PDA

View Full Version : Why is the steering wheel on the left ?

1968Droptop
01-23-2007, 04:12 PM
I've been asked a couple of times why the steering wheel is on the left only in what seems to be 'our' application ?
The only logical reason I can come up with is because 'our' boats are foot throttle operated, and most peeps are used to right foot engine control ?

Taylorman
01-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Why are boat steering wheels on the right. Cars are left. Seems like the right side is the odd side. We are normal. Boats with right side steering belong in Japan.

77charger
01-23-2007, 06:43 PM
My guess foot pedal and for I/Os being on the right is hand control most are right handed makes things easier.
Although in my case on my when i sold my jet and bought a eliminator open bow with an I/O it happened to come with steering on the left side.Took a trip or 2 to get use to

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-23-2007, 06:45 PM
because WE are on the RIGHT side. The other guys are on the WRONG side!! :D

Wicked Performance Boats
01-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I believe it's for torque. Most boats the steering is or was set up to counter the torque for the kind of motor and drive. A jetboat tries to torque up on the left side. By putting the drivers weight there, it helps counter act the twisting. Budlight

MWJSOne
01-24-2007, 01:57 AM
Jets and V Drives are all on the leftside Torque is correct Wicked gets 4 gold stars
I believe it's for torque. Most boats the steering is or was set up to counter the torque for the kind of motor and drive. A jetboat tries to torque up on the left side. By putting the drivers weight there, it helps counter act the twisting. Budlight

Sanger Jet
01-24-2007, 06:53 AM
It's easier to deliver the mail ?:D

kp216
01-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Jets and V Drives are all on the leftside Torque is correct Wicked gets 4 gold stars
The majority - Yes.
All - No.
Steering on my 78 CobraJet is on the right. Hand throttle/shifter too.

Devilman
01-24-2007, 07:51 AM
The majority - Yes.
All - No.
Every Baja & Glastron I've seen so far is the same way, right hand drive.
How ya doin, KP? :D

BarryMac
01-24-2007, 07:56 AM
My Carrera is a RightHand drive with a hand throttle, it's different but I like it, I usually set the throttle at about 3300rpms and sit back and enjoy the ride...

old rigger
01-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Doesn't matter one bit which side you mount the steering on a jet. Some hulls may have the dash dedicated to one side or the other, but other than that, it's whatever the customer wants.
Years ago outboards and I/O's mounted on the right to offset the prop tourque, like wicked said, but that had alot to do with hull design too. With todays hulls, doesn't matter. It's tradition, most jets and v-drives on the left, and others on the right.
An old timer told me years ago that the steering was on the right to make it easier to dock your boat on a river. Assuming that most everyone drove the correct way, up river on the right side and down river on the left. Someone could pull up to the gas dock by himself with the steering on the right and handle his boat much easier than if he was on the left side. Hell, sounds good to me. lol

1978 Rogers
01-24-2007, 08:56 AM
The Great Dallylama once told me "Unga dalalunga".

old rigger
01-24-2007, 10:09 AM
The Great Dallylama once told me "Unga dalalunga".
He told me to 'get the hell out of the way, you're blocking the sun'.

Jetaholic
01-24-2007, 11:54 AM
I've been asked a couple of times why the steering wheel is on the left only in what seems to be 'our' application ?
Ever wonder what it feels like to drive a car over a lake?

Wicked Performance Boats
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
It's easier to deliver the mail ?:D
In case no one else noticed. The mailbox is on the RIGHT! BL

95 jetcraft
01-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Can't tell you why performance boats have steering setup on the left, but I can tell you why most boats are set up with steering on the right. It has to do with "Rules of the Road" (Coast Gaurd Regs).
The helm is usually placed on the right side because of the right of way rule. The vessel approaching from the right has the right of way. With the helm positioned on the right hand side of the boat the operator has a better veiw of any approaching vessel that has the right of way.
Ever wonder why the red light is on the left had side of your boat. That is the color of light visible to another vessel when you have the right of way. So it goes to follow that if you see a red light that vessel has the right of way. If you see a green light then they should yield the right of way. Not that anybody pays attention.
I have been a licensed captain for a number of years it would be a big help if everyone knew the rules of the road and followed them.
I'm had to post under this name because I can't get my usual user name to work. I've been trying for over a week to get it fixed but I finally gave up. My old name was Fire Water

SmokinLowriderSS
01-24-2007, 05:42 PM
The majority - Yes.
All - No.
Anything to be Mr Different eh kp216? :D

drysumpjet
01-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Another reason some boats are left hand drive is the placement of a foot throttle, especially true on Vs and SemiVs. The advantage of left hand drive is the foot throttle ends up in the middle of the boat, (for your right foot) not tucked up in the side if it was right hand drive....unless you want to sit sideways or use your left foot for the throttle. That would be weird.

kp216
01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Anything to be Mr Different eh kp216? :D
Yup:D
D-Man - I'm doing all right, just freezing my butt off:coffeycup