PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get my new laptop to hookup to my home network...

Mandelon
01-24-2007, 07:24 PM
And it isn't working :mad:
I typed in the wep encryption code about 40 times.......
It asks something about an 802.1x authentification code and then quits...
We have a Netgear wireless network in the house that works with the kitchen computer alright....
Its a Lenovo laptop with an internal wireless deal and also running T-mobile wireless card which it doesn't seem to recognize. :confused:
I love technology...:)
Any hints??

mickeyfinn
01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Start by turning off encryption and broadcast ssid. See if it works. Then go from there.

Riverless
01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
i had this problem too with two different laptops. what i did was disable security on the router, connect the laptop with no security. turn security back on the router, reconnect laptop to router, enter wep code. should work after letting it connect the first time without security. i'm not sure why it works, but it does.

Jesster
01-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Try removing the wireless card first. When was the last time it did work? Are you sure the network is WEP and not WPA? (All these settings will be in the wireless router) Wireless key is enabled? encryption method is correct? (probably pre-shared) and encryption algorythm is TKIP. But try removing the wireless card 1st.

Mandelon
01-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Showoff. :D I will try to figure that out. How do I de-activate the encryption on the wireless network??? Thanks.:idea:

BajaMike
01-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Also try turning off the Windows Firewall, it is not needed if you are behind a router.
:idea:

Jyruiz
01-24-2007, 07:53 PM
You can type the encryption code all you want, but if you don't have the right key index chosen, you will not be able to connect. Make sure you have the right key index chosen.

BadKachina
01-24-2007, 07:54 PM
I would try your firewall also. Every time the kids X Box wont work it's because the fire wall is on.

Jesster
01-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Showoff. :D I will try to figure that out. How do I de-activate the encryption on the wireless network??? Thanks.:idea:
Depends on the router if its Linksys or Actiontec to some others its 192.168.1.1 and then a password. if you have never been in it try Username none (means dont put anything there) and "admin" as the password. Then go to wireless security and turn it off.

AZJD
01-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Whan all that fails, call tech support! They will save you hours of frustration by installing the the correct firmware and getting you running! Trust me just went through this monday!

Kiddunot
01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
First of all look at your network connections, make sure you disable your lan connection, leave the wireless lan connection enabled. Secondly most laptops have the ability to turn on the wireless network controller, most laptops would be a fn + F4 or something similiar, once you get that up and running then go into router properties. disable all encryption so there is no security it should start working right away, then once you get it working you can enable your security. Windows Firewall will have nothing to do with connecting to the internet, if you were trying to access your computer remotely this is where the firewall would come into place, but as people have said you do not need a software firewall if you have a hardware (router). When all else fails google from your kitchen computer, I am sure you will find the problem there if none of us can help you. JUST DONT CALL THE GEEK SQUAD!

HBjet
01-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Is your T-mobile wireless card a broadband card?

robk
01-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Disable 802.1x auth; you're not using it if you're using an off-the-shelf wireless router.
Rob

moneypit
01-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Easy stuff.. Just de-toon the flux capcitor with an encryption j-rod # 88. Then re-set the flare-loop to its usual position contralateral to the sub-lingual horn root. Then all ya gotta do is kick the focker in the medulla oblongata and your tits on a ritz.
Peace out.

Assume The Position
01-25-2007, 03:09 AM
Just do what I did and have BEST BUY GEEK SQUAD hook it up.

shueman
01-25-2007, 04:09 AM
...Its a Lenovo laptop with an internal wireless deal and also running T-mobile wireless card which it doesn't seem to recognize. :confused: ....
Can't have two different wireless connectors. Dump the card and the internal setup should work.. :cool:
<START><CONNECT TO><WIRELESS> and refresh....

a catered life
01-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Whan all that fails, call tech support! They will save you hours of frustration by installing the the correct firmware and getting you running! Trust me just went through this monday!
yup we had the same issues with my laptop and x-box ended up calling the tech department 10 minutes later i was blasting some ass in halo online

Mandelon
01-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Easy stuff.. Just de-toon the flux capcitor with an encryption j-rod # 88. Then re-set the flare-loop to its usual position contralateral to the sub-lingual horn root. Then all ya gotta do is kick the focker in the medulla oblongata and your tits on a ritz.
Peace out.
That did it. Pure genious. :D
Thanks. I gave up last night and worked on foreplay,( begging ) with my wife instead. I will attempt it again tonight. ( The computer part ) :)