PDA

View Full Version : 540 bulldog w/pro charger

convincor
01-28-2006, 08:11 PM
How many hours would this set up be good for before needing gone through? What would be the max boost to stay relieable?
Thanks

Wet Dream
01-29-2006, 07:35 AM
I'm really going out on a limb here, but I'm going to guess somewhere between 1/4 hour and 500 hours. ;) There are way too many variables, competent builder, quality parts, driving style, etc.

paradigm shift
01-29-2006, 07:53 AM
540 bulldog is a great motor in my opion. As for rebuild it is really impossible to tell. Too many variables. How much boost are you running?
Driving style has so much to do with how long a motor lives. WFO all the time will wear any motor down no matter who builds it.
Usually the valve springs are the first to start to show wear. Some of the best ways I know to check for wear is to cut the oil filters when you change oil to look for any shiny things in it. :cry: Next is to do a compression and leak down test and log results so you know when things start to change. No real way to say how many hours before you rebuild I think.

dragboat
01-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Where can I find the right information on the 540 bulldog?

MESA BALANCING
01-30-2006, 07:34 AM
I always recomend valvetrain to be freshened up at 180-220 hours for hyd roller and 60-80 hours for solid roller the lower end can go 250 hours if you've got a handle on the tune which seems to be the problem with these efi engines . Best of luck to you Sincerely Laz