PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a V-drive motor VS setting up a Jetboat motor

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 04:09 PM
Hey all you "die hard" performance inthusiasts & racers out there,I "finally" had the opportunity to get the V-drive I have been wanting to get my hands on since 1985 which I purchased "without" a motor! I set the motor up "half ass" similar to what I have run in my jetboats and learned "quickly" I had to have a LOT more torque & a little "less" rpm for these V-drives! eek! Since I'm currently freezing my ass of in the midwest and have till around April or May to get a "GOOD" strong motor built for this Sanger I'm "asking" all you experienced V-drive racers/owners to give me some of your expert advice as to "HOW" you think I should set this boat up?? :confused: :confused: ANY and ALL suggestions will be "greatly" appreciated!! Thanks wink

theman
10-14-2002, 05:17 PM
WHAT KIND OF BOAT IS IT

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 05:28 PM
The boat is a 1985 Sanger 19'Family Ski model.Here's a "better" idea!! :) http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/MVC-011F1.JPG

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 05:32 PM
I'll tell you what,even though I couldn't get the motor to spin at a high rpm she's pretty damn fast!! :D

theman
10-14-2002, 05:32 PM
NEED MORE INFO WHAT RPM IS THE ENG SEEING WHAT GEAR IS IN IT WHAT PROP YOU HAVE ON HER IS THERE A TRANS IN IT?HOW BIG IS THE ENG IN IT,IN WHAT CAM U GOT

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 05:38 PM
OK,the motor I threw together was just a "temporary" motor so I could take it out on the water for a test drive!(froze my ass off TOO!) it was an experimental attempt to get an "idea" as too HOW I will need to "build" the motor that will "stay" in the boat! I am building a NEW motor from "scratch" (have several BB Chevy's)When I spun the drive-shaft 1 revolution the propshaft spun 1.5 revolutions!

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 05:46 PM
I've been running a 468 with a 671 supercharger in my jet which is hanging on the stand.I want to step up to a bigger blower,I would like to go with a 1471 Littlefield and Dart or Brodix aluminum heads with an Enderle bug catcher injection system (on fuel not alchohol)

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 05:53 PM
To answer your other question there is not a trans in it right now, but I was seriously considering bolting in a polished Turbo 400 or possibly a glide.

theman
10-14-2002, 05:53 PM
THE 468 SOUNDS LIKE A NICE ENG FOR YOUR RIDE WHY DONT YOU JUST ADD IN INTERCOOLER TO THE 468 BOOST IT UP A LITTLE BIT IN GO.LOOKING AT YOUR BOAT WITH OUT MAKING A LOT OF CHANGES THE INJACTED 1471 ENG MIGHT BE A LITTLE MUCH,JUST MY OPINION,LOOKS LIKE A FUN BOAT

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 06:06 PM
Here is the motor my buddy had in it before I bought it from him.He said it was TOO much motor for that V-drive! Not to mention he scared the shit out of his wife (and she's pretty fearless!) the first and LAST time she ever got in it when the boat shot straight up "airborn" OUT of the water!! http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Sanger_motor.JPG

theman
10-14-2002, 06:10 PM
WHAT BOAT IS THAT

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 06:14 PM
That's my buddy's jetboat,he let his wife talk him into pulling the motor out of the Sanger (before he killed someone or himself)and drop the motor in the jet eek!

DetroitJim
10-14-2002, 06:28 PM
K3:
I'm up in Detroit, I have the identical boat as yours. I've been working on it for 5 years, I'm running 100 plus with 32 gears and a 16 prop. Look at this link:
http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitjim
I have gotten some great advice on this board, but everybody's boat and situation is different. For what it's worth, here's my take on this deal:
Your hull is good for zipping around at 70 or so but if you want to run 100 there are some things to consider. The engine is only part of it. The family skier hull is a true flat bottom, no runners. There is no rocker in the hull and a very slight hook on the outer edges. Your strut is probably 8 degrees. You have to find out if it will take a set and run without hopping or getting squirrelly. It sounds like you have enough motor, I ran 94 with an oval port 468 and a 8-71 making 8 lbs. boost. A 540 took me to 105. A 14-71 is a lot of blower for a 468 on gas in that hull. If you have 1.50 gears, those need to come out but check them again and let us know.
DJ

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 06:30 PM
I have been talking with a guy that's out on the Northern West Coast about buying his Hydro Pickle-fork.I have been wanting a Pickle-fork for a long time and since you can't even pick up a V-drive in this part of the country (most people don't even know what the hell a V-drive IS) a Pickle-fork is even "harder" to find! So if I'm going to get what I want I'm going to have to take a trip out west and drag one back!! :D

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Nice boat DJ,what year is it? I realized right away the gears that are currently in my boat were a bit TOO steep and the prop also seems to have a bit too much pitch. The motor I threw in there to take it for a ride was originally in my 70 Stingray. I beefed up the bottom end a bit with a GM 4340 forged crank and threw a set of 11.25 to 1 for an LS6 along with a set of 7/16 Dimple rods a Comp Cams 294 duration 578 lift? I think (don't remeber the exact lift) hyd. cam,Jackson gear drive with the original 1970 oval port 94.6cc chambered heads. On top was a weiand tunnel-ram with a pair of Holley 750 vac.secondary carbs. I couldn't get a lot of rpm (a bit over 4000) but she was a flyin!!

ssmike
10-14-2002, 07:02 PM
K3-River-Rat:
Here is the motor my buddy had in it before I bought it from him.He said it was TOO much motor for that V-drive! Not to mention he scared the shit out of his wife (and she's pretty fearless!) the first and LAST time she ever got in it when the boat shot straight up "airborn" OUT of the water!! http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Sanger_motor.JPGUm, thats not TOO MUCH motor for the V-drive...Has your buddy ever been in a V-drive? Take a look at the boats in the V-drive section of the Readers Rides.

GofastRacer
10-14-2002, 07:10 PM
ssmike:
K3-River-Rat:
Here is the motor my buddy had in it before I bought it from him.He said it was TOO much motor for that V-drive! Not to mention he scared the shit out of his wife (and she's pretty fearless!) the first and LAST time she ever got in it when the boat shot straight up "airborn" OUT of the water!! http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Sanger_motor.JPGUm, thats not TOO MUCH motor for the V-drive...Has your buddy ever been in a V-drive? Take a look at the boats in the V-drive section of the Readers Rides.Love to have that in mine!, OH YEAHHH!!!!... :) :)

ssmike
10-14-2002, 07:25 PM
Yep! RR, that would fit with minimal mods in the Daytona!!
ssmike

superdave013
10-14-2002, 07:26 PM
You are on the right track.
Fact #1. Most lake racers have their boats over geared
Fact #2. Short gears win races and keep you out in front of your buddies jet boat :D
What ever engine you end up with you will need to re-gear the boat to get it in the correct rpm range. Sounds like you have some 48% gears in it now and that's a huge gear. Even for a big inch blown gas set on kill that's still a big gear. I bet if you kept the engine that's in it now and put some 15% in the box it would run pretty good.
I exchange gears so when it's time let me know and I can help you get it geared correctly. If you take that blown 468 (pump gas??) and slap it in your boat I would start off with a 29%. I would still think that would be high for drag racing but most lake guys don't want to turn the big RPM. If you want it to be a quick MoFo put some 22's in it and you will shit your pants. But your valve train will have to ba able to hang in the 8,000 range. :D
BTW, that's a clean looking flat!!
Don't put a t-400 or a glide in it. Not worth the weight and they just don't shift as good as you need them to in a flat. If your going trans a Lenco is the only way. I would say you don't even need that for what your doing.
Oh, some more shamless spam. I make a puller to remove the top bearing from you case. That makes changing gears a snap.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/casale_v-drive4.JPG

GofastRacer
10-14-2002, 07:34 PM
ssmike:
Yep! RR, that would fit with minimal mods in the Daytona!!
ssmikeYeah, almost a bolt in!!!, think if I don't sell it, that may be the plan for next summer!!, Heeehaaaa!!!!........ eek! eek!

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 07:41 PM
ssmike,I have gone and looked at the V-drives after I got this thing from him and I thought the same thing! Looks like these guys are running that much motor and THEN some!! I honestly think that whom-ever set this boat up in the first place has the prop over driven "TOO" much with "TOO" much pitch on the prop also eek! If I could have got my motor to spin what it did in the shop "before" I put it in the water I would have been running better than 150MPH eek! eek! A slight crack of the throttle and I would get an instant 7000 to 7300 RPM response! Out in the water I was able to push it just over 4000 RPM and that bitch was flat "haulin ass"!! My experimental run showed me I need to change the gears or prop pitch to get a little more RPM and a bit "less" speed!! Hey Guys, Thanks for the feed-back so far,I've been around the block a "few" times and got a pretty good idea what I need to do to get this thing running "right" I like getting info.from people that have been there done that just to make sure I'm on the track I "think" I sould be on!!

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 07:57 PM
superdave,would you be interested in taking these gears I have in on trade? I really don't think I'll ever want to go 200 MPH in any boat I'll ever own! I've already flown through the air over 300FT on my Softail back in 1988 and damn near killed myself (very lucky to be here!) "THAT" was enough for me!! I've lived & breathed "high performance" all my life and have learned "WHERE" to draw the line the "HARD" way!! Those 22's sound like they might work out pretty good for me. Let me know what it will take to close a deal on them.

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 08:19 PM
By the way superdave,the valve-train is not a problem! I didn't want to "accidently" hurt that block since it "is" a date-coded 1970 Corvette block! So I went "small" with the cam & heads! I have my full roller rectangle port 990's ready and waiting to bolt on along with a custom ground supercharger roller cam! :D :D :D

superdave013
10-14-2002, 08:35 PM
K3-River-Rat:
superdave,would you be interested in taking these gears I have in on trade? I really don't think I'll ever want to go 200 MPH in any boat I'll ever own! I've already flown through the air over 300FT on my Softail back in 1988 and damn near killed myself (very lucky to be here!) "THAT" was enough for me!! I've lived & breathed "high performance" all my life and have learned "WHERE" to draw the line the "HARD" way!! Those 22's sound like they might work out pretty good for me. Let me know what it will take to close a deal on them.Shoot me an e-mail to valveautomation1@earthlink.net and I'll give the the scoop on the gear exchange program.
What is the pitch and diameter of your prop?

superdave013
10-14-2002, 08:38 PM
Oh we also need to know what angle your v-drive is. It could be a 10 or a 12 degree. If you don't know look at the casting # on the front case and let us know what they are.

K3-River-Rat
10-14-2002, 08:55 PM
I'll get on it tomorrow,I will have to measure the diameter of the prop-shaft and check the casting # out on the case and get back to you. I'd go check it out now, but it's almost midnight where I live and I'm gettin pretty damn tired. You can clearly "see" the angle the front case cover has been casted at. I'll most likely shoot you an e-mail tomorrow some time. Thanks