PDA

View Full Version : Any VERIZON feild workers in here...?

Riverat84
01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
im testing in bellflower on thurs. for a fiber optic tech position and was looking for ANY advice from you peeps. thanx.
Reid

Parker Dreamin
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
im testing in bellflower on thurs. for a fiber optic tech position and was looking for ANY advice from you peeps. thanx.
Reid
I had FIOS installed last week at my house and have the guys cell phone number if you want to give him a call, PM if you would like it.

Riverat84
01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
bump

25dic
01-30-2007, 03:35 PM
What does a Fiber Optic Tech pay, I do a lot of fiber work as an electrician, just wondering the going rate.

Riverat84
01-30-2007, 03:38 PM
well my buddy that works for the regular telecom phone line part says that w/ my electrical background, and my no fear for heights(oil refinery) that i could start out close to or at 20/hour but thats just rumors...i know for a fact it'll pay more than im making right now and im only 22!

Racer277
01-30-2007, 04:17 PM
IMO,
A lot of guys can install and terminate fiber.
It's harder to find ones that can diagnose and trouble shoot.
Do you know when to use a power meter, and when to use an otdr?
Have you had factory training with any of the manufacturers? (to ensure warranty validity, they all require factory training).
Everything you work with should be singlemode, so that makes your life easier (fewer tools).
Remember your safety procedures, you are working with very small pieces of glass (disposal of ends, etc).
Everything should be lasers, so don't look into the end of it...LOL.

dumbandyoung
01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Reid
my uncle would be the guy to interview you I think;)
Good luck!

Riverat84
01-30-2007, 06:04 PM
my uncle would be the guy to interview you I think;)
Good luck!
what!?!? really? he works at the bellflower branch? yeah i dont know if interveiws will be going on, but ill be just as happy if i get through the testing part...

Riverat84
01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
IMO,
Have you had factory training with any of the manufacturers? (to ensure warranty validity, they all require factory training).
Everything you work with should be singlemode, so that makes your life easier (fewer tools).
Remember your safety procedures, you are working with very small pieces of glass (disposal of ends, etc).
yeah for sure, i know about half of what youre talking about.

cdog
01-30-2007, 06:13 PM
My best friend works for verizon in Temecula. We were both telcom copper splicers back in the day. Their fiber techs top out at 28 and hour. Decent pay but you'll never be able to afford that home in the background of your business card. (joke) The test people are a bunch of laid off DMV employees. Their nobody to be overly concerned with. Your placement will depend on how well you do on your test. Good Luck.

djunkie
01-30-2007, 06:15 PM
IMO,
Uh ya, what he said. http://theinsideline.org/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif:D :D

Riverat84
01-30-2007, 11:38 PM
haha seriously! thanx guys.
Reid

dumbandyoung
02-06-2007, 10:57 PM
howd the testing go?

mbrown2
02-06-2007, 11:24 PM
looking for ANY advice from you peeps. thanx.
Reid
Learn how to spell field. :)
Sorry but just had to...good luck with the interview....info tech been berry berry good to me.:)

JetBoatRich
02-07-2007, 04:54 AM
IMO,
good advice Sean:D

Racer277
02-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Hey Rich!
I haven't worked OSP or Long Haul in a LONG time.
Do you still field terminate ends, or do you just splice on factory connections? I know that in large installations, splicing pigtails is faster.

Riverat84
02-28-2007, 10:02 PM
hey everyone i passed about 3 weeks ago...was the only one out of 30!...anyways, i went through the interview today and they said that they would probably have the union call in the next two weeks...probably becasue theyre hiring from within also...this is the Slater St. yard in huntington beach... the interview went great...i sure hope they call me...
Reid

Racer277
03-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Congrats!
Be diligent, learn all you can, be reliable.
Don't drink too much coffee (don't get the shakes):D
Welcome to a new career.

JetBoatRich
03-01-2007, 11:05 AM
hey everyone i passed about 3 weeks ago...was the only one out of 30!...anyways, i went through the interview today and they said that they would probably have the union call in the next two weeks...probably becasue theyre hiring from within also...this is the Slater St. yard in huntington beach... the interview went great...i sure hope they call me...
Reid
Congratulations!
Been down to that yard a few times, good people:D

NOTALENT
03-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Congrats bro!
If it doesnt work out let me know....My mom is way high up for MPower communications/Tele Pacific Communications..... I can get you in there. She has been looking for field techs....