PDA

View Full Version : Stereo install question

marty722
01-30-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm installing a stereo into my sami that has no stereo now but want to find out some info.... I have the diagram for the stereo. I know the color of the speraker wires and black goes to ground and yellow goes to the battery. My question is do I need to use the red ACC power lead? Can I leave that unhooked? If not what is a good place to hook that up to? I know that I will have to be careful and make sure the stereo is off. Also do I need to use a fuse? If so where is that inline to? Thanks

a catered life
01-30-2007, 09:48 AM
you would be smart to get the wire layout/diagram first....general rules and wire color has changed a lot in the past few years:confused: and what is a sami:confused:

707dog
01-30-2007, 10:03 AM
DITTO: for the wiring diagrams changing not all are the same..sure dont wanna short out any other electronics on the boat or fry the deck..my 2cents

phebus
01-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I agree, check a wiring diagram, but usually, the red goes to acc. to provide power to the radio, and the yellow goes to the battery to maintain the memory to the radio. If you just hook up the red to power, you radio won't keep the pre-set stations and sound settings.

abraman1326
01-30-2007, 10:20 AM
I have done this before where I just tied the Acc and power lead together. It'll work but you need to be sure you turn it off when not in use. Personally, I'd just hook up the acc to the ignition and have everything hooked up properly. Good luck... If you have any more questions, drop me a pm, I have some experience w/ jimmy rigging stereos...
BRA

Hustler
01-30-2007, 10:20 AM
You can run both the red and yellow to the batt. but use a fuse. you will also have to make sure you turn it off if you go this route because the key will not control the power to the radio.

a catered life
01-30-2007, 11:14 AM
I have some experience w/ jimmy rigging stereos...
BRA
CLASSIC WORDS
this is funny because i remember the first stero i installed on my first car in the 11th grade..... we had to make a hole in the fire wall....:sqeyes: we ended up damaging some other wires and lets just say:jawdrop: the head lights worked when they wanted too, the wipers worked only when you turned off the car and reinserted the fuse and my doom light stayed on ...i had to remove the light to turn if off...but i loved that car and learned a great deal on it:D

abraman1326
01-30-2007, 01:43 PM
CLASSIC WORDS
this is funny because i remember the first stero i installed on my first car in the 11th grade..... we had to make a hole in the fire wall....:sqeyes: we ended up damaging some other wires and lets just say:jawdrop: the head lights worked when they wanted too, the wipers worked only when you turned off the car and reinserted the fuse and my doom light stayed on ...i had to remove the light to turn if off...but i loved that car and learned a great deal on it:D
Now that's funny. Never had that bad an expiernece, but I'm sure I have just been lucky.
BRA

marty722
01-30-2007, 04:33 PM
you would be smart to get the wire layout/diagram first....general rules and wire color has changed a lot in the past few years:confused: and what is a sami:confused:
Thanks for the info and if you read my request is says that I have a diagram that is not the issue.... Just wanted to find out about the ACC and the fuse..
Thanks Hustler you answered my question.....I'll give it a try......
Oh by the way a Sami is a Suzuki Samurai yes I didn't spend 11G's and This thing is very Bitchen to ride around in... But I have to have sounds in it or it will drive me crazy!!!!!

707dog
01-30-2007, 05:56 PM
hell time to start a "sunk the sami thread"...jokin..

marty722
01-30-2007, 07:03 PM
rolled the sami thread ;)