PDA

View Full Version : 496 HO drop in Motor

Not So Fast
01-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Original owner, 119hrs, came in my boat and has been faithfully serviced, never abused and as of today ran perfect as usual!! Motor is ready to go in your boat. Located here in Havasu. $8000 OBO. NSF

shadow
01-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Original owner, 119hrs, came in my boat and has been faithfully serviced, never abused and as of today ran perfect as usual!! Motor is ready to go in your boat. Located here in Havasu. $8000 OBO. NSF
I'd go over to Absolute and let Aaron know,they often run across someone who toasted thier 496 and need a replacement or Chris at Pretige may also run across a customer in the market.
Absolute 855-2252
Prestige 680-3344
may also drop a flyer by the other shops in town and i'll bet it will be gone within a couple of weeks if not sooner.
Nodig here on ***boat was looking a couple of weeks ago.

Not So Fast
01-24-2007, 08:05 PM
I'd go over to Absolute and let Aaron know,they often run across someone who toasted thier 496 and need a replacement or Chris at Pretige may also run across a customer in the market.
Absolute 855-2252
Prestige 680-3344
may also drop a flyer by the other shops in town and i'll bet it will be gone within a couple of weeks if not sooner.
Nodig here on ***boat was looking a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks Shadow, I'll do the flyer thing and put it in all the shops here in town. Where is Prestige ? Nodiggs buyer already found one so he told me. Thanks Again, NSF

phebus
01-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Prestige is on Acoma, lake side, new strip center on your left if you're heading to the lake. Chris is a great guy, with a nice clean shop.

Not So Fast
01-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Prestige is on Acoma, lake side, new strip center on your left if you're heading to the lake. Chris is a great guy, with a nice clean shop.
Thank you, thank you Rick! Are you still interested in this Bravo 1 26 labbed prop? Pm me if so. NSF

Beer-30
01-25-2007, 12:49 AM
Giving up on the MK-VII so soon?
Bump.

Beer-30
01-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Thank you, thank you Rick! Are you still interested in this Bravo 1 26 labbed prop? Pm me if so. NSF
I may be! Wanna trade for my brand new mufflers?

Not So Fast
01-25-2007, 04:40 AM
I may be! Wanna trade for my brand new mufflers?
The motor deal turned out to sweet to pass up Paul, nothing wrong with a 496HO though. I'm still in a wait and see about mufflers having never been even looked at by LEO. But just in case I do as i remember you have the Gibson 496 clamp ons right? Would they work on a blue motor? The prop actually belongs to my cuz (my mechanic) so I'll get the price for you. NSF (Bobby)

Beer-30
01-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Technically, they wouldn't work with a blue motor. Yes, they are the clamp-ons, but the small ones for UP TO a 496. I wouldn't bring them near a blue motor.
I really actually don't need the prop, but was simply thinking ahead. If it was one of those can't-pass-up things, I would be willing. I have a 22 and a 24. After headers, rockers, and springs, I am not sure what it is going to want.

Not So Fast
01-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Stopped by Prestige yesterday to drop off flyers and his shop is impressive. I was told a long time ago to always judge a mechanic by his shop and if Chris is as good as his shop looks then he is good. NSF

WET HULL
01-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Any luck yet? Did they give you any advice on a good avenue to take to dump the motor? Let me know. If I get anybody looking for the HO I will send them your way. Good Luck

OutCole'd
01-26-2007, 03:25 PM
bump

Not So Fast
01-26-2007, 03:30 PM
bump
Thanks Bill, I'll send you a pic by email since the GOD D--m Image galleries is still screwed up. Thanks Wethull also, hope they both sell, any calls from OSO ad?? NSF (Bobby)

Not So Fast
01-26-2007, 06:03 PM
LAFD right here,496 is better than a 350 anyday:D
Im with you titty, and with how expensive labor and parts are nowadays it would probably be cheaper. OH yeah and a little more of the HP also. NSF

WET HULL
01-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Not yet , but I am a patient person. It will sell, I am just trying to figure out the best way to advertise it. This is my first motor sale. Its a whole diff. world then a car or house.

Not So Fast
01-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Needs to go down the road. Someone please buy my motor!! NSF

Beer-30
01-27-2007, 06:36 PM
You might check with TPI, he was thinking of having one or two on hand for when people want to sell their boats, but keep their hot motors for the next boat.

convincor
01-27-2007, 07:57 PM
NSF did you get my email?
Needs to go down the road. Someone please buy my motor!! NSF

Not So Fast
01-28-2007, 07:16 AM
NSF did you get my email?
Hey Bud, how are things in Ohio? and no I did not get your email???? Is that a new boat I see? NSF

convincor
01-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Yes it is! I finally made it to the triple digit club. I sent you a name and number of someone looking for a 496.

convincor
01-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Bobby I just emailed you another number.;)

Not So Fast
01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Bobby I just emailed you another number.;)
Thanks. I did talk with the guy in Simi Valley yesterday and we'll see, he seemed serious. The other guy I called back but looky looing. Was his name Bob?? Keep selling it OK, I appreciate it and have fun at the show, should be a good one Dan. Bobby

OutCole'd
01-30-2007, 12:19 PM
:d

Not So Fast
01-31-2007, 07:05 AM
Nobody??

Not So Fast
02-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Gotta move this!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF

NORDIC EUROPE
02-08-2007, 03:29 AM
just send you PM

Not So Fast
02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Gotcha, and replied, thanks nSF

Not So Fast
02-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Sold_sold_sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nsf

OutCole'd
02-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Sold_sold_sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nsf
Congrats Bobby! Now you can buy me that beer.

Jyruiz
02-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Congrats Bobby.

Beer-30
02-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, it's about time! :)

ULTRA26 # 1
02-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Congrats Bobby. I bet you're glad that's behind you
John M

Not So Fast
02-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Bill>> Coors light ?
JY>> fix your boat;)
Paul>> shorter time than I thought!!
John>> Yes I'm glad it is over. My God there are some weird people out there, got calls from all over the US and some talked for ever and then Good bye with no callback???? Why waste the time and money, hard to figure.
Thanks, Bobby
PS-- did I mention I'm selling the boat now??
J/K but it seems like a lot of folks are selling. Sign of the times?????

Jyruiz
02-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Bill>> Coors light ?
JY>> fix your boat;)
Paul>> shorter time than I thought!!
John>> Yes I'm glad it is over. My God there are some weird people out there, got calls from all over the US and some talked for ever and then Good bye with no callback???? Why waste the time and money, hard to figure.
Thanks, Bobby
PS-- did I mention I'm selling the boat now??
J/K but it seems like a lot of folks are selling. Sign of the times?????
Tell Scott that, I have already left him the keys. No rush though, I won't be back till next month unless he calls and says it is ready. :)

Beer-30
02-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Tell Scott that, I have already left him the keys. No rush though, I won't be back till next month unless he calls and says it is ready. :)
??????? Do tell!

convincor
02-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Glad to here you sold it. I take it everything worked out with the euro dude.

Not So Fast
02-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Glad to here you sold it. I take it everything worked out with the euro dude.
Yep it did Dan, I'm glad that you were the forerunner on that kind of deal, I had my doubts. I emailed you today but the wire came thru so off it goes. Bobby

Kilrtoy
02-21-2007, 07:11 PM
So what are you dropping in....

JB in so cal
02-21-2007, 07:47 PM
So what are you dropping in....
You must be new:rolleyes:

Beer-30
02-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah, where have you been?
He already dropped in a 500EFI.

Jyruiz
02-21-2007, 08:45 PM
??????? Do tell!
Took the boat out this past Saturday and I could not go above 1600 rpms, the boat would beep for a couple of seconds. All I could do was idle back to the ramp. Guardian mode kicked in, I think it is my water impeller as it has the stock one now for 2 years. Engine oil and outdrive oil checked out fine, so I think it is the impeller, I beach my boat and sometimes go close to 4 months with out using it, so I think the impeller dried/cracked, specailly this winter when it was so cold in Havi. I will find out for sure when the mechanic checks it out.
Funny thing is, I went there this past weekend to turn my keys in to have the yearly service done, I thought I could sneak another week out of it, but it was not to be.

Beer-30
02-21-2007, 09:06 PM
I would bet impeller also.
Funny. Some change them every year. I think 2 years is about right. Book says 3 years.

phebus
02-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Took the boat out this past Saturday and I could not go above 1600 rpms, the boat would beep for a couple of seconds. All I could do was idle back to the ramp. Guardian mode kicked in, I think it is my water impeller as it has the stock one now for 2 years. Engine oil and outdrive oil checked out fine, so I think it is the impeller, I beach my boat and sometimes go close to 4 months with out using it, so I think the impeller dried/cracked, specailly this winter when it was so cold in Havi. I will find out for sure when the mechanic checks it out.
Funny thing is, I went there this past weekend to turn my keys in to have the yearly service done, I thought I could sneak another week out of it, but it was not to be.
If you want to do it yourself Juan, let me know. We'll have that new impeler in in no time.

Not So Fast
02-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I would bet impeller also.
Funny. Some change them every year. I think 2 years is about right. Book says 3 years.
I believe the book is wrong on that one Paul. I learned that breaking down is a lot more expensive and can ruin a nice day really badly. I would rather do it every year and pony up the $ than take a chance and it is a crap shoot. I have seen them look like new and also be on the verge with at least two of the opposing vanes cracked in 1 year. Also had one come apart and getting all the parts out is another story (and as we all know you have to get the pieces or it's trouble) and more expensive. Nope, I change it every year period, well, cuz does not me. ;)
The 496 has so many sensors that even the littlest change will put it in guardian mode, as cuz said they did it to make it idiot proof for their protection and also the customers.
Kilr; as said I went with a 500EFI which while not a lot faster or more HP is a better motor as you know and the power band is really different. I'm hoping I like it but to cold to really tell yet. Thanks, NSF

Jyruiz
02-22-2007, 07:53 AM
If you want to do it yourself Juan, let me know. We'll have that new impeler in in no time.
Thanks Rick, maybe next time, I do want to learn how to do it, I just don't have enough time when I am out there. I hate having the family sit around and wait for me. I will take you up on it next winter, I will take a drive out there by myself and dinner and drinks are on me.

Not So Fast
02-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks Rick, maybe next time, I do want to learn how to do it, I just don't have enough time when I am out there. I hate having the family sit around and wait for me. I will take you up on it next winter, I will take a drive out there by myself and dinner and drinks are on me.
Another reason I like the 500EFI Juan. if you do do (did i just say dodo?) it yourself then you'll see how much more difficult it is that the old stlye and God help you if you have powered off of the beach and sucked up sand into the housing and ruined it or the wear plates. Replacement cost is really a bitch for the housing. That's why I never powered off, always shoved it off by hand first, a definite drawback to the newer style impellers!!!!!! NSF PS-Scott has been sick but you are next in line I beieve.

phebus
02-22-2007, 08:23 AM
I power on and off the beach wherever I go, but I also replace my impeller every time I change my oil (at least twice a season). The impeller kit (impeller and o-rings) only costs me $38.00 here in town (I imagine I could get it for less on the internet), and I figure that it is cheap insurance, and like NSF said, a day ruined because of a bad impeller would suck. Once you get it down, it only takes approx. 1/2 hour.

Jyruiz
02-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Another reason I like the 500EFI Juan. if you do do (did i just say dodo?) it yourself then you'll see how much more difficult it is that the old stlye and God help you if you have powered off of the beach and sucked up sand into the housing and ruined it or the wear plates. Replacement cost is really a bitch for the housing. That's why I never powered off, always shoved it off by hand first, a definite drawback to the newer style impellers!!!!!! NSF PS-Scott has been sick but you are next in line I beieve.
Sorry to hear that, but tell him to get healthy first as there is no rush. I hate to work when I am sick, so I don't expect anybody else to do it either. From now on, I am going to shove it off, I don't want to ruin the housing.

Jyruiz
02-22-2007, 08:25 AM
I power on and off the beach wherever I go, but I also replace my impeller every time I change my oil (at least twice a season). The impeller kit (impeller and o-rings) only costs me $38.00 here in town (I imagine I could get it for less on the internet), and I figure that it is cheap insurance, and like NSF said, a day ruined because of a bad impeller would suck. Once you get it down, it only takes approx. 1/2 hour.
You are definitely going to have to show me how to change the impeller.:)

phebus
02-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hear that, but tell him to get healthy first as there is no rush. I hate to work when I am sick, so I don't expect anybody else to do it either. From now on, I am going to shove it off, I don't want to ruin the housing.
I boat year round, and I hate to shrink the housing around my nuts, so I just power the boat, and replace the impeller more often. And, if I score the housing, the plate can be replaced or resurfaced, for $80. max.

Not So Fast
02-22-2007, 08:32 AM
I boat year round, and I hate to shrink the housing around my nuts, so I just power the boat, and replace the impeller more often. And, if I score the housing, the plate can be replaced or resurfaced, for $80. max.
Have they figured out a way to resurface the inside plate Rick? Last I knew, once it was scored too badly then the whole housing had to be replaced and I may be wrong but I thought they were like $450 and if you can do it in 1/2 hour you are a better man than me Charlie Brown!!:D NSF

phebus
02-22-2007, 08:45 AM
If the back inside plate gets scored too badly, yes, you either have to replace the housing, or go with one of the rebuild kits from R&R that have stainless wear plates. From what I have been told, the front plate is the one that really matters, so usually resurfacing it, is enough.
As far as replacing my impeller, I have learned that by pulling the mounting bracket and the water pump is a much faster way to do it (only thee bolt/nut combo, and easy to acccess), and then doing the work on a bench. By doing it that way, you just loosen the belt, remove the three bolts, and you are off to the races. If you try to remove the water pump from the bracket in the boat, you have to be a contortionist, and the small (10mm) bolts are hard to see and access.