PDA

View Full Version : Rhino CDI

don johnson
01-23-2007, 09:55 AM
I have a Black Rhino CDI in my Rhino and it is having terrible cold starting issues. Called Black Rhino and they admit there is a problem....
Anyone have intel on other CDI manufacturer's? I have heard that they are all made from the same vendor.... I have called a few like AMR and Hunterworks and they claim they do their own and have no problems.
Anyone have some info on this? Whom makes the best CDI and makes the most HP?

Cole Trickle
01-23-2007, 10:45 AM
I have a Black Rhino CDI in my Rhino and it is having terrible cold starting issues. Called Black Rhino and they admit there is a problem....
Anyone have intel on other CDI manufacturer's? I have heard that they are all made from the same vendor.... I have called a few like AMR and Hunterworks and they claim they do their own and have no problems.
Anyone have some info on this? Whom makes the best CDI and makes the most HP?
Dynatech is the newest kid on the market. Higher rev limiter and more timing than the procom unit. (It requires 91 Octane):)

djunkie
01-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Dynatech is the newest kid on the market. Higher rev limiter and more timing than the procom unit. (It requires 91 Octane):)
Didn't really cure my starting problems though.
Try this on cold starts:
crank engine for a few seconds with choke all the way in. Then give it 3/4 to full choke and crank for short bursts. Like 2-3 seconds. Should start. Works for me sometimes anyways.

Cole Trickle
01-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Try this on cold starts:
crank engine for a few seconds with choke all the way in. Then give it 3/4 to full choke and crank for short bursts. Like 2-3 seconds. Should start. Works for me sometimes anyways.
Mine starts better now that I jetted it.:)
It used to cold start like a bitch!!

EAZYKILLER2006
01-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Try this on cold starts:
we have the same problem ...hubby does that same shait!...lol ~lucky it takes me forever to get everything together...so hubby just lets it run till i get it together ....SEEMS TO WORK FOR US:)

djunkie
01-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Mine starts better now that I jetted it.:)
It used to cold start like a bitch!!
I think I'm gonna be doing mine soon too.

EAZYKILLER2006
01-23-2007, 12:30 PM
I think I'm gonna be doing mine soon too.
hubby is doing his too! he likes garys (force 26?) i think thats himzy on here ...i getting every one confused...:(

dumbandyoung
01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
don did you get the boat sold or the burb sold yet?:confused:

riverbound
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
After I jetted mine I never had a cold start problem.

INSman
01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I have a DynaTek and don't have ANY cold start issues, but I am adding some goodies later on this week along with some jetting, so I am hoping for continued success :D

sigepmock
01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Bump the pilot jet to a 42.5 or 45 and that will help alot. Also with the BRP CDI(Procomm) turn the key to the "run" position for 10 seconds or so before cranking it, then try starting it. If you have the digital dash....watch the speedo and it will cycle thru some stuff and get back to 0 mph...then try starting it.
Good luck,
Chris

djunkie
01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
I have a DynaTek and don't have ANY cold start issues, but I am adding some goodies later on this week along with some jetting, so I am hoping for continued success :D
I never had a problem with mine till I got around 10 hours on the motor. After that it got the gremlin in it.

djunkie
01-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Bump the pilot jet to a 42.5 or 45 and that will help alot. Also with the BRP CDI(Procomm) turn the key to the "run" position for 10 seconds or so before cranking it, then try starting it. If you have the digital dash....watch the speedo and it will cycle thru some stuff and get back to 0 mph...then try starting it.
Good luck,
Chris
Hey Chris, I'm gonna order the intake and jet kit this week. Could you PM me with your combo so I don't have to guess? :D

sigepmock
01-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey Chris, I'm gonna order the intake and jet kit this week. Could you PM me with your combo so I don't have to guess? :D
45 pilot jet from Yamaha, 165 main from the Dyno jet kit....you can probably run the 160 main unless you get the header pipe or grind out the stock one, Dyno jet needle clip on the second notch and the air/fuel screw two turns out...just like the Dynojet instructions show.
Hope that helps,
Chris

djunkie
01-23-2007, 03:59 PM
45 pilot jet from Yamaha, 165 main from the Dyno jet kit....you can probably run the 160 main unless you get the header pipe or grind out the stock one, Dyno jet needle clip on the second notch and the air/fuel screw two turns out...just like the Dynojet instructions show.
Hope that helps,
Chris
Hey does Rancho Motorsports sell the siphon breaks? IMaybe I'll just order it all from them.

Cole Trickle
01-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Hope that helps,
Chris
do the 150 Jet it runs much much better:D;)

CornWater
01-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Don't forget you get to drill the brass plug out covering the mixture screw. :mad: Once you have done that turn it in until it "seats" and then back out 2 turns.

djunkie
01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
do the 150 Jet it runs much much better:D;)
Is that what you went down to?

sigepmock
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey does Rancho Motorsports sell the siphon breaks? IMaybe I'll just order it all from them.
He had a few last time I talked with him. Give him a call.

djunkie
01-23-2007, 04:17 PM
He had a few last time I talked with him. Give him a call.
On the phone with him now.

Cole Trickle
01-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Is that what you went down to?
??
I got so pissed undoing the phillips screws that I just grabbed one off the work bench and screwed it in...
Could be a 160 could be a 145 it's a mystery!!??:D
Do these things need the same air/fuel mixture as a car? I have been thinking about strapping it to the dyno with the air fuel reader to get it dialed.:)

djunkie
01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
??
I got so pissed undoing the phillips screws that I just grabbed one off the work bench and screwed it in...
Could be a 160 could be a 145 it's a mystery!!??:D
Do these things need the same air/fuel mixture as a car? I have been thinking about strapping it to the dyno with the air fuel reader to get it dialed.:)
I'd imagine they would require the same. 14.7/1 or something right?

Cole Trickle
01-23-2007, 04:45 PM
I'd imagine they would require the same. 14.7/1 or something right?
That is pretty rich...al the cars we have tuned are usually in the low 13's

djunkie
01-23-2007, 04:47 PM
That is pretty rich...al the cars we have tuned are usually in the low 13's
Low 13's is richer than 14.7 bud.

Cole Trickle
01-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Low 13's is richer than 14.7 bud.
Im sorry your right. 14.7 is Lean:D
Pretty sure you can get NA stuff in the 12's but my vette is low 13's to be safe.

djunkie
01-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Im sorry your right. 14.7 is Lean:D
Pretty sure you can get NA stuff in the 12's but my vette is low 13's to be safe.
14.7 I think is optimum. Most run a little rich to be safe. Which is probably smart. :D

boatnam2
01-23-2007, 05:20 PM
i have the dynatek didnt know you had to run 91,learn something new everyday on ***boat.i think i put 91 in it i better change out the gas just incase.

djunkie
01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
i have the dynatek didnt know you had to run 91,learn something new everyday on ***boat.i think i put 91 in it i better change out the gas just incase.
It advances the timing 4 degrees so it would be a good idea to run 91 or better. :D

boatnam2
01-23-2007, 07:40 PM
yea belive me i know about detonation,few blown up boat motors,dont know why i didnt think about it.but thanks