PDA

View Full Version : Bastard Lawyers - Look what they done did now. Remember the Channel Drowning?

C-2
01-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Yes, look what the bastards did this time. Sorry if this is a repost, but I donÂ’t recall reading abything about it:
12/18/06
Snell & Wilmer won a defense verdict on behalf of an Arizona town sued in Federal court alleging wrongful death. Patrick Fowler and Craig Logsdon represented Lake Havasu City in the trial before USDJ Neil V. Wake. Plaintiffs claimed that the town was responsible for the drowning of a 26-year-old on Labor Day weekend 2003 in the Bridgewater Channel portion of Lake Havasu, a narrow strip of water inside the city limits.
On busy holiday summer weekends, the Channel fills with thousands of people and hundreds of boats. DecedentÂ’s family contended carbon monoxide emitted from an idling boat caused decedentÂ’s death.
The jury returned a defense verdict after only ninety minutes of deliberation. The jurors agreed that boat engine exhaust was not the cause of death. Alcohol, heat exposure, and a head injury played a role, the jurors believed, causing decedent to pass out and drown. Jurors also concluded that the town acted responsibly in addressing air quality issues and public safety in the channel.

Huckleberry
01-24-2007, 11:41 PM
At least the jurors showed they had some brain cells amongst them. No too often you see a civil jury with common sense and brains atthe same time!

moneypit
01-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I dont know that particulars.. So what do you think he died from?

BajaMike
01-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Yes, look what the bastards did this time. Sorry if this is a repost, but I don’t recall reading abything about it:
12/18/06
Snell & Wilmer won a defense verdict on behalf of an Arizona town sued in Federal court alleging wrongful death. Patrick Fowler and Craig Logsdon represented Lake Havasu City in the trial before USDJ Neil V. Wake. Plaintiffs claimed that the town was responsible for the drowning of a 26-year-old on Labor Day weekend 2003 in the Bridgewater Channel portion of Lake Havasu, a narrow strip of water inside the city limits.
On busy holiday summer weekends, the Channel fills with thousands of people and hundreds of boats. Decedent’s family contended carbon monoxide emitted from an idling boat caused decedent’s death.
The jury returned a defense verdict after only ninety minutes of deliberation. The jurors agreed that boat engine exhaust was not the cause of death. Alcohol, heat exposure, and a head injury played a role, the jurors believed, causing decedent to pass out and drown. Jurors also concluded that the town acted responsibly in addressing air quality issues and public safety in the channel.
What's your point....sounds like the lawyers did a good job defending Lake Havasu City from this bullshit lawsuit. You think it's the city's fault when someone gets drunk, suffers from heat exposure and gets a head injury??
Maybe the family should sue the beer company and sun (wow....your think drinking mass quantities of beer and sitting in the hot dessert sun might be bad for you?) Have you heard of the concept of "taking personal respondsibility for your actions??" Oh, no, its the city's fault:idea:
Oh, no.....it's the lawyers fault!!:idea:
I must be missing something.......:confused:

C-2
01-24-2007, 11:54 PM
At least the jurors showed they had some brain cells amongst them. No too often you see a civil jury with common sense and brains atthe same time!
Got that right. Then again, there are so many armchair lawyers due to all the media coverage these days, that most panels have their own trial in the deliberation room. At least they got this one right.
Moneypit
I think it was the sunblock that really got him, but I'm just guessing. :D

moneypit
01-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Moneypit
I think it was the sunblock that really got him, but I'm just guessing. :D
Nice... I still owe you that case of beer.. I havent forgotten. Desert Storm.:D

C-2
01-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Uhh yeah. PUT THE BEER DOWN, lol;)

SHOTKALLIN
01-24-2007, 11:59 PM
You wanted the city to pay millions and shut the channel down for good? what were you in on the suit?:D

SHOTKALLIN
01-25-2007, 12:01 AM
He should have been drinkin Michelob Ultra if he couldn't hang.

SmokinLowriderSS
01-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Agreed, so rare to see a comon-sense jury verdict in something like this.

Huckleberry
01-25-2007, 03:51 AM
Agreed, so rare to see a comon-sense jury verdict in something like this.
How's the saying go??? Even a blind pig will find an acorn once in a while!

centerhill condor
01-25-2007, 05:44 AM
justice should require the plaintiff to repay the city's legal costs..that would stop most civil cases from being brought in the first place..loser pays.

Wild Horses
01-25-2007, 06:29 AM
I seen this situation unfold, the paramedics were first called in to the area because the dead mans sister had some sort of panic attack from the drugs and alcohol that she was consuming. They got her stablized and at that time they noticed the guy was missing. A quick search and they found him in the water and went to work on him and could not revive him. It was stated then he was taking some sort of drugs also with alcohol. Needless to say the sister went into a panic mode again.:(
Clint

Trailer Park Casanova
01-25-2007, 06:42 AM
justice should require the plaintiff to repay the city's legal costs..that would stop most civil cases from being brought in the first place..loser pays.
Ditto, that's the way it is in most the rest of the free world.

THOR
01-25-2007, 06:46 AM
I have worked on cases for Snell & Wilmer in the past and they are FAR from armchair lawyers. That firm handles the biggest baddest cases in the country. Remember the Ford carfire case that was billed out at over 1 billion dollars because a little girl was trapped in a burning car? Guess who headed up that case?
Snell & Wilmer dont lose; period.
They did a good job in this case too. If this keeps one more idiot off of the river, then consider it a victory for all of us.

wsuwrhr
01-25-2007, 08:07 AM
They did a good job in this case too. If this keeps one more idiot off of the river, then consider it a victory for all of us.
Yep.
I am sure most idiots will think they shouldn't get drunk/pass out/fall down/hit their head and drown. This ruling will definitely make them think twice.
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-25-2007, 08:08 AM
The only idiot that won't be back to the river will be the dead one.
Please.....
There are 1000's more just waiting to get out there this year.

ratso
01-25-2007, 08:37 AM
No No No... that will put too many of those thievin' attorneys out of business...

C-2
01-25-2007, 09:59 AM
I have worked on cases for Snell & Wilmer in the past and they are FAR from armchair lawyers. That firm handles the biggest baddest cases in the country. Remember the Ford carfire case that was billed out at over 1 billion dollars because a little girl was trapped in a burning car? Guess who headed up that case?
Snell & Wilmer dont lose; period.
My crass comments were directed to all the lawyer haters. ItÂ’s obviously a good thing. Never piss off your lawyer, your tax guy, or the guy cooking your food. :)
On the armchair lawyer comments – I also work with about 20-25 various city attorney offices defending against bullshit cases such as this. Even though they are not supposed to and it's considered misconduct, we are seeing more and more juries conducting their own analysis of cases while deliberating, and sometimes it impacts their decision. Too much media available. :)

SHOTKALLIN
01-25-2007, 10:11 AM
I seen this situation unfold, the paramedics were first called in to the area because the dead mans sister had some sort of panic attack from the drugs and alcohol that she was consuming. They got her stablized and at that time they noticed the guy was missing. A quick search and they found him in the water and went to work on him and could not revive him. It was stated then he was taking some sort of drugs also with alcohol. Needless to say the sister went into a panic mode again.:(
Clint
Thats why we teach our kids to say no to drugs. Its a choice.

Baja Big Dog
01-25-2007, 10:16 AM
What's your point....sounds like the lawyers did a good job defending Lake Havasu City from this bullshit lawsuit. You think it's the city's fault when someone gets drunk, suffers from heat exposure and gets a head injury??
Maybe the family should sue the beer company and sun (wow....your think drinking mass quantities of beer and sitting in the hot dessert sun might be bad for you?) Have you heard of the concept of "taking personal respondsibility for your actions??" Oh, no, its the city's fault:idea:
Oh, no.....it's the lawyers fault!!:idea:
Im guessing your in the legal field? Hard to find someone that will defend an lawyer. Or an IRS agent!:sqeyes: