PDA

View Full Version : Mussels: What can boaters do to help??

LHC30Victory
01-27-2007, 02:22 PM
I keep reading about the quagga (?) mussels and how they can spread via trailer boats. Does anyone know how we boaters can help prevent the spread of them, etc? I noticed Charlie Cassens was quoted in the LHC paper and since he is on the boards from time to time, ?????
This may be of interest to each of us on a personal level as there is comment that they can damage the boat machinery as well as the ecosystem and infrastructure...

OutCole'd
01-27-2007, 02:24 PM
I saw on the news today, they say to wash everything with warm soapy water and a bleach solution. Boat, trailer, innertubes (water toys), everything at the ramp before taking your boat to any other lakes.

ratso
01-27-2007, 02:42 PM
I saw on the news today, they say to wash everything with warm soapy water and a bleach solution. Boat, trailer, innertubes (water toys), everything at the ramp before taking your boat to any other lakes.
That will never happen. The only thing that might stop the spread is to have your boat registered for a certain lake, and not be able to take it to another lake period...:jawdrop:
That would really suck for bass boaters that travel all over creation to bass tournaments, but who really gives a damn about them anyway?:D

YeLLowBoaT
01-27-2007, 02:46 PM
I've seen some private lakes( fishing... really just huge ponds) that make you drive your truck and trailer thru a "upside down"( for lack of a better term) car wash. its suppose to clean off every thing on the boat/trailer/truck.
Rather or not they wor is anohter story. They are basicly just some high presure fan nozzles that spray water and some chemicals to kill off every thing on it...

paradigm shift
01-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Some pretty good info here. They have not been able to stop the spread yet and the impact like everything is always debatable.
http://www.100thmeridian.org/

Mandelon
01-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Maybe the Chromium 6 will kill them off..........:D :eek: :confused: :D :sqeyes: :D

Not So Fast
01-27-2007, 05:17 PM
That will never happen. The only thing that might stop the spread is to have your boat registered for a certain lake, and not be able to take it to another lake period...:jawdrop:
That would really suck for bass boaters that travel all over creation to bass tournaments, but who really gives a damn about them anyway?:D
Thats probably how they were spread in the first place. If your boat is allowed to dry out for 5 days they say that kills them also, little bastards. NSF

phebus
01-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I just hope they don't clog my pipes. :D

Not So Fast
01-27-2007, 06:23 PM
I just hope they don't clog my pipes. :D
I think your pipes are safe Rick, plenty of anti-frezze:D NSF

Havasu1986
01-27-2007, 07:01 PM
I think your pipes are safe Rick, plenty of anti-frezze:D NSF
Anti-freeze is that the new name for beer:D

Moneypitt
01-27-2007, 07:44 PM
MWD, LA water, says they're here already, into LA's water system. Since all of our water comes from the Colorado, guess what.........They're just going with the flow...........MP