff and hate to put something on there that isn't in line with the other equipment.
as for safety, i did take measures to make it safe and reliable, in fact reliability/safety was the number one factor in any decision i made. practical is another key factor. i guess cost was a bit less important and i'm sure i spent more money than necessary, but when i'm on the water, i'm thinking only about being on the water and having fun. i don't have to wonder in the back of my mind...is the (insert system name here) going to fail?
it's a disease i guess. the old saying is correct, a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into.
kas

boatgonewild
02-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I totally dont know what hes talking about but I want one......;)

Boatcop
02-09-2007, 05:33 PM
There's a couple of issues here.
When lights are required. As someone said, between sunset and sunrise, and during periods of reduced visibility. They are NOT required to be on the boat during the daylight. If that were true, PWCs would not be allowed, since none of them come with lights. Same with small fishing boats, john boats and the like.
If you received a ticket for not having them during the day, FIGHT IT! You'll win.
Also if you received a ticket based on some arbitrary TV weathercast, while the sun is still up. FIGHT IT! You'll win. The TV report may be broadcast from several hundred miles away, and the sunset time at the station may be quite a bit different than the time at the lake. As an example, our TV broadcasts come from Phoenix, but we're 150 mile away at the River. There is a 9 minute difference in sunset from Phoenix to Parker.
Now if it's just "still light", but the sun has gone down (twilight) you may not have an argument. Even then it's nit-picky. We usually don't start citing people for at least 10-15 minutes after sunset. But if you can still see the big glowing ball in the sky, the ticket was BS.
Suction-cup lights. I have yet to see a suction-cup, battery powered navigation light that complies with the visibility requirements. That's one mile for the combination (red/green) bow light, and two miles for the all around white light. Keep in mind that batteries won't last long, even when new, if they're constantly on. Also, the white light must be visible for 360 degrees. That means high enough not to be blocked by parts of the boat or passengers. Just sticking it on the scoop probably isn't high enough.

Boatcop
02-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Not true. Anyone who tells you that doesn't know what he's talking about. Here's a guide to Texas boating law:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/pwd_br_l2000_0001/
Most Game Wardens around the country are primarily Fin, Fur and Feathers folks, and do boating enforcement as a sideline. They sometimes have a misunderstanding of the boating laws, and when and how to apply them.
I'd like to know what statute they cited, when they told you that every boat has to have lights, even during the day.

77charger
02-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Suction-cup lights. Also, the white light must be visible for 360 degrees. That means high enough not to be blocked by parts of the boat or passengers. Just sticking it on the scoop probably isn't high enough.
I found this out from officer guy nelson of the la paz county sheriffs dpt first hand :D
So if you want to be safe mount it very high also make sure on them stick on lights that the red and green colors are on the proper side when you change batteries too.

Jetaholic
02-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Not true. Anyone who tells you that doesn't know what he's talking about. Here's a guide to Texas boating law:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/pwd_br_l2000_0001/
Most Game Wardens around the country are primarily Fin, Fur and Feathers folks, and do boating enforcement as a sideline. They sometimes have a misunderstanding of the boating laws, and when and how to apply them.
I'd like to know what statute they cited, when they told you that every boat has to have lights, even during the day.
Boatcop to the rescue!!!
BC, out of curiosity, why is it that some cops feel the need to enforce their beliefs, morals and judgements rather than enforce the actual written laws they are paid to enforce? Almost like they have to harass people as some sort of 'show of power' thing?

boatgonewild
02-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Because of that look. and theres two kinds of looks, the first one is the gaze then the smile and him looking at her and saying , thats what I really wanted, but you made me buy this tri- haul
And then theres the second look, most often by law enforsement offering up opionions like there having way to much fun, and theres diffently to many girls.... hey... hey... you girls put those tops on or were all going downtown.:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Boatcop
02-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Boatcop to the rescue!!!
BC, out of curiosity, why is it that some cops feel the need to enforce their beliefs, morals and judgements rather than enforce the actual written laws they are paid to enforce? Almost like they have to harass people as some sort of 'show of power' thing?
We don't just enforce the written law. That is, just the specific violation. There is a lot of room for interpretation in some statutes. Mainly the Careless, Reckless, Negligent provision. Loosely defined, this means any operation of a watercraft that can cause damage to property or injury to persons. Same with the Speed laws. "Reasonable & Prudent" leaves a lot of room for Officer discretion.
I can't speak for other Officers, but I have to draw on past experience, and what causes or contributes to accidents. Over 30+ years, there's not much I haven't seen and, for me at least, I can justify my opinions about dangerous operation with facts.
That doesn't mean I have to cop an attitude. It goes over much better when I just explain that what people are doing can and does kill people.
Unfortunately, defense attorneys are getting more and more aggressive, and trying to apply the law exactly as written, in that if it isn't specifically worded in the law, then it's not a violation.
Take teak or platform dragging. There's no question that hanging onto a swim step while the boat is moving can cause death. There are dozens of fatalities from CO poisoning from people doing this, and countless near deaths. On Lake Pleasant a few years ago, a guy was charged with manslaughter for driving the boat drunk and allowing someone to teak drag. The defense argued that since it wasn't spelled out in the law, teak dragging wasn't illegal. So while he may have been OUI, the teak dragging didn't rise to "reckless", so manslaughter didn't apply. The Judge bought it.
But that doesn't mean I'm going to just watch people drive by while teak dragging. My job is to prevent accidents, injuries and death, by enforcing, not only the law, but "Safe Boating Practices" besides.
As far as nudity, there's a time and place for everything. Hanging out at the Sandbar or a secluded cove is one thing. But cruising past families that are boating or by a crowded beach or park is another.
Not just to prevent the exposure to children, but to protect the nudist as well. One complaint and willingness to testify from a "victim" of indecent exposure, causes the flasher to be subject to a Felony beef, and the requirement to register as a Sex-Offender for the rest of their lives. One moment of indescretion can ruin someone for life.

FryJet
02-10-2007, 11:14 AM
This is what I had on my old Challenger.........................
http://www.acconmarine.com/products/206-M.jpg
It looks great, just flip it closed in the daytime and its totally flat and when its open it almost looks like a little capsuled shovle nose hydro, lol. Those stick on suction cup lights are junk and slide off to easily. If your going to be using your boat after sunset then why not have a good set of lights that always work instead of a some cheap battery powered suction cup deal?
F.J.

atxwrangler
02-10-2007, 12:37 PM
boat cop, devilman actually recieved a ticket for that violation!:confused:

Boatcop
02-10-2007, 01:01 PM
boat cop, devilman actually recieved a ticket for that violation!:confused:
He needs to fight it. And then talk to the supervisor of the Officer that issued it.

jetboat
02-10-2007, 07:20 PM
just went to the dallas boat show,spoke with a officer of texas parks and wildlife,kenney and others who do not run lites,she said to fight it!only need lights if its night,dark no moon fog not in sun light.you got a pinis for a officer.

speeddreamon
02-11-2007, 12:27 PM
i like those pictured by fryjet. my next problem is finding the "all around" light, which i improperly referred to as the "transom light" in my previous post. this is a white light that has to be 1 meter up above the red/green lights. i saw a motorized pole one mentioned somewhere, anyone have specific experience or nice photos of that?
thanks
kas

Devilman
02-12-2007, 05:26 AM
I guess people missed this part. :rolleyes:
First off, this happened 2 years ago. I didn't fight the ticket because it was dark, 10:16 p.m. to be exact, looking at the ticket right now. :) I never said it wasn't dark.....
Boatcop, this is what the officer wrote in the Violation Description: "No navigational lights"......
I was just kind of surprised about getting the citation because, I hadn't been acting like an asshole, running around the lake all day with a loud-ass boat, pissing off Gramma & Grampa Jones by scaring the ducks away. Or buzzing the cove & ruining the fishing where Clem & BillyBob were tryin to land that monster catfish. The boat had been sitting parked for the better part of the day, with motor problems. I merely cranked up & idled a distance of 20 yards or so to the ramp to load the boat. It was my bad judgement in not just loading the boat when I first discovered the problem in the first place. I don't run at night & don't plan to, but the lights I have will suffice if I ever get into a similar situation again. :rollside:

jetboat
02-12-2007, 05:43 AM
o!that time frame changes everything,however,as was told buy the wildlife person,the law says only at ''nite or bad visibility" lights are not a must.its how you play the system.probley still wont install the darn things,but then?.

Devilman
02-12-2007, 06:01 AM
o!that time frame changes everything,however,as was told buy the wildlife person,the law says only at ''nite or bad visibility" lights are not a must.its how you play the system.probley still wont install the darn things,but then?.
It doesn't matter to me either way. I know how they operate around here & I did what I needed to do to avoid another ticket. If I gotta have lights, all I have to do is get them out from under the seat. Now I don't have to worry about "playing the system" or possibly fighting a ticket in the future. Simple as that.....

patrolman808
02-13-2007, 04:44 PM
I have to get some lights as well...mine doens't have any at all. Also in Tx, daytime is technically 30 minutes before sunrise, and 30 minutes after sunset, so that's something to remember if you get stopped for not having your lights on.

Boatcop
02-13-2007, 05:44 PM
I have to get some lights as well...mine doens't have any at all. Also in Tx, daytime is technically 30 minutes before sunrise, and 30 minutes after sunset, so that's something to remember if you get stopped for not having your lights on.
Technically and legally are 2 different things. Here's what the Texas law says about lights:
Lights Required
All vessels including motorboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.

patrolman808
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Technically and legally are 2 different things. Here's what the Texas law says about lights:
Ahh..I guess there is a difference between road and water laws. I figured they might be the same. I'm just used to traffic law.

atxwrangler
02-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I guess people missed this part. :rolleyes:
First off, this happened 2 years ago. I didn't fight the ticket because it was dark, 10:16 p.m. to be exact, looking at the ticket right now. :) I never said it wasn't dark.....
Boatcop, this is what the officer wrote in the Violation Description: "No navigational lights"......
I was just kind of surprised about getting the citation because, I hadn't been acting like an asshole, running around the lake all day with a loud-ass boat, pissing off Gramma & Grampa Jones by scaring the ducks away. Or buzzing the cove & ruining the fishing where Clem & BillyBob were tryin to land that monster catfish. The boat had been sitting parked for the better part of the day, with motor problems. I merely cranked up & idled a distance of 20 yards or so to the ramp to load the boat. It was my bad judgement in not just loading the boat when I first discovered the problem in the first place. I don't run at night & don't plan to, but the lights I have will suffice if I ever get into a similar situation again. :rollside:
sorry kenny,i think i missed that small detail!:D :D

speeddreamon
06-28-2007, 07:18 AM
i went the rounds trying to pick what to buy. the accon pop up lights are just too big for my taste, so i went with led strips. i siliconed them on under the rub rail. i also have a removable vertical post that serves as the all-around light. the post mounts on the back of the seat when not in use. i got the led's from oznium.com, the wires are flimsy on the strips so i cut and spliced them with some better wire.
by the way, the gps wire hanging down is not to be interpreted as the cabin light, the pic makes it look that way but it's not. the cabin lights are up under the gunwale.
i have switches to turn on the lights for boating and for anchoring. the anchor light is dimmable so when you're passed out at anchor, you aren't bothered by a bright glow :) the cabin lights have controls to change the color to any combination of red/green/blue. you can make it purple or whatever you choose. i am trying to find a music sensor that will pulse lights with music.
http://www.heli-chair.com/images_public/boat/lights/PICT7093.JPG
http://www.heli-chair.com/images_public/boat/lights/PICT7098.JPG
http://www.heli-chair.com/images_public/boat/lights/PICT7099.JPG
http://www.heli-chair.com/images_public/boat/lights/PICT7100.JPG
http://www.heli-chair.com/images_public/boat/lights/PICT7101.JPG
more about the boat: http://www.heli-chair.com/boat.html

pw_Tony
06-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Those LEDS on the front of the bow look very skeek.... so you just siliconded them to the boat under the rub-rail?

speeddreamon
06-28-2007, 09:52 AM
yeah, i will get some daylight pictures soon. they are just siliconed on. my silicone is a bit on the questionable side of "beauty" but it's easy to redo if i start feeling bad about it.

Jet Hydro
06-28-2007, 10:03 AM
where did you get em? I like em :D

kp216
06-28-2007, 05:44 PM
where did you get em? I like em :D
Jet Hydro - I'm not real sure, but you might check here...
i got the led's from oznium.com
:D :D :D