PDA

View Full Version : Catered Life: Willie, Dry Rub or Wet?:

Trailer Park Casanova
01-29-2007, 06:47 AM
Looking to improve my Crock pot baby backs.
I grill them for a few minutes,, then split them, then cook them for about 6 hrs in the crock pot with off-the-shelf sauce.
Somethings missing. Tender but just flavorless.
Do you have a rub, I'm wondering if that might be the way to go?
Thanks, Always appreciate your culinary tips and tales.

a catered life
01-29-2007, 11:03 AM
baby backs are a premium rib but also have a small meat surface area......using the crocket pot may be the issue:confused: the crock pot is basicaly a steamer which uses moisture to cook most meats....since the ribs have a low amount of moisture most of the water/flavor cooks out...thats why they work so well on a grill....if you dont want to bbq them all the way then use the oven...at least its dry heat.....
as far as the rub goes i prefer a combo of both...if you have some time take some seasoning salt 2 tsp, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tsp brown sugar, any beer 1/4 c, 1/8 worshester and 1/4 c teriyaki sauce...mix all the dry set aside mix the wet and massage into ribs let sit in sauce for 2 hours come back and massage dry into rib and place on low to medium grill or 325 oven cook until meat pull up on bone ends..either way you will not need and sauce they will taste great alone
good luck

91nordic29
01-29-2007, 11:24 AM
i like to soak them in the fridge in ginger ale overnight before starting:)

Trailer Park Casanova
01-29-2007, 01:39 PM
baby backs are a premium rib but also have a small meat surface area......using the crocket pot may be the issue:confused: the crock pot is basicaly a steamer which uses moisture to cook most meats....since the ribs have a low amount of moisture most of the water/flavor cooks out...thats why they work so well on a grill....if you dont want to bbq them all the way then use the oven...at least its dry heat.....
as far as the rub goes i prefer a combo of both...if you have some time take some seasoning salt 2 tsp, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tsp brown sugar, any beer 1/4 c, 1/8 worshester and 1/4 c teriyaki sauce...mix all the dry set aside mix the wet and massage into ribs let sit in sauce for 2 hours come back and massage dry into rib and place on low to medium grill or 325 oven cook until meat pull up on bone ends..either way you will not need and sauce they will taste great alone
good luck
Thanks Willie, much appreciated.
Used to use Coca Cola to break down the big beef ribs.

a catered life
01-30-2007, 09:49 AM
are you serious?:confused: i have never heard of that!!!:idea:

91nordic29
01-30-2007, 11:40 AM
are you serious?:confused: i have never heard of that!!!:idea:
yep. i learned that from the owner of the homestead in havasu. i tried it and it was awsome.:)

91nordic29
01-30-2007, 11:41 AM
and, like TPC says, coke for the beef ribs or even brisket

a catered life
01-30-2007, 12:01 PM
very instresting...:idea: looks like i need to do some experienments