PDA

View Full Version : Bow Tank vs. Saddle Tanks

El Prosecutor
01-24-2007, 09:30 AM
How does having a bow tank instead of saddle tanks effect performance in a jet? Seems like it would put a damper on "wheelies", but how else?

Cas
01-24-2007, 09:41 AM
more weight in the front causes the bow to go down. When the bow goes down, there is more wetted surface which in turn will cause a loss of speed.

lucky
01-24-2007, 10:01 AM
How does having a bow tank instead of saddle tanks effect performance in a jet? Seems like it would put a damper on "wheelies", but how else?
your preformance will become inconsistant with fuel fluctuation and also Bow tanks take more of a beating as they are always being slammed . fuel tanks belong on the sides or in the back :) :D

atxwrangler
01-24-2007, 10:11 AM
go with saddle tanks!

Devilman
01-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Thought about switching my tank out for saddle tanks awhile back, but mainly just too much gawddam trouble. That & there would be no way to intall the fuel fillers where it would look worth a damn. Mine holds around 24 gallons, it carries it well enough for what I do with the boat.... :cool:

Wicked Performance Boats
01-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Thought about switching my tank out for saddle tanks awhile back, but mainly just too much gawddam trouble. That & there would be no way to intall the fuel fillers where it would look worth a damn. Mine holds around 24 gallons, it carries it well enough for what I do with the boat.... :cool:
Devilman, You can have custom tanks made with inside fillers for the same amount as standard saddle tanks. Plus you can leave the bow tank empty unless you're going out for a long weekend. I think if you had saddle tanks you'd like the way the boat performs way better. Budlight

Devilman
01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Devilman, You can have custom tanks made with inside fillers for the same amount as standard saddle tanks. Plus you can leave the bow tank empty unless you're going out for a long weekend. I think if you had saddle tanks you'd like the way the boat performs way better. Budlight
I've given it some thought, believe me. If I were to go that route, what would your opinion be on the fuel pump situation? Right now, there is a Holley electric Blue pump, mounted right close to the tank, taking care of fuel delivery. Wonder if it could be utilized to run out of all 3 tanks?
Dang, Budlight, you got me thinkin..... Sometimes on these rainy days thats bad. LOL
*El Prosecuter, hope I didn't take your thread off course too bad.....:cool:

Wicked Performance Boats
01-24-2007, 12:34 PM
I've given it some thought, believe me. If I were to go that route, what would your opinion be on the fuel pump situation? Right now, there is a Holley electric Blue pump, mounted right close to the tank, taking care of fuel delivery. Wonder if it could be utilized to run out of all 3 tanks?
Dang, Budlight, you got me thinkin..... Sometimes on these rainy days thats bad. LOL
Move the fuel pump back on the transom below the top of the saddle tank
level, plumb all three tanks with a control valve. But most people don't know that the recommended install on the fuel pump is as low as possible below the tanks. It helps syphon feed. The front tank will be fine. I hate winter too! Budlight

squirt'nmyload
01-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Plus you can leave the bow tank empty unless you're going out for a long weekend. Budlight
what a great idea.....i'll remember that when i end up doing saddle tanks

atxwrangler
01-24-2007, 02:25 PM
better yet,ditch the bow tank and lose the weight.does dougs boat have rear tanks,it seems so obvious!may give you more performance than the droop!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Exactly! Plus the extra weight allows you to plain out when tubing or pulling skiers;)
_Spitter

Devilman
01-24-2007, 02:46 PM
better yet,ditch the bow tank and lose the weight.does dougs boat have rear tanks,it seems so obvious!may give you more performance than the droop!
Hell I don't know. I've never even seen Doug's boat run. Everytime I've ever been around it, it's either broke down or sitting on the trailer.
Can't take the bow tank out anyway, it won't fit past the bulkhead or whatever you call it under there.....

67weimann
01-24-2007, 04:32 PM
what a great idea.....i'll remember that when i end up doing saddle tanks
And you'll probably still run out of gas:D :D
FWIW...I would go with the saddle tanks and just use the fuel pump back on the transom.

dumbandyoung
01-24-2007, 04:37 PM
i thought they were called side gunnel tanks not saddle tanks?

squirt'nmyload
01-24-2007, 08:20 PM
And you'll probably still run out of gas:D :D
LMAO......true

Jetaholic
01-24-2007, 08:47 PM
We call them saddle tanks because they're almost like saddle bags on a motorcycle.

El Prosecutor
01-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Are you kidding? I love this stuff! Thanks for adding to an enlightening thread!!

OverKill
01-24-2007, 11:39 PM
I have a 29 gallon belly tank and I must say getting on plane is not hard. Also makes a really smooth ride.

lucky
01-25-2007, 07:45 AM
i have a belly tank - holds a sixer :D

Jordy
01-25-2007, 08:27 AM
I thought it is called a gunwale, not a gunnel. ;)

Wicked Performance Boats
01-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Main Entry: gun·wale
Variant(s): also gun·nel /'g&-n&l/
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English gonne-wale, from gonne gun + 1wale; from its former use as a support for guns
: the upper edge of a ship's or boat's side
Same Same

old rigger
01-25-2007, 09:23 AM
We call them saddle tanks because they're almost like saddle bags on a motorcycle.
Really? You mount your 'saddle' tanks by attatching a strap to them and hanging them off the sides of the boat? That doesn't sound too smart.

gforceauto
01-25-2007, 09:47 AM
i went with the plastic poly. tanks and got rid of bow tank and love it. the plastic tanks "dunebuggy" are reasonably priced.
T

El Prosecutor
01-25-2007, 11:45 AM
i went with the plastic poly. tanks and got rid of bow tank and love it. the plastic tanks "dunebuggy" are reasonably priced.
T
Where are yours mounted? Got pics?

Devilman
01-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Are you kidding? I love this stuff! Thanks for adding to an enlightening thread!!
No problem, some people get perturbed if the thread strays.... Hate having to deal with that Thread Police guy..... LOL :D

gforceauto
01-25-2007, 12:42 PM
heres a pic. i only have 1 mounted in this pic. What i did was glassed in some 2x4 about 6inch long and had a local company do spray in bed liner. It is awesome just hose it out and its clean.
T

Jetaholic
01-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Really? You mount your 'saddle' tanks by attatching a strap to them and hanging them off the sides of the boat? That doesn't sound too smart.
Yes I do...the lake water keeps the fuel cooler...:D

El Prosecutor
01-25-2007, 01:38 PM
heres a pic. i only have 1 mounted in this pic. What i did was glassed in some 2x4 about 6inch long and had a local company do spray in bed liner. It is awesome just hose it out and its clean.
T
Yeah, that looks good. You really have me thinking now.:idea:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22748&d=1169757748

dumbandyoung
01-25-2007, 01:47 PM
yah it sounds stupid huh?:D

67weimann
01-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Really? You mount your 'saddle' tanks by attatching a strap to them and hanging them off the sides of the boat?
lol...is that what I'm doing wrong:D

Classic Daycruiser
01-25-2007, 08:06 PM
lol...is that what I'm doing wrong:D
No, what your doing wrong is another thread completly:D :D :D j/k
Did you register with www.acbs.org? :rolleyes:

Tahiti350
01-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Iv'e got the bow tank also, but have a set of 11 gallons aluminum saddle tanks to install this spring. Going to keep the bow tank intact for long weekends, but primarily use the saddles to shift the weight back

67weimann
01-26-2007, 10:02 PM
No, what your doing wrong is another thread completly:D :D :D j/k
Did you register with www.acbs.org? :rolleyes:
Isn't that for the guys who have nice classic and antique boats?
They told me that my old fiberglass bathtub wasn't consider a boat.

maxwedge
01-28-2007, 06:27 AM
How are you gys running three tanks running the fuel lines/switching? I had two bow tanks and removed one of them because it was damn near impossible to steer the boat at low speeds with 40 gallons of fuel sloshing around up there and there was no place to put my legs, but the extra fuel from saddle tanks would be nice sometimes.

Tahiti350
01-28-2007, 02:59 PM
My plan is to install either a manual or electric switching valve so I can select either the bow or saddle tanks. The saddles will be tied together before the valve so they drop at approximetely the same rate. Each saddle tank will have a shut off vavle right at the tank (as will the bow tank) so I can positively shut down a specific tank if needed (bad fuel, water, etc), and also so I can work on fuel lines without fuel spraying everywhere.
I'm lening toward a manual valve to reduce possible problems, especially since the bow tank will be empty most of the time. If I do use it I can switch the manula valve and run from the bow tank first, knowing that when it's empty I'm at 1/2 fuel capacity.