PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying my first hand gun.. need advise

Hotcobra270
01-28-2007, 08:04 AM
So I want to get my first handgun. Not looking for anything over the top, just want something that is light,semiauto and dependable. What guns do you guys suggest that look into? what caliber should I go with?
Any accesories that I should really have?
thanks

Todd969
01-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Springfield Armory XD series are very nice. Glock 9mm & 40mm. Go to an indoor range and rent a couple and feel the difference for yourself. They are all different.

RitcheyRch
01-28-2007, 08:35 AM
A lot of people seem to like Glocks. I like my H&K.

MBlaster
01-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Whatever you choose I'd recommend 9mm since its dirt cheap to shoot. Spend some money on a nice rig and take a shooting class.

robk
01-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Springfield Armory XD series are very nice. Glock 9mm & 40mm. Go to an indoor range and rent a couple and feel the difference for yourself. They are all different.
Springfield XD is a great way to start out.
Rob

CBadDad
01-28-2007, 08:46 AM
I recently picked up a Smith & Wesson M/P (which stands for military/police) They are trying to get into that market and are making a chit load of them. $500, simple to use/clean, .40 cal which is a nice compromise bewtween the stopping power of a .45 without the kick. It comes with three different grips to fit your hand and the safety is ambidextrous. The mag release can be swithed for leftys too. I bet the price of ammo will go down as the popularity rises.

Troy McClure
01-28-2007, 08:49 AM
I shot a Beretta compact the other day (don't remember the Model #) It was a 9 short or 380. Compact gun and had a good feel to it. If you're looking for something smaller, you might want to take a look at it.

Kindsvater Flat
01-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Go to an indoor range where they rent guns. Spend the day shooting everything that interests you then make your choice.

CBadDad
01-28-2007, 08:51 AM
If you're looking for something smaller, you might want to take a look at it.
Smaller? This is ***boat, he needs a cannon. :)

centerhill condor
01-28-2007, 08:57 AM
hk, colt, s&w, glock, etc make some fine arms...go to a pawn shop get a beater say in 38 or 9mm and run some rounds through it...it'll take a while to develop your techniques, sight alignment, hold n squeze, etc.
Also, it depends on what you plan to do with your pistol..I carried a 45 acp for 5 years and never had to do anything with it...Some guys find themselves in all kinds of stressful situations.
The bullet you use is equally important. I recommend safety slugs 'cause they fall apart after hitting drywall etc...some of these +p rounds will stay lethal long after passing your intended target.
good luck and good shooting!

Troy McClure
01-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Smaller? This is ***boat, he needs a cannon. :)
Maybe you're right,
How 'bout this:
http://www.planetfortress.com/tf2models/previews/The%20Rock/dechrome4.jpg
Or, better yet:
http://www.magnumresearch.com/images/finish_DE_TGTS.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
01-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Visit stores, fondle a LOT of handguns, find something that fits the hand comfortably, and that you like the feel and reach of the controlls (like safety, magazine release, and slide release if you go auto-loader). Then, decide on a range of cartridges to try out. Try to rent your prefered handgun in the cartridges, to see what suits you best for recoil tolerance and trigger feel. Only then buy what you ENJOY shooting.
Then, practice with it on a regular basis, enter bullseye league competitions, check out local IDPA shoots. A firearm you are not competent with might as well be a baseball bat or paperweight.
IMO, .380 is the ABSOLUTE BOTTOM LIMIT for self-protection, .38 Special in revolvers, especially in today's world of "chemically enhanced" (drugged) perps.
I personally dislike 9mm, but it will work IMO IF loaded with lightweight expanding ammo (hollowpoints) and fired accurately. The "heavy-slow 9mm bullet" theory of the 90's got a lot of cops killed. :( Same with .38 Special
My lead at work actually took the state CCW class with a .22 rimfire, which is legal, but IMO, stupid. I told him bluntly that I hope he never has to use it to stop anyone because the 100 foot-pounds it puts off will be flatly ignored by most dangerous criminals, high as a kite or not. "Put it in the head" he said, and I reminded him of it's habit of ricocheting off of skull bone, and of Regan Secretary David Baker, posterchild for .22 rimfire in the skull.
My lead is a former marine. :confused: USMC electronics (aviation) tech.
My favorites are .40 S&W and the clasic stopper .45acp.
many consider .45 recoil to be severe, but I start to flinch under a lot of .357 revolver, all the heaviest .45 ammo I can load gives me no trouble.
My favorite anti-personell revolver round is likely .44 SPECIAL (not the Remington Magnum, that really is a hunting round and damn few people can shoot many of those accurately). I dearly LOVE Harry Callahan tho. :)
The 40's and up will get a bad dude's attention thru the thickest crack/crank haze and, if not change his mind, crash the body systems so he becomes no longer a viable threat. It takes far more than most criminals have upstairs to drive thru that kind of hydraulic shock to the body.

sleekvino
01-28-2007, 09:14 AM
frist off whats the guns purpose for the gun I.E. home defense,hunting ,range shooting,etc.......if its for home defense id say a nice shotgun if its for the range nothing like the power of a 45 but a 40 is great too, i dont like 9 mil not enough testacular fortitude just my .2c

rrrr
01-28-2007, 09:17 AM
I have a .380 semi, feel comfortable it will get it done if I have to use it. I can drop it in my front pocket if I need to. Hard to do that with a 9mm.
The most important thing to realize is that if you are in a situation where have to use a handgun, you'll only get one or two chances to shoot because your target will likely be armed too. So, no matter what gun you choose, the key is to know how to use it.
It has to be second nature to chamber a round or flip the safety off, aim accurately, and fire. It takes practice. The other thing you need to train on is the situational aspect. When do you need to use a gun? When it happens, are you mentally prepared to kill someone?
Don't neglect training. Buying the gun without it would be like owning a car and not having any idea how to drive it.

DSW
01-28-2007, 09:22 AM
3 words, Glock, Kimber, and S&W. I carry my Glock 23 as my carry weapon, and I have my 44 mag S&W model 29 if that does not stop them.. :) The kimber is a really nice weapon also IMHO.

XtrmWakeborder
01-28-2007, 09:23 AM
.45 1911 or .45 hk would be what I would look into. As said before, if it's for home defense I'd get a berreta semi auto shotgun. Very little kick and easy to shoot.

ratso
01-28-2007, 09:23 AM
I like the Desert Eagle, although mine jammed a little too often.

ratso
01-28-2007, 09:24 AM
3 words, Glock, Kimber, and S&W. I carry my Glock 23 as my carry weapon, and I have my 44 mag S&W model 29 if that does not stop them.. :) The kimber is a really nice weapon also IMHO.
I have more friends that love those Kimbers... I never fired one though.

SmokinLowriderSS
01-28-2007, 09:27 AM
frist off whats the guns purpose for the gun I.E. home defense,hunting ,range shooting,etc.......if its for home defense id say a nice shotgun if its for the range nothing like the power of a 45 but a 40 is great too, i dont like 9 mil not enough testacular fortitude just my .2c
Best "housebroom" in the world, (legally) short-barreled (18" in most places) 12-gauge loaded with a good birdshot load (High-brass Pheasant 6's). Beats a .45 hands down and not a danger to anyone on the other side of a standard sheetrock gypsumboard wall.

RitcheyRch
01-28-2007, 09:29 AM
My house protection is a Benelli M1 Super 90 loaded with some 00 buckshot.
Best "housebroom" in the world, (legally) short-barreled (18" in most places) 12-gauge loaded with a good birdshot load (High-brass Pheasant 6's). Beats a .45 hands down and not a danger to anyone on the other side of a standard sheetrock gypsumboard wall.

Big Kahunaa
01-28-2007, 09:29 AM
i have a glock 19 and i love it

Hotcobra270
01-28-2007, 09:34 AM
thanks for the tips..I'll go to the shooting range this week and check them out..

djunkie
01-28-2007, 09:38 AM
So I want to get my first handgun. Not looking for anything over the top, just want something that is light,semiauto and dependable. What guns do you guys suggest that look into? what caliber should I go with?
thanks
What do you want to use it for? Home protection/target shooting?
If its both then I'd go with something in the .40 cal. Fun to shoot, easy to handle, and the ammo won't break your bank account. 9mm are a lot of fun but lack the stopping power that a .40 does. I'm a huge fan of the Springfield XD series. HK's are nice but pricey. I've shot over 1000 rounds through my XD and haven't had any issues. Its easy to clean and very simple. Glocks are good also but for my shooting style they are very uncomfortable to me.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22982&stc=1&d=1170005913

76ANTHONY
01-28-2007, 09:47 AM
my only suggestions are, take a shooting course, buy name brand and get what fits your hand, i've shot ummm a couple of handguns and i do like the .40, it WILL stop a home intruder...good luck and be safe with it....:D

mike37
01-28-2007, 10:05 AM
most people don't think much of them but I have a Ruger 45 and like it a lot
I have no trouble finding cheep ammo and have fired over 500 round with no jams

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:09 AM
most people don't think much of them but I have a Ruger 45 and like it a lot
I have no trouble finding cheep ammo and have fired over 500 round with no jams
45's are awesome. But, to some people they may be more gun then they want/need. Not knowing the guys shooting experience or his size he may not like the extra kick. Plus if his wife wants to shoot it she may not like it either.

mike37
01-28-2007, 10:13 AM
45's are awesome. But, to some people they may be more gun then they want/need. Not knowing the guys shooting experience or his size he may not like the extra kick. Plus if his wife wants to shoot it she may not like it either.
ruger makes a 9mm in the same model
I know what your saying a 45 can be intimidating

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:15 AM
ruger makes a 9mm in the same model
I know what your saying a 45 can be intimidating
Rugers are definately nice pieces. I was in the air between a Ruger .40 cal and the Springfield. I was sold on the Springfield once I found out how easy it was to take apart and clean. Both shot nice to me so it was a hard decision.

4day!!
01-28-2007, 10:16 AM
What do you want to use it for? Home protection/target shooting?
If its both then I'd go with something in the .40 cal. Fun to shoot, easy to handle, and the ammo won't break your bank account. 9mm are a lot of fun but lack the stopping power that a .40 does. I'm a huge fan of the Springfield XD series. HK's are nice but pricey. I've shot over 1000 rounds through my XD and haven't had any issues. Its easy to clean and very simple. Glocks are good also but for my shooting style they are very uncomfortable to me.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22982&stc=1&d=1170005913
I was looking at that same gun a last week. How do you like the safety system on it. It doesn't seem like much of a safety. Am i missing something?

shockwaveharry
01-28-2007, 10:19 AM
The last gun I shot was a .22 more than 20 years ago. Today we're going to the range to fire a S&W .500 handgun.
http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW500/MVC-001F.jpg
2600 ft/lbs of muzzle energy... I'm a bit apprehensive... I'm expecting personal injury to my hand, wrist or arm...
I'd recommend that gun! :)

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:21 AM
I was looking at that same gun a last week. How do you like the safety system on it. It doesn't seem like much of a safety. Am i missing something?
Its got 2 safeties on it. This gun will not shoot unless you are holding it properly. Seems to work good to me.

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:22 AM
The last gun I shot was a .22 more than 20 years ago. Today we're going to the range to fire a S&W .500 handgun.
2600 ft/lbs of muzzle energy... I'm a bit apprehensive... I'm expecting personal injury to my hand, wrist or arm...
Take it from me. Use both hands with that.

Jrocket
01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Something along the lines like that piece of iron that Dirty Harry used to carry.Throw out a trash can lid in the back yard and pop a few rounds to get the feel of it before you go out into public.:D
Joking of course.:idea:

mike37
01-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Rugers are definately nice pieces. I was in the air between a Ruger .40 cal and the Springfield. I was sold on the Springfield once I found out how easy it was to take apart and clean. Both shot nice to me so it was a hard decision.
I wasn't able to handle the Springfield before I bought my Ruger but they look to be a great gun at a good price
the Ruger was the best fit for me in the price rang
I had to go to the 1200 to 1500 price to find one better

mike37
01-28-2007, 10:26 AM
thats bad ass gun bet it kicks less than you think with a long barrel like that

Trailer Park Casanova
01-28-2007, 10:26 AM
It was sold to me with the idea if you drop it, the trigger safety is supposed to be the best bet for it to not discharge.
Some of my Colts you don't are want to drop if it's in gear, chambered round.
We had Barettas in the Marines. I could't afford one so we went Glock and it's a nice piece.
Wife pax a 357 revolver.

Tequila-John
01-28-2007, 10:27 AM
My first gun was a Glock 9mm 17. Just got back from shooting this AM. Shot an AR-15 today, nice gun

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:29 AM
No it still kicks like a pissed off mule.

Riverkid
01-28-2007, 10:30 AM
They all work pretty nice. Just train with it so you know what your doing and you'll do okay.
I have a 1911 Gold Cup but this Smith is pretty nice too.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/170300_large.jpg

MR HARLEY
01-28-2007, 10:32 AM
The XD that is shown actually IMHO has on of the better safety sytems on it.
1. Visual safety at the top of the slide
2. Saftey on the back of the grip, if the weapon is not being held properly if wont fire.
3. There is a safety on the trigger itself.
4. There should also be a red dot on the back of the gun where the hammer would be to show you when the firearm is loaded.

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:32 AM
They all work pretty nice. Just train with it so you know what your doing and you'll do okay.
I have a 1911 Gold Cup but this Smith is pretty nice too.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/170300_large.jpg
Nice, but pricey.
By the way, Gold Cups are the shit. Definately on my list of "need to get" weapons.

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:33 AM
The XD that is shown actually IMHO has on of the better safety sytems on it.
1. Visual safety at the top of the slide
2. Saftey on the back of the grip, if the weapon is not being help properly if wont fire.
3. There is a safety on the trigger itself.
4. There should also be a red dot on the back of the gun where the hammer would be to show you when the firearm is loaded.
Yes it has a dot on the back that is actually connected to the firing mechansim so you can see if its ready to fire.

mike37
01-28-2007, 10:36 AM
No it still kicks like a pissed off mule.
a pissed off mule thats bad
I find that a gun that kicks like a mule sucks
haven't fired one that kicks like a pissed one

shockwaveharry
Supposedly the compensator in the barrel reduces the kick but my buddy says he's seen palm welts on a guy after just three shots. I'm expecting the worst. I'll let ya know tonight.
http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW500/MVC-006F.jpg

4day!!
Its got 2 safeties on it. This gun will not shoot unless you are holding it properly. Seems to work good to me.
Is your springfield the 4"?

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:38 AM
a pissed off mule thats bad
I find that a gun that kicks like a mule sucks
haven't fired one that kicks like a pissed one
I was gonna get one until I shot one. I'll stick with the good ole .44 mag. :D

Riverkid
01-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Supposedly the compensator in the barrel reduces the kick but my buddy says he's seen palm welts on a guy after just three shots. I'm expecting the worst. I'll let ya know tonight.
I've shot one. You'll need to definitely hold onto it, but I had no issues after 20 rounds.

Jrocket
01-28-2007, 10:39 AM
47 replys in just over 2 hours,and on a Sunday morning too top that off....you guys are gun nutz!

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:40 AM
I shot 5 rounds through one once. By the third shot I was flinching so bad that I couldn't hit shit. Its a show gun IMO.

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Is your springfield the 4"?
Yes it is.

mike37
01-28-2007, 10:42 AM
I was gonna get one until I shot one. I'll stick with the good ole .44 mag. :D
my uncle had a 44mag I shot when I was 10 I think it was a 9" barrel
I loved that gun I could hit anything with it
it kinda pissed off the adult they could not hit anything with it

djunkie
01-28-2007, 10:44 AM
47 replys in just over 2 hours,and on a Sunday morning too top that off....you guys are gun nutz!
Don't get me started. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Not So Fast
Might I suggest that if you are not a regular shooter to keep it simple, get a revolver as it will be easy to use right off. I have both types and for home/protection type the revolver is best for me and you can get as big a caliber as you want. S&W make some great ones in the "AirLite" line with crimson tracer in the handle. Good luck, NSF

mike37
guns boats truck cars unless you got some naked babe pic what els is there

Baja Big Dog
01-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Value, dependant, and usefull the 40 ruger is the gun.

Goodtime$
01-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Is no one a fan of SIG arms?

mike37
01-28-2007, 10:48 AM
don't you need to buy a special ammo for them

Riverkid
01-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Keeps me from going out back and looking at what all the freeze did to our yard. It's pretty much destroyed...

shockwaveharry
01-28-2007, 10:52 AM
I've shot one. You'll need to definitely hold onto it, but I had no issues after 20 rounds.
What's that... Like $60 worth of bullets? Did you shoot the 275 grain or 440 grain loads? The hollows are the 275's.

Riverkid
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM
What's that... Like $60 worth of bullets? Did you shoot the 275 grain or 440 grain loads? The hollows are the 275's.
The 275's. The 440 load is going to hurt, though. I have a Smith .44PC that's comp'ed and it didn't do much but keep the muzzle down a bit...

Caribbean Jet
01-28-2007, 10:57 AM
don't you need to buy a special ammo for them
I like mine and I've never purchased any special ammo.

djunkie
01-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Sigs are great guns. Just a little too expensive for me.

Not So Fast
01-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Something to think about. If the time ever did arise to where you thought you were going to have to shoot someone you will be so full of adrenalin that unless you shoot regularly you want to subscribe to the KISS method, "Keep It Simple Stupid" There are some that talk big and tough but when it comes time to shooting another human being unless you are a cold hearted MFer then your heart will be racing enough and your nerves will be running rampant so you dont need a complicated weapon to try and figure out at this very crucial time. Hence a revolver, pull back the trigger and shoot, should never fail you. JMO NSF

djunkie
01-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Something to think about. If the time ever did arise to where you thought you were going to have to shoot someone you will be so full of adrenalin that unless you shoot regularly you want to subscribe to the KISS method, "Keep It Simple Stupid" There are some that talk big and tough but when it comes time to shooting another human being unless you are a cold hearted MFer then your heart will be racing enough and your nerves will be running rampant so you dont need a complicated weapon to try and figure out at this very crucial time. Hence a revolver, pull back the trigger and shoot, should never fail you. JMO NSF
If we're gonna go that far and use it strickly for home protection then that revolver is not the best idea. A 12 guage pump is the best hands down. I'd almost gaurantee that if a home intruder heard the sound of a cartridge being chambered in a shotgun he'll be out the door pretty damm fast. From the way it sounds this guy is looking for a gun to shoot. And a semi auto is the way to go. They're too much fun.

rrrr
01-28-2007, 11:13 AM
I'd almost gaurantee that if a home intruder heard the sound of a cartridge being chambered in a shotgun he'll be out the door pretty damm fast. From the way it sounds this guy is looking for a gun to shoot. And a semi auto is the way to go. They're too much fun.
:D :D
A boat mechanic I used to use had a couple of breakins at the shop, so he got a cot and started sleeping there. One night, he heard the back window break. He waited long enough for the guy to get well into the shop, then racked a shell into the chamber.......
Fawker started yelling "Don't shoot, don't shoot!!! I have kids!!"
:devil: :D :D :D

djunkie
01-28-2007, 11:17 AM
:D :D
A boat mechanic I used to use had a couple of breakins at the shop, so he got a cot and started sleeping there. One night, he heard the back window break. He waited long enough for the guy to get well into the shop, then racked a shell into the chamber.......
Fawker started yelling "Don't shoot, don't shoot!!! I have kids!!"
:devil: :D :D :D
When I took my hunter safety course our instructor played a little trick on us. We were taking our test at the end of the class and he cycled a pump shotgun. The whole class almost fell out of their chairs. He did it to show us how intimidating just the sound of it is.

cdog
01-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Go with a 9mm. The ammo is cheap. Learn to shoot then look into a .40 or .45. A Glock 17 or Springfield Xd would b a good start. They are both excellent guns and are very affordable. I have both as well as a couple of full size 1911's in .45. My G17 was my first gun.:)

mike37
01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
I like mine and I've never purchased any special ammo.
my be a deferent gun
I know when I was looking one of the guns needed there ammo and not just a standard semi auto round

Eliminator 4 Life
01-28-2007, 11:29 AM
thanks
Well I wouldnt buy a glock unless you like guns mdae by tyco toys cause its plastic:D ..
My first gun was a sig 45 and I loved it.

djunkie
01-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Well I wouldnt buy a glock unless you like guns mdae by tyco toys cause its plastic:D ..
My first gun was a sig 45 and I loved it.
You'd be suprised at the beating one of those plastic guns will take.

Eliminator 4 Life
01-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Sigs are great it was my duty weapon and no complaints

Eliminator 4 Life
01-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Well you wanna have a shoot out TYCO or should I call you FISHER PRICE:D

djunkie
01-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Well you wanna have a shoot out TYCO or should I call you FISHER PRICE:D
Your kidding right? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!:devil: :devil:

Trailer Park Casanova
01-28-2007, 11:45 AM
They are excellent, especially if you collect.
The Glock was bout $450, they wanted almost 7 bones for the Sig,, outta this kids budget.
I think they make an excellent 7 shot 9mm don't they?
Slim, looks cool if I recall.

Forkin' Crazy
01-28-2007, 11:59 AM
I like the Desert Eagle, although mine jammed a little too often.
Interesting. I was under the impression that the Desert Eagles were very good fire arms. I shot a .50 ACP and it was bad ass. Action was very smooth!!! BTW the torque was unbelievable. If you didn't compensate, the spent cartrage would hit you in the middle of the forehead!:eek:

Forkin' Crazy
01-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Might I suggest that if you are not a regular shooter to keep it simple, get a revolver as it will be easy to use right off. I have both types and for home/protection type the revolver is best for me and you can get as big a caliber as you want. S&W make some great ones in the "AirLite" line with crimson tracer in the handle. Good luck, NSF
That is what I like about the Springfield XD. Nothing to think about. Keep one in the pipe, and when you need it, just pick it up and shoot.:)
Anyone else have the Springfield XD .45 Tactical?
BTW I have a Ruger P85 9mm that I have shot thousands of rounds through. Nice gun, although the grip is not suitable for small hands. I also plink with a Ruger .22. That helps to keep me proficient. :cool:

rrrr
01-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Poor guy wants advice and you guys are talking arsenal......:D
The most important thing about owning a gun is:
1. Knowing how to use it effectively.
2. Knowing when to use it.
The hardware is secondary.
"Knock down" power doesn't mean anything if you can't put a bullet on the target. A well placed group of shots in the right place, the bad guy is going down. This is true for the "smaller" caliber stuff too. Cops used .38s for decades and killed lots of bad guys.
Yeah, I know. The PCP crazed fiend scenario. But that guy isn't gonna break into your house.

DSW
01-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Poor guy wants advice and you guys are talking arsenal......:D
The most important thing about owning a gun is:
1. Knowing how to use it effectively.
2. Knowing when to use it.
The hardware is secondary.
"Knock down" power doesn't mean anything if you can't put a bullet on the target. A well placed group of shots in the right place, the bad guy is going down. This is true for the "smaller" caliber stuff too. Cops used .38s for decades and killed lots of bad guys.
Yeah, I know. The PCP crazed fiend scenario. But that guy isn't gonna break into your house.
You don't wait until they are inside, you shoot them outside and then drag them in...:sqeyes:

Trailer Park Casanova
01-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Love mine.
Had to run several clips through it before it ran smoothly got the stiffness of the action out.
Like the lightweight for the packpac on trips.
The safety is of personal choice,, but we like it.

cdog
01-28-2007, 12:40 PM
That is what I like about the Springfield XD. Nothing to think about. Keep one in the pipe, and when you need it, just pick it up and shoot.:)
Anyone else have the Springfield XD .45 Tactical?
BTW I have a Ruger P85 9mm that I have shot thousands of rounds through. Nice gun, although the grip is not suitable for small hands. I also plink with a Ruger .22. That helps to keep me proficient. :cool:
I bought my XD .45 last week . I put 500 rounds thru it on last sat. Awesome gun. :D

77charger
01-28-2007, 12:45 PM
I always suggest a .357 revolver for a first timer.
For one you dont have to worry about jams,or failure to feed
Doesnt fire just pull trigger again it will fire if it is loaded
you can practice with .38 special which is cheap to shoot,has very good first shot killing reputation.And those that dont think it can fire fast a smith and wesson shooter can fire off 7 rounds in under a second and hit all targets!!
Plus once you get better with it it is still a good gun to have if you decide to go to an auto makes a better camping gun IMO High cap mag guns are nice but if you can hit your target you make your ammo count
I myself prefer a 1911 auto in .45 acp but that is my main gun i practice and play with.

Not So Fast
01-28-2007, 01:21 PM
If we're gonna go that far and use it strickly for home protection then that revolver is not the best idea. A 12 guage pump is the best hands down. I'd almost gaurantee that if a home intruder heard the sound of a cartridge being chambered in a shotgun he'll be out the door pretty damm fast. From the way it sounds this guy is looking for a gun to shoot. And a semi auto is the way to go. They're too much fun.
You are entitled to your opinion absolutely, just have a different take for me as I'm not a regular shooter. When i do shoot I perfer my .357 Colt Python way better that my Barretta 9mmHP. JMO NSF

djunkie
01-28-2007, 01:24 PM
You are entitled to your opinion absolutely, just have a different take for me as I'm not a regular shooter. When i do shoot I perfer my .357 Colt Python way better that my Barretta 9mmHP. JMO NSF
I've got a .357 myself and I can shoot it better than my Springfield XD. But if you want to get down to the nitty gritty, a shotgun is better for home protection. Now, if this guy is looking for an all round gun, but mostly target shooter than the 10 shot autos are the way to go IMO.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-28-2007, 01:26 PM
I have a Sig Sauer P226 9mm....
I love it....
I would also like a 40cal or maybe a 45, but the 9mm is cheap to shoot and decent for protection....
I have a good size hand, so it fits well....
http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=90
Good luck....
CJG
:D

mike37
01-28-2007, 01:28 PM
all this gun talk is makin me want to go out and shoot
to bad its raining

djunkie
01-28-2007, 01:31 PM
all this gun talk is makin me want to go out and shoot
to bad its raining
Its giving me the urge also. I decided to finally bolt down my new safe so thats what I'm doing now. :D

mike37
01-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Its giving me the urge also. I decided to finally bolt down my new safe so thats what I'm doing now. :D
you bolting it to concrete or wood

PUMPkin
01-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Great Advise Not So Fast. I have taught the CF Classes in North CA and I try to sell the idea of Revolvers as home defense as apposed to the semi automatic pistol. I've never seen a revolver jam! the Semi A. has to have a stable platform to function Ie: don't jerk or flinch. and when it comes down to a shootout, who, (other than a competent experienced shooter that has Ice for blood) can accomplish this? Studies show that most shootings in the home in defense happen within 6 feet and the first shot always misses! djunkie is right on as a shotgun will tell the person in the hall that he or she is walking into a VERY unforgiving situation. The best defense is situational awereness! A .357 will shoot both 38's and .357's Cheap ammo for the 38's to practice then load the .357's for serious stuff.

mike37
01-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Great Advise Not So Fast. I have taught the CF Classes in North CA and I try to sell the idea of Revolvers as home defense as apposed to the semi automatic pistol. I've never seen a revolver jam! the Semi A. has to have a stable platform to function Ie: don't jerk or flinch. and when it comes down to a shootout, who, (other than a competent experienced shooter that has Ice for blood) can accomplish this? Studies show that most shootings in the home in defense happen within 6 feet and the first shot always misses! djunkie is right on as a shotgun will tell the person in the hall that he or she is walking into a VERY unforgiving situation. The best defense is situational awereness! A .357 will shoot both 38's and .357's Cheap ammo for the 38's to practice then load the .357's for serious stuff.
the sad part is that the way we have to keep our guns locked up
by the time you hear someone in your home your ****ed buy the time you get your gun unlocked and ready

djunkie
01-28-2007, 02:06 PM
you bolting it to concrete or wood
Concrete in the garage.

djunkie
01-28-2007, 02:09 PM
I agree that for home defense the revolver is the more reliable handgun, but if the thread sterter is looking for more of a target shooting fun type gun, then the autos might be for him. Of course my first hand gun was a Ruger GP100 .357. :D :D

djunkie
01-28-2007, 02:10 PM
the sad part is that the way we have to keep our guns locked up
by the time you hear someone in your home your ****ed buy the time you get your gun unlocked and ready
That all depends on your situation. We don't have any kids in our house so I keep my trusty Remington 870 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel under my bed. :D :D

mike37
01-28-2007, 02:19 PM
That all depends on your situation. We don't have any kids in our house so I keep my trusty Remington 870 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel under my bed. :D :D
my kids are getting older so I trust them to no **** with the guns
but if you don't lock it away every time you leave the house and some one breaks in and takes your gun and uses it in a crime its your fault and can be prosecuted for not securing you gun properly

djunkie
01-28-2007, 02:22 PM
but if you don't lock it away every time you leave the house and some one breaks in and takes your gun and uses it in a crime its your fault and can be prosecuted for not securing you gun properly
This is true and a risk you take. I live in a nice area and for the most part we don't have any crime issues, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. If in fact it was stolen you could just tell them you had a gun lock on it. They can't prove you did or didn't. As far as I know the law only states that is all you need. All the rest of mine are locked in a safe.

YeLLowBoaT
01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
All depends on what you want to do with it.
If your looking for home def. I recomend .40 S&W. up close its got almost the same punch as a .45acp and you can get them in a double stacked mag for increased capicty. I would recomend anything but a glock... for the average person the grib angle is best. Its one of those things you have to be trained to use correctly... not just point and shoot( which in home def you will never see your sights...your eyes always go to the target.) I would not get a ported gun, laser sights, flash light or night sights. Ported guns will actually blind you temperaly if fired in the dark. Laser sights flash lights and night sights will give you away in the dark. There have been many cases of people( both LE and home owner) where they were shot do to thier night sights glowing. Flash lights on a gun are another thing that ppl ether love or hate, for some one that is not going to do alot of training, I think they are the worst thing you can do to a gun. think about it. your pointing a loaded gun at where ever you point the light. Once again there have been cases where people have flinched and shot thier family members using those flash lights. Sig, hk, SW, CZ, springfield, Para and a couple others all work. Just don't get a "light wieght" or compact model.
A .357 mag is another great choice here get about a 4" barrel, and once again don't get a light wieght(it will be painful to shoot if you do) if you are afraid of the power of .357 mag you can still shoot .38 sp round in them.
For home def/ fun take every thing from above and I would add in a 1911 goverment model spring, kimber, colt all make great choices. I would also recomend a sig, hk, springfeild or S&W. Once again go with one feels good in your hand. .357 with a 6" barrel is also a good choice.
For more fun then home def.
I would recomend a 1911, sig, hk or S&W
What ever you do, you need to take a class.
One thing most ppl don't realize in home def, you don't go looking for the person in your home, you gather your family in a room and wait for the cops.

YeLLowBoaT
01-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Thats not true. Now if you let some one into your home and that happends, then yes you could be prosecuted. some one breaking in and stealing your gun no. Now if this happends and you don't report the theft, thats another story.
I beleave the best way to teach kids about gun safty is to teach them at a young age how to shoot and what shooting means. What I am saying is they need to be tought, guns are made for one purpose, killing.

djunkie
01-28-2007, 03:23 PM
I beleave the best way to teach kids about gun safty is to teach them at a young age how to shoot and what shooting means. What I am saying is they need to be tought, guns are made for one purpose, killing.
I wouldn't go as far as saying they are strickly for killing but in a kids case it may be enough to help keep the kids away from them till they are old enough to realize that shooting is also a sport. If you have guns in your household then you should teach your kids about them as early as you can. Take them to a hunter safety course or some sort of class. They will teach you and your kids a lot. Its still a good idea to keep them locked away from the kids till they are older though.

Not So Fast
01-28-2007, 03:29 PM
I've got a .357 myself and I can shoot it better than my Springfield XD. But if you want to get down to the nitty gritty, a shotgun is better for home protection. Now, if this guy is looking for an all round gun, but mostly target shooter than the 10 shot autos are the way to go IMO.
Gotta agree with you on the sawed-off but I thought he stated he was looking for his FIRST HANDGUN, maybe I misread it but thats why I got the impression he was not a regular shooter. NSF

eliminatedsprinter
01-28-2007, 04:53 PM
The only major brand simi auto I have ever had a problem with was a new S&W that kept hang firing. It was awful, after 2 years of them failing at attempts to correct the problem, I finally just gave up and got my money back. I currently own a springfield 1911 A1 45 and a couple of Sig Sauer 9 mms. I like them fine, but if I was buying all over again I would probably just go with glocks (in 45 cal).

WVspeedfreak
01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I have around 25 Guns...but not a single pistol. I even have my concealed weapons permit. I sold all of the pistols when the kids were little. Just paranoid of them playing with a pistol I guess. I am going to buy another one for protection here soon though. In the mean time I bought a cheap 12 ga. double barrell coach gun. Russian made Baikal. 20 inch barrells, cylinder bore. Exposed mule ear hammers. Verry intimdating looking. Around 300 bucks.

Jbb
01-28-2007, 06:56 PM
When It comes to home defense......I always say......go big!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22132&d=1168975607

mike37
01-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Thats not true. Now if you let some one into your home and that happends, then yes you could be prosecuted. some one breaking in and stealing your gun no. Now if this happends and you don't report the theft, thats another story.
I just did the test last xmas
if you don't have your gun locked you could be **** if its used in a crime and your gun is recovered as the weapon used
it better have marks from them prying the lock off
or your gun safe had better be pried open and a police report
now this will be up to the DA and you better hope you get one thats pro gun or your ****ed
and I'm with you on teaching kids the proper way to handle guns

YeLLowBoaT
01-28-2007, 07:02 PM
did you report it right away? ( as in with in 24 hours.)

Jbb
01-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Another excellent choice! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaLLj-XbQRY)

mike37
01-28-2007, 07:10 PM
did you report it right away? ( as in with in 24 hours.)
no I didn't have a gun stolen
I had to take the gun safety test to buy my last gun and its pretty specific on you keeping your guns locked up or you will be responsible for any crime committed with it

YeLLowBoaT
01-28-2007, 07:15 PM
lol HGSC video/test deal, If someone breaks into your house, and steals your gun and you report it you will be fine.
If some one you let into your house/lives with you gets ahold of it thats anohter story.

mike37
01-28-2007, 07:27 PM
lol HGSC video/test deal, If someone breaks into your house, and steals your gun and you report it you will be fine.
If some one you let into your house/lives with you gets ahold of it thats anohter story.
man you have a lot of trust in a california DA
what if you get one that is a gun hater and want to push the law
you my win if you have the money for a good lawyer
I spoke with the dealer I bought my gun from about this they stress keeping it in a safe
they had a personnel friend almost get ****ed by a so cal DA
the gun was on a shelf in his closet with a trigger lock now that is 100% legal
and it was reported stolen
but the gun was used in a robbery and some people got shot along with the bad guy
well they had the gun traced it back to him and he got charged for some harsh stuff
he had to get some sort of CSI type guy to prove the there was in fact a trigger lock on the gun and it had been forced off all on his dime

talbert450r
01-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I love my Springfield XD Sub-compact 9mm. Definatly my favorite of all my guns. Very reliable, easy carry, quick field stripping, never had a jam and im up to about 1500 rounds through the gun. Caliber is not as important as shot placement. A shot well placed with a .22 has more stopping power than a poorly placed .45 round, so make sure you get plenty of target practice in before you depend on your new handgun.
Good luck there are alot of choices.

Hotcobra270
01-28-2007, 09:03 PM
thanks for the tips guys.. I went to shootersworld here in phoenix and fired about 100 rounds of the glock 9mm.. The 9mm felt good but it did jam on me twice (one of the workers said that it was just dirty). I tried the 40mm glock and I could feel difference from the 9mm. I can tell that I need alot of practice since I wasnt accurate past 6 yards or so.. My wife came with me and she liked the 38 special since it was really easy to load versus the semiautos with the clip.. I have another problem
THE WIFE DOESNT WHAT ME TO GET A GUN!!
We actually got into a argument about it. She wants us to get only a home alarm and her compromise would be for us to get one of those taser guns!!
Yeah right! taser vs gun ? I dont think so..
So now I have to sell her on the gun...
any suggestions on that one?

scooooter7
01-28-2007, 09:03 PM
The Glock 40 is the weapon of choice for the LAPD. At least that is what I am told. If you get a 9mm and shoot it at all, you will almost immediately want to move up to a better weapon. The advice to go to the range and rent a few is the best idea out there. Better yet, get a friend to take you out and shoot a few rounds. Just not at each other :). And remember "gun control" is hitting what you aim at.

YeLLowBoaT
01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
man you have a lot of trust in a california DA
what if you get one that is a gun hater and want to push the law
you my win if you have the money for a good lawyer
I spoke with the dealer I bought my gun from about this they stress keeping it in a safe
they had a personnel friend almost get ****ed by a so cal DA
the gun was on a shelf in his closet with a trigger lock now that is 100% legal
and it was reported stolen
but the gun was used in a robbery and some people got shot along with the bad guy
well they had the gun traced it back to him and he got charged for some harsh stuff
he had to get some sort of CSI type guy to prove the there was in fact a trigger lock on the gun and it had been forced off all on his dime
I worked in a gun store for years... I never heard of a story like that. I have heard more then once that some ones kid got ahold of it. I find it very hard to beleave( more so knowing the laws) that some one who had a gun stolen that had a gun lock on it went to trial. Law does not state what is and is no legal. All it says is you have to make a resonable attempt to keep it safe.
Sounds to me like that story was BS or there was alot more too it.

4day!!
01-28-2007, 09:21 PM
thanks for the tips guys.. I went to shootersworld here in phoenix and fired about 100 rounds of the glock 9mm.. The 9mm felt good but it did jam on me twice (one of the workers said that it was just dirty). I tried the 40mm glock and I could feel difference from the 9mm. I can tell that I need alot of practice since I wasnt accurate past 6 yards or so.. My wife came with me and she liked the 38 special since it was really easy to load versus the semiautos with the clip.. I have another problem
We actually got into a argument about it. She wants us to get only a home alarm and her compromise would be for us to get one of those taser guns!!
i live by the rule "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission":D

scooooter7
01-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Do you want to stay married?? Or do you want a gun? Nuff said.

YeLLowBoaT
01-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Thats another prob with a glock... they are PITA to clean.
As far as talking the wife into it... your on your own.( ok so tell her you will take a all day class and will bring her if she wants.)
I will say this, your better off having nothing then have a taser. My veiw on Home def... take what ever you want in the front rooms. Its all insured. Come down the hall way towards the bedrooms, You will be shot. I will be on the phone calling 911, and I will warn you: "come down the hallway and you will be shot."( fallowed by the rack of the shot gun) That way every one knows what will happen( this will help you prove it was a legal shoot latter)...I will be on the phone with the 911 operator the entire time.

Phat Matt
01-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I have a Sig SP2009. I guess they don't make them anymore and have been replaced by the Sig SP2022.

cdog
01-28-2007, 10:14 PM
I've put over 5k rounds thru my G17 and it has never jammed. It has to be from the way you were holding the gun. A common problem with rookies is to limp wrist the gun. As the brass ejects your loose grip allows the gun to catch the ejecting brass.
Take your wife to Scottsdale shooting club and take a class together.
That place is classy for a gun club and she'll feel comfortable. Women see a bunch of Billy bob tactical mall ninjas and get strange vibes from gun culture people. Once she gets educated she'll feel more comfortable with a gun in the house.
Trust me. :D

shockwaveharry
01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Shot the S&W .500 today... What an experience! We were down in Laguna Nigel and I shot off about 10 rounds. I haven't pulled a trigger in 20+ years and that gun made me look like a superstar! The range was packed and shots were ringing out everywhere. I stepped into the booth and loaded the bullets, each one the size of my thumb. Feeling a little nervous at this point and not really knowing what to expect, I pull the hammer back, take aim dead center of the target and slowly squeeze the trigger. That gun was louder than any other shot in the place by a factor of three! Everyone stopped shooting and came over to see what I was firing! It wasn't just a handgun, it was a Hand Cannon!!!! What a blast! And the best part was it's accuracy. I surprised myself by being able to easily put every shot where I wanted.
We took some videos I'll put up tonight.

shockwaveharry
01-28-2007, 10:44 PM
...and her compromise would be for us to get one of those taser guns!!
Someone on here used a taser on himself the other night... Maybe we should ask him his opinion!
:)

havabeer
01-28-2007, 11:00 PM
buy a remington shotgun....put one 00buckshot round then a slug round next....same trajectory as a ar15 with a slug in a shotgun...if i could carry a shotgun on my hip i would...

MudPumper
01-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Thats another prob with a glock... they are PITA to clean.
Yellow...Just say that you don't like Glock and leave it at that. A Glock is no harder to clean than any other semi on the market. A Glock can be field stripped, cleaned and re-assembled faster than most semi autos. In alot of comparisons the Glock has less moving parts. It's no less reliable or accurate than your out of the box semi either.
There are two kinds of gun people. Those that Love Glock and those that don't. I love my Glock. I also love both my Sigs and my S&W. But just say you don't like them as apposed to saying they are hard to clean, get messed up when they get hot, arent accurate etc.

MudPumper
01-28-2007, 11:27 PM
The bottom line is this. Don't worry about brand. Don't worry about caliber. Don't worry about price. Find a gun that fits you and your shooting style. But most importantly, find a gun that you can shoot well.
Don't get caught up in all the 9mm v. .40 v .45 stuff either because when you put two in his chest and one in his head, he aint gonna know the difference.

MudPumper
01-28-2007, 11:36 PM
I would not get a ported gun, laser sights, flash light or night sights. Laser sights flash lights and night sights will give you away in the dark. There have been many cases of people( both LE and home owner) where they were shot do to thier night sights glowing.
Show me one case where night sights have gotten somebody shot. You can only see the sights when you are looking from the rear, not the front.

shockwaveharry
01-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Don't get caught up in all the 9mm v. .40 v .45 stuff...
Yah... Go straight to the .500!!!
Here's a video from today... http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k186/shockwaveharry/?action=view&current=DSCF0151.flv

MudPumper
01-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Here's a video from today... http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k186/shockwaveharry/?action=view&current=DSCF0151.flv
LOL.... Very nice.
Do you always shoot with that grip or is that just for the .500???? An auto will bite your left thumb holding it like that. :D

YeLLowBoaT
01-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Show me one case where night sights have gotten somebody shot. You can only see the sights when you are looking from the rear, not the front.
Want to bet? Try going in a pitch black room for 10-20 mins with a gun with night sights in a box... open the box and face the gun in several directions, you will be able to see a glow. when your eyes are adjust to the dark, even the smallest light will become vizable.
why don't you try google, or maybe ask a instructor.

mike37
01-29-2007, 06:08 AM
I worked in a gun store for years... I never heard of a story like that. I have heard more then once that some ones kid got ahold of it. I find it very hard to beleave( more so knowing the laws) that some one who had a gun stolen that had a gun lock on it went to trial. Law does not state what is and is no legal. All it says is you have to make a resonable attempt to keep it safe.
Sounds to me like that story was BS or there was alot more too it.
it never went to trial got dropped after he proved their was a lock on the gun
still cost him bucks to prove it and if he could not prove there was a lock it would have gone to trial and a good chance he would be in jail
look at the two border patrol agents they got the shaft for doing their job

gramps
01-29-2007, 06:35 AM
If you are thinking about a .45 here is a nice Kimber that is a great conceal carry gun....................
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/hwgramps/kimber.jpg

catman-do
01-29-2007, 03:54 PM
My first gun was a Rouger P95 9mm. For a cheap gun that was in the low 300's it shot fairly accurate. Now ive got that and the sig, then a sw 45 cal which also shoots fairly nice. I would follow the advice of going to a range and renting a few guns though in order to see what you like best. I personally like revolvers the best now, but when i first started shooting i like semi's.

ratso
01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
THE WIFE DOESNT WANT ME TO GET A GUN!!
Yeah, tell her you're not CHUCK NORRIS

BRSTQUEST
01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
thanks
Wow,,,,how fast people can get off topic,,,,
First, I would like to see one proven documented case of anyone getting shot solely based on the "glow" of night sights. The material used to make the sights glow is not bright enough to light up a room as some have suggested. If you do have sights which light up the room you may want to look into replacing them as they are throwing alot of radiation which will cause you more harm. If someone can see your sights at night it is because they are behind you and very close, that is more the reason of getting shot.
Second, CA law does not require a gun owner to secure their firearms with a lock to protect against theft. The law is designed to provide provisions for negligent storage of weapons in the home where accidential shootings occur. If someone comes into my home and steals my gun, I can not be held accountable for its use by the thief. Would I be held accountable for a car thief who steals my car then runs a red light and kills a person??? People, use some common sense and stop spreading these rumors.
Finally, find a weapon which fits your grip, budget and level of comitment. Proper gun fitment is key. If you have small hands or short fingers look at some of the single row magazine, high quality semi autos (IE Beretta, Sig, HK, Glock, Kimber, the list is long). If budget is a consideration look at some of the major makers basic guns. S&W has different levels of guns which range from very basic to very expensive. Revolvers are very good pieces of equipment and are highly effective. I will only own S&W, Colt or Ruger revolvers, but that is a personal choice. Your level of comitment to practice and training is also key. If you are going to purchase a firearm and never practice, you are better off calling Brinks and getting a wazzu alarm. If you are going to practice and train make it somewhat focused training. If you want to target shot get a .22 and shot thousands of rounds for 10's of dollars.
Good luck and watch what people tell you about fireaems

ratso
01-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Sorry to hear about the the wife not wanting a gun...when's she moving out?
LOL... Bud, there's these things called balls... don't give them up just because you got married... You are making a decision about the safety and protection of your family. Hopefully a gun is something you never have to use though. It's kind of like me and my 4 wheel drive, never should have to use it, but it's there if I do...:D
Not a gun story, but my dad used to always knock me for buying 4X4s. I had to pull him off his river bottom before, grab him a couple times when the roads were iced over... he's bought 4X4s ever since lol... Matter of fact, we just went and grabbed him a new 4X4 GMC just the other day...
Get the gun.

Big Warlock
01-29-2007, 05:04 PM
I received a 50cal. Desert Eagle handgun for X-Mas (via a gift certificate and gun reservation). Handy little thing that takes care of any handgun needs I have! I recommend it highly. :eek:

ratso
01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I received a 50cal. Desert Eagle handgun for X-Mas (via a gift certificate and gun reservation). Handy little thing that takes care of any handgun needs I have! I recommend it highly. :eek:
Those 50s are bad ass!:D

Big Warlock
01-29-2007, 05:53 PM
It is bad ass. I had always wanted one! This is brand new. Haven't fired it yet! :D

Baja Big Dog
01-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Impressive, but I think the loads were a little tame, my 500 will require the use of a metal detecter to find your fillings after shooting that monster.:jawdrop:

Flyinbowtie
01-30-2007, 04:21 PM
I will strongly "third" the advice PumpKin and NSF have given you regarding choosing a first handgun. One that fits your hand and in a caliber and barrel length you can hit the target downrange with is critical. I would also support the choice of a revolver as a first handgun, and S&W, Colt, and Ruger all make fine revolvers. I like the aftermarket grips, but that is a personal choice.
The .357/.38 is an excellent choice, weapons familiarization and learning the mechanics of shooting can be done with the .38 ammo, and the weapon can be loaded with the apporipriate magnum round if home defense or other needs arise.
Move up to a semi auto after you have the shooting mechanics down, because when you move up to the semi auto there are other drills and skills to aquire, like clearing jams, double feeds, stovepipes, etc. The cleaning procedure in a semi-auto requires more time and attention than a revolver.
I am fond of the SigSauer P226-228-229 models, and very fond of the Kimber .45's they are just a bit costly for me.
Convincing your wife to purchase a weapon is another story. If the purpose of the weapon is home defense, then trying to "get by" with a taser or other less lethal device is false economy. When you have made a decision to take action against an intruder, staking your life on a taser or whatever is a bet I don't want to make. I'd take the route of teaching her how to use the weapon so that she isn't so uncomfortable with it.
Alarms are not going to get the cops there fast enough to make the slightest difference if she is in the home when an intruder enters. It'll all be over by the time a patrolman gets there. Audible alarms make most bad guys run, but not all, and those are the ones you need to worry about.
A shotgun is far and away my personal choice for home defense, and a Remington 1100 is what I have. My wife is able to control it, and with 00 Buck in it her aim doesn't have to be perfect.

vee-driven
01-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I personally like my sig .40 its very reliable and never jams. for the pocket i like my para ordinance warthog, its a 10 shot compact .45 and is pretty accurate for a little gun. You can go wrong with a sawed off shotgun for home pertection though.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/vdrivegears.jpg

LAND_LOVER69
01-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Anyone have an opinion on the Beretta 9mm.?

vee-driven
01-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Having one or two of theses around don't hurt either for when you gotta GO BIG!
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/vdrivegears001.jpg

djunkie
01-30-2007, 04:59 PM
IMO its probably one of the best 9mm's out there. But others will probably disagree.

ratso
01-30-2007, 05:02 PM
IMO its probably one of the best 9mm's out there. But others will probably disagree.
...others...disagree...on ***boat??? LMAO...:D

BRSTQUEST
01-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Beretta makes an outstanding firearm. It, like every other weapon, has pros and cons dependant on the task at hand. Before staking my life on a USP .45 I counted on the 92F to keep me out of the mud.
Pros-- Battle tested in combat and law enforcement. Open slide design makes jams almost a non issue. Felt recoil is very little due to full size frame. Price has come way down on this gun due to huge production runs for military and law enforcement.
Cons--The 9mm round is not the most effective round available, regardless of gun maker. Semi auto requires more practice, training and maintenance. Large frame is hard to conceal under clotheing. Large frame is hard for shooters with small hands.
Beretta makes a fine weapon, but again you need to do research and find what fits your needs. Good luck.

Eliminator 4 Life
01-31-2007, 08:04 AM
I really like the sig 45 as I said above really easy to use and take apart IMO. I also bought a baretta 900S 40 cal to ankle strap which is a nice gun a lil more complicated to use compared to the sig but a very nice peice.