PDA

View Full Version : Burnt paint

Flat Screwd
08-14-2002, 07:13 PM
O.K. fellas got the boat running no knocks a few oil leaks but got them taken care of but heres the deal, the freaken headers are burning the piant. I got a Hondo flat with a blowen BBC with a set of Basset twisties. The quick fix was some heat reflective tape, but still? Will be at CFW fri. by 3:00 .

GofastRacer
08-14-2002, 07:47 PM
I take it your'e talking about the paint on the side of the hull!, you need to make a heat shield between the headers and the side of the hull, been there done that.........

MikeF
08-14-2002, 08:07 PM
FS, I wouldn't think the headers should be that close to the hull. As a temporary fix you could try to tape a few loose layers of aluminum foil to the hull to disapate the heat some. Good luck, Mike

HM
08-14-2002, 08:42 PM
That happened to my buddies boat. The headers wer about a half inch from the gel coat and burned it. He fabbed up a piece of aluminum as a shield. Looked a bit funny, but it worked.

Rickster
08-15-2002, 07:42 AM
I fixed mine forever, took a keyhole hack saw and cut the glass away from the side...made the hull look kinda funny...but my pipes look greater than ever! (just kidd'n!)

superdave013
08-15-2002, 07:46 AM
I'm supprised to hear about the paint. I ran the same headers on a hondo t-deck with no problems. When they rusted out and got replaced with a standard set of bassetts I did notice alot more clearence in that area.

burbanite
08-15-2002, 08:39 AM
HolyMoly:
That happened to my buddies boat. The headers wer about a half inch from the gel coat and burned it. He fabbed up a piece of aluminum as a shield. Looked a bit funny, but it worked.Leave an air gap under the shield, a thick rivet washer should be enough. We go through this on a daily basis around here.

Sangster
08-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Kris, Good seeing you guys up at Camp Far West... Sure wish there was more water so we could have ran in the cove....Oh well, I'm diffinetly going to get with you on those valve covers...Maybe even a puke tank... Hope you guys had a good time. Gotta make it up for New Years... eek! eek! eek! eek! eek!

Plasticman31
08-18-2002, 06:04 PM
Sangster, we had a great time at CFW the drive was long coming from Fresno, but it was definitely worth it. I can't believe that the lake is unpoliced, that made the trip even better. I wish my buddy would of taken his Hondo a little faster, but having a new motor he didn't want to push it. You and your son have a couple of nice looking and sounding Sanger Hydro's, fast too. The lake was a little low, but it didn't stop all the racing and hot lap's everyone did all day Saturday. I thought you were kidding when you said they raced from sun up to sun down. It was awesome to see all that hardware there. I have heard some negative things from other people on this site about CFW, but everything was excellent there, maybe even a little better than Berryessa. Anyway's it was nice to meet you and definitely let me know when you have something going on there again. KT

Sangster
08-18-2002, 06:13 PM
We'll keep in touch..Kris's Hondo looked great. I'm going to have to get some of those Valve covers he makes. Look awesome..Wish we could of talked more, it gets alittle busy up there at times.. Like I said, New Years & Fathers Day are a lot bigger turn out.. Every pass we took Gps'd at 113mph so were happy, but still looking for 115mph. Good to hear you all made it home safe...