PDA

View Full Version : getting over the fear of speed without trying

cyclone
01-25-2007, 08:58 PM
So i'm talking to my friend Lee the other day and he's laughing at me. I've known him for years and he's been around through all the different boats I've owned. He was laughing at me because he called me about 5 minutes after i'd yanked the engine out of my boat.
He asked why and I said "we'll i'm going to change the oil and do this and that and change this and it ran 9.0's last time and i want to get down to an 8.50 in good weather..."
He then proceeded to remind me that a few years ago I just wanted to go 70 mph in my dad's old 18 Foot Rogers Cyclone. So I rebuilt the 455 olds and went 69.9 mph. That boat is gone but i'm still rockin' the handle here on HB. I had hit the performance wall with that boat so it was sold so i could find a faster v-bottom.
Next, I wanted to go 100 mph in my 19-foot Rogers Bonneville with a phat stereo system onboard. The stereo never made it into the boat even though i threw 2-gauge power cable in the gunnels for the amplifiers (right jordan?). I ended up running 116 mph in that boat and as unstable as the ride was at that speed, I still wanted more. Some guys smarter than I am convinced me that more speed in that v-bottom would have been disasterous so that meant the end of my days driving the Bonneville.
So I buy this 19-foot Ultra Shadow with the idea that going 120 mph and running the quarter mph in under 9 seconds would be fun. Lee was around when I went flying past 125 mph in this boat. It was then when he asked me if 125 mph was enough? I told him as soon as the boat was scary fast that it would be enough. This boat could go faster given a healthy shot of nitrous.
The problem or mental disability on my part is that as I go faster or quicker, the boat is scary the first time I mash the gas and then the fear goes away. It makes me wonder how fast i'll really want to go before I wuss out.
The wife accuses me of wanting to go 140 mph in my boat but that would require a capsule at the races. I've sat in a capsule before and the experience left me thinking that the lack of wind in my face would take the fun away from going that fast.
I tell the wife I'd never want to go 140 mph. 130 mph would be fine. Lee just laughs at me when i make statements like that.
Anyone else got this problem?

victorfb
01-25-2007, 09:05 PM
now if i was a graphics designer i would create a nice little cartoon character of a guy pushing a big ars envelope around. well you get the picture. i hope.
140 mph forces the need of a capsulated hull. 130 mph forces the need of a crazy ars drag boat driver/racer.
Rock on man. :D

77charger
01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
I only wanted to run 10.0s in the 1/4 the first time in the flat it went 9.50s betwen 107-109 at that time my wife was fine as i didnt plan on going any quicker or faster.If i said i wanted a to drive a 8.50 boat she would have said no way i remember saying the motor was going to be freshed up and ready to go 9.0s which it did.
Little did i know 3 years later i would be in another flat going 7.80s and 139 and i had no probs with that as she didnt either.Were a couple scary moments though
I guess i aint the only one that when the countdown starts you forget about everything and only focus at the finish.At times i wondered why i do this but it was all worth it but that was it for open boats if i were to do it again it would be a capsuled boat.

MikeF
01-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Where's Eddie Hill (http://www.nhra.com/50th/top50/E_Hill14.html) when you need a comment?:D

andy01
01-25-2007, 09:30 PM
The fastest I've driven a boat is 152 mph. And at the time it seemed fast, but not crazy. If I could do it agian I wouldn't mind going faster. But it was a blast and felt very safe. That is the problem, the first time you do it you know your hauling ass. And you know what can/will happen if things go bad. After a couple of runs "nothing is going to go bad". The problem in doing it in these kind of speeds (something over 100) is when it goes bad....... it's over with. If your boat gets out of shape and throws you in the drink at 125, that's your last run. We forget about that as we go faster and faster with out any mishapps. Best of luck on your journey, you have a bad ass set up Mike......... don't under estimate what it can do to a fun day at the river.
Andy

Jetboatguru
01-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Mike, I don't think there is a fear factor when you are behind the wheel. It's when you are in the passenger seat that you pucker up.

cyclone
01-25-2007, 09:56 PM
i'm a really bad passenger.

cyclone
01-25-2007, 09:59 PM
The fastest I've driven a boat is 152 mph. And at the time it seemed fast, but not crazy. If I could do it agian I wouldn't mind going faster. But it was a blast and felt very safe. That is the problem, the first time you do it you know your hauling ass. And you know what can/will happen if things go bad. After a couple of runs "nothing is going to go bad". The problem in doing it in these kind of speeds (something over 100) is when it goes bad....... it's over with. If your boat gets out of shape and throws you in the drink at 125, that's your last run. We forget about that as we go faster and faster with out any mishapps. Best of luck on your journey, you have a bad ass set up Mike......... don't under estimate what it can do to a fun day at the river.
Andy
Thanks Andy. Jim Wilkes took me for a ride in a Daytona at that speed and I never want to do that as a passenger again.

cyclone
01-25-2007, 10:00 PM
now if i was a graphics designer i would create a nice little cartoon character of a guy pushing a big ars envelope around. well you get the picture. i hope.
140 mph forces the need of a capsulated hull. 130 mph forces the need of a crazy ars drag boat driver/racer.
Rock on man. :D
im not crazy. i swear.:D

Cs19
01-25-2007, 10:07 PM
hey thats my slogan.

HBjet
01-26-2007, 12:34 AM
LOL.... oh I have heard it all too.
I just want to go over 90mph...
100mph would be nice... let me get a blower...
It would be nice to run 110mph. That is where I stop...
(boat runs 111mph at the river) Randy, I like the sound of 115mph. What do you think?
(Boat runs 116mph at the races) I need to get a tunnel. 120 and that is it.
(call me after a 125+ run at the river) 130 is my limit. I do not want to go any faster. Jessa would kill me...:eek:
Your too much Mike... I say leave this one alone in terms of mph and lets shave off some ET.
HBjet:D

Cs19
01-26-2007, 06:46 AM
I say leave this one alone in terms of mph and lets shave off some ET.
HBjet:D
Your crew chief called it.

STV_Keith
01-26-2007, 08:17 AM
I think most of us have that problem. We set this "goal" in our head that we [i]know]/i] is lofty, then when we achieve it, it's like "well that wasn't all that lofty now was it?! We need more!"
I haven't hit my goal with my rig yet. 120 is my target, 109 so far. When I get to 120, I guess I'll see if then I think 130 is the new target. :)
Oh, and I think we need to come up with some kind of a skew factor for the ballers like Andy. 19' at 125 = 36' at ??? I'm thinking at 1.5:1 ratio. So if Andy got that Skater/Spectre/MTI or whatever it was to go 187, then the pucker factor would be about the same as a 19 footer at 125. Ya think?

MAXIMUS
01-26-2007, 09:09 AM
I think the reality is, speed is irrelevant. It is how you go about the speed. Example I can go well over a hundred in my daytona and that is pretty cool. But to drive the GN at 80 in really rough water with alot of other boats is way more fun & excitement. Especially when you add turning into the mix. I believe guru would vouch for this. Fast & straight is fun. But mixing it up on a course is the shit! Plus with the drag racing you only get a short amount of time on the water vs 4, 6, or 10 laps on a 1 mile course... Someday Mike you need to give it a whirl.... probably ruin you for life!:D

dmontzsta
01-26-2007, 09:27 AM
I believe guru would vouch for this. Fast & straight is fun. But mixing it up on a course is the shit!
I bet he can. :) I asked him the question about a year ago. He said driving the K boat is alot more challenging and exciting than driving the capsuled boat in a straight line.
oh yeah, F U Big Gay Jesus, catch me if you can, beep beep! lol

IMPATIENT 1
01-26-2007, 09:46 AM
my uncle runs his blown injected 540 shovelnose to 133+ without any life jacket or shades, i tell him he's crazy, he tells me he's not scared and if he got thrown goin that fast, the jackets not gonna help:eek: before we put em up for the season, i bought the tx-19 and was making some wot passes for before and after #'s, i was humming along at 84, and he shot by me doin well over 130.we stopped and checked our gps's, mine said 84mph max, his said 138mph max:devil: i've sat next to him in it at 132 and its scares the shiat outta me:( but that's the "high" we want outta these things! if it don't scare ya alittle, why drive it?

RIP Pit Lizard Express
01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
That's the line. If it doesn't scare you a little, why drive it. A logo I used to have on an old t-shirt read..."If you ain't ever been scared...just a little, then you ain't goin' as fast as you could!"
Bigger, better, faster, more!

IMPATIENT 1
01-26-2007, 10:07 AM
And you wonder why some of us play on the skinny water....
if we had skinny water around here i'd be into it, no rivers to run within 100 miles though:mad: circle racing would be a blast!

QuickJet
01-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Speed kills...drive Ford power. Works for nascar.

FuelInMyVeins82
01-26-2007, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=Next, I wanted to go 100 mph in my 19-foot Rogers Bonneville with a phat stereo system onboard. The stereo never made it into the boat even though i threw 2-gauge power cable in the gunnels for the amplifiers (right jordan?). [/QUOTE]
Hey I'll vouch for that. The harness is still at the shop. I'm saving it for the day I build a mini truck. Happy Birthday

dmontzsta
01-26-2007, 11:17 AM
my uncle runs his blown injected 540 shovelnose to 133+ without any life jacket or shades, i tell him he's crazy, he tells me he's not scared and if he got thrown goin that fast, the jackets not gonna help:eek: before we put em up for the season, i bought the tx-19 and was making some wot passes for before and after #'s, i was humming along at 84, and he shot by me doin well over 130.we stopped and checked our gps's, mine said 84mph max, his said 138mph max:devil: i've sat next to him in it at 132 and its scares the shiat outta me:( but that's the "high" we want outta these things! if it don't scare ya alittle, why drive it?
That is a little psychotic. I dont think it is a matter of being scared, it is more of life insurance and having some chance of survival. He must be one of those crazy old guys (like my Dad) who doesnt care if he dies.

superdave013
01-26-2007, 11:37 AM
boggie 'till ya bounce. At least that's what my skydiving friends say. lol
I kept stepping up too. Then one day I just kept thinking about crashing. I could not stop thinking about it so I sold the boat. Miss it but don't regret it.

superdave013
01-26-2007, 11:40 AM
he's not crazy, he's stupid. A lifejacket will at least give him a chance.

Bense468
01-26-2007, 12:18 PM
You ever ride passenger with DJD driving?:eek: :eek: :eek:

IMPATIENT 1
01-26-2007, 12:56 PM
That is a little psychotic. I dont think it is a matter of being scared, it is more of life insurance and having some chance of survival. He must be one of those crazy old guys (like my Dad) who doesnt care if he dies.
yep, he's 54 and he said it'd happen fast on the water, no need to suffer:rolleyes:

andy01
01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Happy Birthday Mike!!! That sentence is true about many of us. You may be the best 19' Shadow driver on the planet but I would hesitate to get in your boat, as many would with most people. A great saying I once heard and use now...... "if I am going to die in it, then I will die with my hands on the stearing wheel" Now more then ever, I pass on rides. I could have riden in a lot of boats over the years but have always passed. The fastest I have gone in boats and cars has been with me behind the wheel. I really eir on the side of caution though. I know we are all safe (because we are driving) but it has to be pretty empty for me to do runs. But things have changed to, the boats I run may only go 100 or a bit over but they take a while to settle back in the water and slow down.
I think most of us have that problem. We set this "goal" in our head that we [i]know]/i] is lofty, then when we achieve it, it's like "well that wasn't all that lofty now was it?! We need more!"
I haven't hit my goal with my rig yet. 120 is my target, 109 so far. When I get to 120, I guess I'll see if then I think 130 is the new target. :)
Oh, and I think we need to come up with some kind of a skew factor for the ballers like Andy. 19' at 125 = 36' at ??? I'm thinking at 1.5:1 ratio. So if Andy got that Skater/Spectre/MTI or whatever it was to go 187, then the pucker factor would be about the same as a 19 footer at 125. Ya think?
I thought you went 130-140 in a STV? Your boat I thought a while back? I think your speed 1.5:1 is about right. In my 30' Spectre 90-100 seemed like a cruise and Dans 368 at 140 seemed like a cruise. Don't get me wrong the water was flying by pretty quick but at 140 there was no pucker factor. And you could run there for a while and feel comfortable with your speed.
Man everytime I went to Catalina or ran my 30' in rough water over 80 we both had our jackets on. Why? Well at least if we stuffed it or got tossed in the drink we could float for a while waiting on the coast gaurd or sharks. Even Havasu we would throw them on if we were going to run from the Springs to sand bar or bridge. Long or short run 100 mph is 100 mph. Sure it may not save your life but your family can recover your body easier.
Andy

IMPATIENT 1
01-26-2007, 12:58 PM
i agree, but i can't change his mind. everytime someone lists a lifeline here in the spam his size, i try and get him to buy it, he's stubborn.

STV_Keith
01-26-2007, 01:04 PM
I thought you went 130-140 in a STV? Your boat I thought a while back?
Andy
Not me dude. 109 is my best to date...and that was just a few weeks ago. There are many other guys running into the 130's and a few in the 140's...but only one that I know of in the 150's. Pretty capable boat really - designed for Mod VP ~110mph, and now being pushed into the 150's. WAY faster than I ever want to go in my rig though.

MAXIMUS
01-26-2007, 02:27 PM
And you wonder why some of us play on the skinny water....
Damn straight junior! That would have to be the thrill of a life time! I'm sure there has been more than one passenger in the history of white water racing that has soiled his drawers...lol:)

wsuwrhr
01-26-2007, 03:11 PM
We have the same disease my friend.
I remember the first time I mashed gas on my 600 Hurricane, I thought I was going to die. The acceleration was awesome. Fast forward a few months the bike was still exciting, but with two people on board, no fun.
I remember the first time I mashed gas on my CBR900RR, I thought I was going to kill myself for sure on this bike.
I know your pain, I think we get used to the threshold and yearn for more.
Usable power is where it is at.
Brian
The problem or mental disability on my part is that as I go faster or quicker, the boat is scary the first time I mash the gas and then the fear goes away. It makes me wonder how fast i'll really want to go before I wuss out.
I tell the wife I'd never want to go 140 mph. 130 mph would be fine. Lee just laughs at me when i make statements like that.
Anyone else got this problem?

wet77
01-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah I got the bug too:D
I am on my 3rd jet boat in 7 years going faster each time, and more importantly learning more in the process:idea:
Started with a 18' Cobrajet panther/BBolds combo @ 55 mph
Then a 18' Wriedt Maverick Berkley/BB 460 Ford combo @ 70 mph
And finally a 21' Daytona Berkley/BB Dart 540 combo @ 83 mph last season
Now this winter/spring its bottom work/setback time and a blower on the 540:devil:
I can not wait to hit the water next summer!
Gas can be $10 a gallon I dont care as long as I am in the boat:D :D

IMPATIENT 1
01-26-2007, 04:06 PM
We have the same disease my friend.
I remember the first time I mashed gas on my 600 Hurricane, I thought I was going to die. The acceleration was awesome. Fast forward a few months the bike was still exciting, but with two people on board, no fun.
I remember the first time I mashed gas on my CBR900RR, I thought I was going to kill myself for sure on this bike.
I know your pain, I think we get used to the threshold and yearn for more.
Usable power is where it is at.
Brian
lol, i had a hurricane too! i sold it after i repainted, jetted carbs, vance & hines full exhaust. i was on my test drive after all the upgrades and paint, some prick pulled out in frt. of me near a local shopping center, i swerved and missed it so close(i was doin 75 on hwy)that my pants got ripped and pieces of it were in his frt. tag.he ran, i caught up and kicked in most of his driver's side of the amigo:mad: .sold it 2 days later, i had twin boys on the way, i wanted to live long enough for them to remember me. couple yrs. later i bought a 929(maybe 916?)honda super hawk with the v-twin.its was a monster on the bottom, my nuckles stayed white from the death hold i had on the grips, i reallllyy miss that feelin.:( before i sold it, i was eating huyapussas for lunch in the qtr..

IMPATIENT 1
01-26-2007, 04:16 PM
my boat lists maps the direction of addiction(last 5yrs.):
79 taylor sc 21ft bbf(@375hp before mods @450hp after) when i got it 45mph, when i sold it 64mph
78 taylor sj 18ft(@375hp before i rebuilt, @850hp after on bottle)it'd do 55 when i got it, consistent 81mph the day i sold it.
87 tx-19 condor may have had 400-450hp the day i brought it home in oct.06 and topped out at 84mph. its getting a pump overhaul(dom.), blower 475bbc(@750-800hp?) don't know what its gonna do come may, but my anticipation is a great feeling and it kills me at the same time:D

cyclone
01-26-2007, 04:39 PM
You ever ride passenger with DJD driving?:eek: :eek: :eek:
Once. wasn't that scary. i still dont like riding shotgun though.

Unchained
01-26-2007, 05:51 PM
I haven't gone as fast as a lot of them on the boards here but when I stuck my foot in John Haas's BAH "lake" boat a couple seasons ago I got a feeling of some real accelleration. The accelleration didn't taper off, it just kept on pulling hard. I ran out of balls before it ran out of hp.
At 51 I don't need anything like that. I'd have to wear a depends. :eek:
If I was 20 yrs younger maybe I'd want to go faster.
Now I just want to have something different than the other guy and be on the water every weekend.
I've done so many dangerous things work related through the years that I don't feel I can stretch it anymore.