PDA

View Full Version : Just called the toll road people here in OC/RIV CO

DILLIGAF
01-30-2007, 09:33 AM
to add another vehicle. Our toll charges are running between $400-$500. monthly or an average of about $100-$125 per vehicle. So I ask if they have any optional usage plans. Nope....
That sucks and they should offer up some kind of dicounted usage plans based on number of trips, etc. I guess they don't have to as there is no competition. Well, I guess you could say there is another option. To sit on the friggin' freeway :mad:
FOCKERS!

little rowe boat
01-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I am curious, were tax dollars used to construct the that road???

acatitude
01-30-2007, 09:35 AM
they have toll roads in OC now??? man ive been outa socal a long time i guess.

DILLIGAF
01-30-2007, 09:38 AM
No, I think it was privately built and then the two counties a few years ago bought it. There is another one that is still owned by the firm who made it, I think.
I use them exclusively myself as I hate friggin' traffic.
They have been around for a number of years
One runs east/west from Anaheim to Corona.
The other runs SOuthwest from the RIV CO line to S OC and also Irvine

Havasu Hangin'
01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
I rolled through there the other day and the damn toll was $9.25! Once I got in the Fastrack lanes...of course the traffic came to a standstill. :notam:

TheLurker
01-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Well look at the bright side you have to have jobs for them to go to so while the expenses suck it does bring in income.

TheLurker
01-30-2007, 09:51 AM
What sucks more is being charged even though you have not used it.
That’s happened to me a few times been too busy to go out to the river
but if you dont put a minimum amount of use on the transponder they charge a fee.
:devil:

DILLIGAF
01-30-2007, 09:51 AM
I rolled through there the other day and the damn toll was $9.25! Once I got in the Fastrack lanes...of course the traffic came to a standstill. :notam:
There is nothing worse than paying that toll and seeing the non-toll traffic zip by you at 75MPH.

dmontzsta
01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
yeah, they are nuts. The other day I used it and it was $9.25!!!
From what I have heard, they were only supposed to keep it up until they made enough money to pay for the construction of the road, then it would be free. It seems they would have made plenty by now.

Quality Time
01-30-2007, 10:15 AM
No. the 91 was private; CPTC and eventually bought-out by OCTA (now those were public funds). The OC Toll Roads were constructed with non-recourse toll revenue bonds.

Quality Time
01-30-2007, 10:18 AM
The tolls will be lifted when the bond indentures are satisfied. Approx. 30 years. This is for the OC toll roads. The 91 was and is a different entitiy with recipricoal agreements between the two agencies for toll collection.

Havasu Hangin'
01-30-2007, 10:22 AM
The tolls will be lifted when the bond indentures are satisfied. Approx. 30 years. This is for the OC toll roads. The 91 was and is a different entitiy with recipricoal agreements between the two agencies for toll collection.
Please don't use such big words....it gives me a headache. :)

Quality Time
01-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Please don't use such big words....it gives me a headache. :)
My Bad:D

dumbandyoung
01-30-2007, 10:41 AM
I just moved out of OC a few months ago. Ive been saving alot since then. I will still keep my fast track though. Even if I only use it once a month its work having.
Dilligaf that sucks man. They should offer some discount.
Question?....Are you allowed to tow in fast track? I did when Lived in OC because thats the fastest way to get to the 15. I just never was caught so I am wondering if its cool or not.

DILLIGAF
01-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Question?....Are you allowed to tow in fast track? I did when Lived in OC because thats the fastest way to get to the 15. I just never was caught so I am wondering if its cool or not.
NO...not on the 91. The other one, yes. I think the deciding thing is the entry into the lanes. If you can get on it from the RH lane then you are good to go. If you can't then you had to do something illegal to get into the toll road lanes. At least that is how I have always remembered it.

dumbandyoung
01-30-2007, 10:59 AM
NO...not on the 91. The other one, yes. I think the deciding thing is the entry into the lanes. If you can get on it from the RH lane then you are good to go. If you can't then you had to do something illegal to get into the toll road lanes. At least that is how I have always remembered it.
Well I would take the 241 to the 91. sometimes I couldnt get over fast enough so I would have to run over the cones. Boy, am I NOT going to miss leaving from Oc to go to the river. Now I just hit the 210 to the 15. Its Great!

Quality Time
01-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Tom is correct. The 91 is a HOT Lane (high occupancy toll). It's a carpool lane. Free if carpooling, pay if not. You cannot tow in carpool lanes.

Pussywhippled
01-30-2007, 11:54 AM
I pay more for fastrack and gas each month than my first house payment...

SOCALDETAIL1
01-30-2007, 01:42 PM
I use to have fastrack but all of a sudden I noticed charges on days I wasn't even in town?????????

dumbandyoung
01-30-2007, 01:48 PM
I use to have fastrack but all of a sudden I noticed charges on days I wasn't even in town?????????
Call and dispute it, hey are pretty cool about it. I remember when I accidentally went through the 241 without a pass late at night and again for the u-turn. I called them very politely, apologized and explained that I was lost and they waived the $84.:D

DILLIGAF
01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
So...I come in this AM and our Accounting person hands me a list of optional usage type plans for the express lanes :mad:
Got signed up on one that gives us $1. off each trip as long as an average of $20. per month is obtained.
Pisses me off that idiots actually get paid out there.........

mrs.rvrluvr
01-31-2007, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=dmontzsta;2365732]yeah, they are nuts. The other day I used it and it was $9.25!!!
you think that is nuts, Hubby pays something like $20 one way in his truck (5 axles) it drives him crazy but he hates the traffic even more

BoneDaddy
01-31-2007, 01:05 PM
So...I come in this AM and our Accounting person hands me a list of optional usage type plans for the express lanes :mad:
Got signed up on one that gives us $1. off each trip as long as an average of $20. per month is obtained.
Pisses me off that idiots actually get paid out there.........
This is the plan I am on as well and has been a huge benefit the months that I use the 91 toll road a lot. If you plan the time you are on the road you can also save a ton of money. Check at the price schedule on this link.
http://www.91expresslanes.com/tollschedules.asp
Avoid using it on Friday between 3 - 6 pm.
BD

Jrocket
01-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Guess thats why all of my cars still have the dealer paper plates on them!
Law breaker,yes I am.:D

Deano
01-31-2007, 02:01 PM
I tried that, didn't work too well:D
I drive that thing every day. I love how I pay all this money and the CHP spend most, if not all, of their time giving tickets to the paying customers. I rarely see them on the poor people side of the 91 :devil: :D

DILLIGAF
01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
DILLIGAF, not sure by your posts WHICH toll roads you are referring too. The 91 is the Fastrack and carpool lanes, The TollRoad is the 241, 133, 261,etc. I don't know about the 91 and discounts but The TollRoad does give discounts. Going to work and home if I remember correctly they give me back 1.25 each way. For work in the big truck we're billed for each unit that goes thru Windy Ridge, either way,and it doesn't matter where or how far we go. I think it's about 7.50 for a 5 axle unit which is less than someone pulling a boat trailer. (either 2 or 3 axle).
I got rid of my Fastrack transponder cuz they started charging just to have it (pissed me off). I just called "The TollRoad on the phone and they sent me one of their's and if I don't use it I don't get the hit.
Rio
Fastrak most of the time. At least 5 times a day at the peak hours. Sometimes many more than that. Oh well....
I don't use the toll road portion you are talking about much. Not enough for any plan.

DILLIGAF
01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
This is the plan I am on as well and has been a huge benefit the months that I use the 91 toll road a lot. If you plan the time you are on the road you can also save a ton of money. Check at the price schedule on this link.
http://www.91expresslanes.com/tollschedules.asp
Avoid using it on Friday between 3 - 6 pm.
BD
I am going to use it regardless but the others have to use it during peak times.

Quality Time
01-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Be careful. TCA pays extra for the CHP to catch you:eek: There is also a proposal to Sacramento to have numbers on paper plates for this very reason. Not sure where it is or even alive anymore.

Jrocket
01-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Be careful. TCA pays extra for the CHP to catch you:eek: There is also a proposal to Sacramento to have numbers on paper plates for this very reason. Not sure where it is or even alive anymore.
They'll never take me alive!!! No 2 bit sheriff is gonna run me outta town..

mrs.rvrluvr
01-31-2007, 05:49 PM
thanx for the laugh

DILLIGAF
01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
They may not take you alive but they can put a lien on your house to recover payment of past tolls :jawdrop:

shueman
01-31-2007, 06:00 PM
I heard somewhere that the 91 toll road may come down...gub'm't can't break even on it...:eek: :hammer2:

dumbandyoung
01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
I did that for a while till I saw someone get pulled over right after the camera lights flash. Those work great for intersections too!:D

voodoomedman
01-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Tom is correct. The 91 is a HOT Lane (high occupancy toll). It's a carpool lane. Free if carpooling, pay if not. You cannot tow in carpool lanes.
That interested me so I looked it up. The 3+ lane is free most of the time and 50% off m-f from 4-6 pm eastbound but you still have to have a stupid transponder.
8. When can I use the 3+ Carpool Lane?
Effective May 19, 2003, when you travel on the Express Lanes with 3 or more people in your vehicle, you can use the 3+ Lane and you will travel toll-free, except when traveling Eastbound, Monday through Friday between the hours of 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. During that peak time, when traveling through the 3+ Carpool Lane you will receive a 50% discount on the posted toll. This policy also applies to individuals on a motorcycle.
If you have a Standard Plan, Convenience Plan, or Express Club account, on days when you have fewer than 3 occupants in your car, please stay in one of the lanes marked “Toll Lanes” as you travel through the toll zone.
As a reminder, California State Law requires motorists traveling on the 91 Express Lanes, whether traveling alone or with others, to have a Transponder properly mounted on their vehicle, and a valid FasTrak account. This law is enforced by the California Highway Patrol and can carry fines up to $500.So please be sure your account is always in good standing and your transponder is properly mounted in your vehicle. We want your commute to be fast, safe, and reliable each time to travel the 91.