PDA

View Full Version : Got The New Block

Jetaholic
01-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Well, not "new" new. But new to me.
My boat originally had an Olds 455...I rebuilt the long block to this, but then decided a BBC 454 would be best, so decided to go with that.
For $300 I snagged this motor. The motor I was told came out of an '88 RV with only 30,000 miles on it. The guy said it had a 'knock' to it and was gonna rebuild it, but found a brand new motor for a great price, so just swapped the motor and sold this one to me.
Well..I looked up the block assembly code, which was TO129AKU, which actually comes up as:
TO = Manufactured/assembled at the GM Tonawanda plant
129 = 1/29 date of assembly (January 29th)
AKU = 1986 LE-8 Truck/Marine block
I took the block to my machinist, who verified that the block was a virgin block (still had factory bore, factory bearings, etc etc). He hot tanked and mag'ged it and found no cracks. The block had .003' bore taper, so we had to bore it. The bearings were cherry...all he had to do was polish the crank. We replaced the stock factory freeze plugs with brass freeze plugs.
He also found scuffing on the piston skirts, which either signifies that GM didn't run proper piston to cylinder wall clearance, or the motor was ran low on oil at one time, which would explain the blueing we found on the stock pushrods.
The motor came with peanut port heads, but the heads were already pulled from the motor when I bought it, so I've never seen this motor run. I found a set of 353049 large oval port heads on eBay for $200+$100 shipping, which were checked and also in great shape. We will be installing 2.19" intake and 1.88" exhaust valves in these heads.
Here are the specs of the motor we're building out of it:
BBC 454
Stock 78-90 MkIV 2 bolt main block, casting number 14015445, manufactured January 29th, 1986
Stock crank
Stock rods
Forged TRW/Speed Pro L2465F .030 over pistons
9.5:1 compression
Melling M77G Oil Pump
10qt Hardin Marine Oil Pan
Double roller timing chain
Iskendarian 280H Mega grind custom single pattern jet boat grind cam:
280 Seat-Seat Duration
232 .050" Duration
.323" Cam Lift
.565" Valve Lift (1.7 ratio)
.050" Timing -
Intake: Open at 6* BTDC
Close at 46* ABDC
Exhaust: Open at 46* BBDC
Close at 6* ATDC
110* lobe centers
60* Ovelap
4* advance ground into the cam
EPWI Roller Rockers (800 lb rated)
Bassett Long Collector Jet Boat Headers
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap Intake Manifold
Holley R-80537 750cfm Marine Double Pump Carburetor
MSD Marine Pro-Billet Distributor
MSD 6M-2 Marine Ignition Pulse Amplifier
MSD Soft Touch Marine Rev Limiter
MSD Blaster 2 High Vibration coil
MES Marine 1-wire alternator
I think that about covers it. Tomorrow we will be washing the block down, then painting it up. I haven't decided what color to go with yet...I'm debating on GM Blue or Ford Blue, and the reason for Ford Blue is I think it's closer to the blue trim on my boat that it will have.

fc-pilot
01-25-2007, 03:55 PM
That thing should be a great engine that should last for years to come. That is much like and engine we had in one of our v-drives that ran great for us for over ten years.
Paul