PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys run a carb spacer ?

BigDoug
01-23-2007, 08:52 PM
If so what type or style (1in..2in.) wood or plastic or metal ?
Did they help at all ?...............looking for some info for a mild 454 !! :)

MikeF
01-23-2007, 08:54 PM
If it is supposed to go on the boat in the avatar.......buy a few more 12 packs. It'll be more fun. ;)

BigDoug
01-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Not the boat in the avatar silly.......................................19ft. miller jet boat is what im asking about !! :)

MikeF
01-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Still sticking to my 1st post.:)
The only way to really see any improvement in a jet boat is to make 100's of more horsepower. You'll never even notice the 5hp that it "might" give you.:idea:

BigDoug
01-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Woohoo.....................5hp. :)
It doesn't help in the low range ?
Quiker throttle responce ?
Mid range maybe ?
Gosh, i give up i guess !! :D

Havasu Carrera
01-23-2007, 09:33 PM
I would say at 5201 rpm you would gain exactly 3.14 hp. and 1.99 ft lbs of torque.
Of course you will loose the same at just 5 rpm below 2909 rpm which is used in planing that bad boy.
So you will arive 5 miles up river with precisely 8.21 seconds sooner as plaining only consists of the first few feet of the trip.
Now if my calculations are correct a extra 12 pack in the boat at the same cost as a used spacer and you have a wash but you will be making a prop check stop about half way up the river..... Now you gotta plain that thing out again which in turn will cost allot more gas!!!
I got to much time on my hands tonight sorry.
Probibly no difference at all. I tried them on my tunnel ram with NO effect whatsoever.:sleeping: :idea:

Havasu Carrera
01-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Hurts bottom end helps top end and helps keep carb cool so you don't evaporate the gas. (hydrolic lock the fuel line) you get the idea. Buy the 12 pack and I will carry it for ya.:D

Psycho Squid
01-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Carbs who runs those stone age things. I think their ex-stink. lol:D just kidding what all is in the motor and what rpm range. It will hurt the bottom end to run a spacer.
Squid :)

Sanger Jet
01-24-2007, 06:41 AM
Woohoo.....................5hp. :)
It doesn't help in the low range ?
Quiker throttle responce ?
Mid range maybe ?
Gosh, i give up i guess !! :D
Sometimes just working on your boat makes everything all better:D

Huffer
01-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Sure Why Would Anyone Not Run One?keeps The Heat Of The Carb.
The New Thing Is Composit,just Work Fine On Both Of My Carbs.come With New Bolts And All!

BigDoug
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Huffer, did you notice any difference ? :)

spectras only
01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
The New Thing Is Composit,just Work Fine On Both Of My Carbs.come With New Bolts And All!
Had a thermoquad [ phenolic ] carb on my 1972 Challenger . It was a new thing back then. I always put 2" Phenolic spacer on my carbs for decades .
Here's on example on the 1972 LS 6 engine with an 800 DP carb , 1" phenolic and a 2" Holley spacer . Doesn't hurt performance , and the carb is almost cold by touch , running the boat hard :idea: .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/LS-6%201

GUGS102
01-24-2007, 12:45 PM
If you have one laying around, give it a shot. I usually run one on the car(phenolic) for heat. I've tried one on the boat motor, did not notice a difference.
As for hurting the bottom end, I did not notice a difference. I tried it on my air gap.
What is the rest of the combo? maybe there is a better way to get what you are looking for.
Gugs

Wicked Performance Boats
01-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Had a thermoquad [ phenolic ] carb on my 1972 Challenger . It was a new thing back then. I always put 2" Phenolic spacer on my carbs for decades .
Here's on example on the 1972 LS 6 engine with an 800 DP carb , 1" phenolic and a 2" Holley spacer . Doesn't hurt performance , and the carb is almost cold by touch , running the boat hard :idea: .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/LS-6%201
What would you know. Your exhaust is on back wards and there's some black thingy on the back of the engine instead of a jet pump! J/K ps don't put an aluminum one on. Budlight

spectras only
01-24-2007, 01:10 PM
ps don't put an aluminum one on. Budlight
It makes no difference running this engine with the 2" Holley spacer on or off.
The main reason to be there is for easy removal of the valve covers for quick inspection ,with the staggered TR 2 manifold/carb with lines all intact :idea: :D
If I remember well , Mondello had a 5" spacer on one of the 9 hr enduro boats
'Mondello was also instrumental for research and development work with Ford Motor Company (FoMoCo) in the design, development, and shaping of the 429/460 cylinder head program, including the Cobra Jet (CJ), Super Cobra Jet (SCJ) '

Liberator TJ1984
01-24-2007, 01:48 PM
I run one.........size 8/71 :D :p :D

supersoaker509
01-24-2007, 02:50 PM
We run a 1" plastic on a mild 509. Tried a 2" no difference. The 1" did make fuel distribution a lot better.

OverKill
01-24-2007, 02:52 PM
I put a 1.5 spacer from Wilson Manifolds with a single carb tunnel ram. I gained 10hp and stopped it from bad throttle response. Much Much better.
OverKill
P.S. Go to Wilson Manifolds .com and call the 800 number and tell them what your setup is, They really helped me over the phone.

LuckyDaze
01-24-2007, 07:14 PM
If your having troubles with fuel distribution spacing the carb up a little higher may help get that fuel and air to atomize a bit better. If you have good distribution then it wont help anything except keep the carb cooler. If your running really good I have seen spaced carbs ice up that were running too cold. Although, I doubt that is a problem at 115 degrees out on the river. But who knows?
~Brian

BigDoug
01-24-2007, 10:56 PM
I don't know if i need one or not ?..................im just trying to educate myself of any pros or cons with this set up is all, iv'e seen some advertised with a slit cut in the holes and some with swirly ridges going around the holes, hell i woudn't know if i would use the open thingy one or the 4 holed one ?.....................just collecting ideas from you guys !! :)

SmokinLowriderSS
01-25-2007, 05:29 AM
I my 1" aluminum spacer on top of my RPM Air Gap has nitrous tubes in it, and makes a BIG performance difference on the top end. :eek:
I seriously don't think it hurts my lower RPM performance any that is worth note. If it helps fuel distribution, I'll call that a plus, but I can't prove it does.
With my Air Gap manifold, I am not too worried about heat, especially since I still run a hood/sundeck over the engine.

gforceauto
01-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Ok,,, the taller it is the longer it takes the fuel to get to the carb, so it slows throttle responce, but when it gets there it has more volume and weight so it forces it in more. at least this is the theory behind a high rise intake or mid or low. hope this helps
T

cfm
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Describe your "mild" 454 including WOT rpm. More specs you can give the better I can help with advice.

BigDoug
01-26-2007, 05:27 PM
1979 Miller jet boat, fresh pump (berk jc) 454 with mild cam, some head work, 750 carb.................runs around at 65 mph tops. :)

bigblockbill
01-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Find a 850 cfm carb to try while you are at it. I also found the jetting changed slightly between a 1.5in spacer and no spacer on a victor jr intake. As for performance about ~50 rpm increase with the spacer on the top end and could not notice any difference in the bottom or mid range. I think with a shorter intakes and dual plane intakes like spacers even more. Next question 4 hole or open??? Gforce is right the taller the more it slows down the air velocity. The new trick is a 3/4" thick 4 hole spacer with an extra 1/4 sticking into the intake so it acts a 1" but only raises the carb 3/4. Good luck finding one...

cfm
01-27-2007, 05:52 AM
1979 Miller jet boat, fresh pump (berk jc) 454 with mild cam, some head work, 750 carb.................runs around at 65 mph tops. :)
What kind of carburetor ?
What size flame arrestor ? Who's ?
Which intake ?
Which cyl heads ? Valve size ?
What is WOT rpm ?
I apologize if seems I'm being too into this but I need to figure your engine's airflow demands and what exact induction system you have. I can then give you an educated opinion on what may / should work for you or if nothing will really help.

HotRod Sprint
01-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I have a 1/2 inch carb spacer, it ads 250hp......when I push the button :D
Rod

bigblockbill
01-28-2007, 09:01 AM
I have a 1/2 inch carb spacer, it ads 250hp......when I push the button :D
Rod
Now there is the best answer I have heard yet... I love it!!!!

HotRod Sprint
01-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Now there is the best answer I have heard yet... I love it!!!!
(In my best Elvis voice) Thankya, thankya very much. :D
Rod

steelcomp
01-28-2007, 05:59 PM
In most cases, a min. 1" spacer will help top end on a single plane intake. You won't notice any change in low to mid range power on a jet, because jet's don't require any low to mid range power. On a v-drive or I/O, you may notice a difference. With a carb spacer, the intent is that you're effectively increasing plenum volume. You may need a little richer accelerator pump shot, which will make up for some lost throttle response. If you're running a dual plane on a jet, get rid of it. It's of no benefit. On a single plane, you always want to run an open spacer, but there are some new ideas out with a clover leaf design that tranasition into an open spacer. Mostly a race deal, but you never know how it may benefit a given application.
CFM can help you with more specific info if you give him the particular's he's asking for.
I would say at 5201 rpm you would gain exactly 3.14 hp. and 1.99 ft lbs of torque.
Of course you will loose the same at just 5 rpm below 2909 rpm which is used in planing that bad boy. Hey Havasu...1.99 lbs/ft @ 5201 rpm is only 1.97 hp. That equates to just over a six pac, not quite a twelver. If you did get the 3.14hp, that would be a gain of 3.17lbs/ft, which is getting twelvish, but still a little short. Gotta buy more beer. :) :D :D