PDA

View Full Version : So when you quit a job ...HR peeps

bigq
01-25-2007, 09:45 PM
What and when does the business need to pay your final pay? I have commisions\bonus for this past month and what about unused vacation, sick pay?
Do they need to pay the day i leave or the normal pay period?

Mrs.Racer277
01-25-2007, 09:48 PM
What and when does the business need to pay your final pay? I have commisions\bonus for this past month and what about unused vacation, sick pay?
Do they need to pay the day i leave or the normal pay period?
Normal pay period....Unless it has changed......I have not done HR in over 5 years.

bigq
01-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I just want to make sure they pay what they are obligated to pay. So do they need to pay unused sick and vacation since that is accumulated?

BrendellaJet
01-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Normal pay period....Unless it has changed......I have not done HR in over 5 years.
To the best of my knowledge(disclaimer:D ), if you quit on the spot, they have 3 days to get you your check. If you give notice it is due on the last day. If they fire you they must pay on the spot.
Any vacation accrued must be paid as well. Commissions are a bit trickier & depend on your employment agreement.
Not sure about sick time, depends on the company policy(use it or lose it or...)

Mrs.Racer277
01-25-2007, 10:00 PM
I just want to make sure they pay what they are obligated to pay. So do they need to pay unused sick and vacation since that is accumulated?
Vacation yes
As far as I know sick time no...Unless it is lumped in as Paid time off.
But like I said laws may have changed since??? (my disclaimer) :D :D

bigq
01-25-2007, 10:09 PM

photo chick
01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
To the best of my knowledge(disclaimer:D ), if you quit on the spot, they have 3 days to get you your check. If you give notice it is due on the last day. If they fire you they must pay on the spot.
Any vacation accrued must be paid as well. Commissions are a bit trickier & depend on your employment agreement.
Not sure about sick time, depends on the company policy(use it or lose it or...)
This is absolutely correct!!! Sick time is very sketchy and you'll probably never see it no matter what your agreement states. You will get vacation definitely, if they fail to pay it to you take them to the board and you'll get it plus interest! The time limits Brendella qouted are correct

DMOORE
01-25-2007, 10:40 PM
If YOU quit, your pay is due on the regular pay period. If you are fired, it is due in 24HRS.
I have to have someones check ready tomorow.:)
Darrell.

Baja Big Dog
01-25-2007, 10:44 PM
WOW welcome to one thing this fricken state is good for..its called a loss of bnifit law or something like that, it says that an employer cant take away vacation or sick pay benifits...up to 2.5 times the annual alotment.
This is trickey for some large companies that are used to dealing out of state with "use it or lose it" rules (must use vacation pay before the end of the year).
This law pisses off alot of large corps (Rockwell for example) that operate out of state.
This was all accurate a few years ago, but Ill bet they havent changed.

work2play
01-26-2007, 06:13 AM
You asked about commissions. I don't know about Cali, but in Utah if there is one cent that hasn't been collect on a sale. Then they don't have to pay you the commison. But when the sale is paid in full then they have to pay you even if it's a year later.

centerhill condor
01-26-2007, 06:26 AM
You asked about commissions. I don't know about Cali, but in Utah if there is one cent that hasn't been collect on a sale. Then they don't have to pay you the commison. But when the sale is paid in full then they have to pay you even if it's a year later.
pretty sure you can forget about bonuses. Most agreements state that bonus eligibility is contingent on being employed.