PDA

View Full Version : A real Eye opener on the American Auto Industry.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I think it'd be fair to say almost no one watches the network nitely news.
But,, ABC is doing a nightly report and documentry on the US auto industry.
So far, not the usually negative spin from ABC, but a real close up of where it's headed.
Ford and GM's chairmen say "this is their last chance, we have to be on our game or fold."
They see no future unless they pull off success soon.
Good takes by ABC:
American vehicles power/weight to MPG considerably higher than Japan they said.
Quality right up there too.
Dark takes:
The healthcare costs are a main item sinking the companies.
Ya might wanna check it out.
A real eye opener that they do care.
We're getting ready to stick our necks out (cost wise it's gonna sting the family budget) and buy American again so perhaps the series is more a BFD to us.
It's interesting with depth.

mrs.rvrluvr
01-30-2007, 01:15 PM
love our chevy, cadillac, jeep, and harley
USA all the way

spectras only
02-01-2007, 10:24 AM
I do my share to keep them afloat :D .
1996 Mustang GT conv
2004 Lincoln LS Ultimate
2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate
GM power in the boat ;) :D

cc322
02-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Yep we pull our own weight American style
2003 Superduty, b4 that 03 Expedition, b4 that,96 Bronco, b4 that,92 f150, also a 71 mustang
2006 f-150 screw
2002 Ford Escape, now the wife is looking at a new 07 Mustang. It also spills over to the other side of the family, sis has a 06 expy and a 04 f-150 screw, mom and dad have expy and a lincoln. Now then as far as my wife side they are a little on the strange side they like all gm and caddis but hey it's still American.

ddevore
02-02-2007, 09:25 PM
I'll always try to buy American companies - Got an F250 and an Excursion both Diesels, love them both... Both get good mileage and can pull damn near anything

THEPISTONHEAD
02-03-2007, 01:56 PM
USA all the way! 05 F-250 lifted, 98 Tahoe lowered, 01 American Ironhorse....with an S&S......Buy American or youll be sorry.....it litteraly is that simple.
Its a double edged sword though.....buy American cars and the big money comes to the U.S. but some of the parts and production is foreign.....OR....buy jap and the big money goes overseas but many of the cars are built here and thae labor money goes to the blue collar. You cant win. The reality is that the big money is the one that matters....unfortunatley.

ddevore
02-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I bought a factory water hose for my old 94 Chevy (from the dealer) - swear to god it said henco en china on the damn thing... Makes me wonder if there American, Mexican or from china- chevys...

KineticoH20
02-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Doing my part also, and at the pump. 06 F350,06 F250, 02 Escalade. And of course a GM 496.:D

River Rat 005
02-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Yea you can go to GM and buy made in China. For my Silverado, GM rear rotors $295 or so. Or he said I could get made in China $67. Also not all American vehicles are made in USA. You got to check where they are made. Chevy trucks are made in USA, Canada and Mexico. The HHR is Mexico. The Aveo is made in Korea. Some think if it has a Chevy, Ford or Chrysler emblem on it, it's made in America. Not always true. I think it's the Toyota Corola that has the most American made parts in of all the cars. The big 3 say it's the union benifit package that is costing them to much. But the workers in a Japanese based plant turned down the union because their package is close to the UAW. I think the reason the American big 3 are hurting for money is the BIG bonus they keep giving to the top execs. About Nov. Ford hired a new CEO. If I remember right, his salery is 2 mil with an 18 mil sign on bonus. You realize that 2mil is 40k a week pay check. I don't know if I could live on that!!!!!!

curtis73
02-11-2007, 11:52 PM
You'd be surprised where your "american" dollar goes when you buy an "american" vehicle. Nearly 40% of GM's money goes out of the country, 64% of Ford's money, and ironically, Honda and Toyota spend more of their money here. Which one means "buying american?"
Its all a big crazy mix up.
http://www.globalauto.org/global.htm

Sherpa
03-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I've gotta say I've had good luck with most* of the american vehicles I've owned.
the ford truck (E4OD) tranny sucked big time. the stock 7.3 non-turbo is still
running.
the wifes 97 astrovan has/had numerous quality issues that chevy would not
fix.......... fuel tank sender unit/pump combo died after just 3 years. an $800
part. the fuel sender is what failed. injection issues, etc.
that van just got replaced by an 07 Toyota Sienna..............
My 94 Nissan pickup (bought used) got replaced by an 07 Toyota Camry.
I'll never buy another ford pickup.
Next truck: waiting for 08+ Chevy C3500..........
--Sherpa

sangervdrive
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
My family owns 6 chevys (3 made in Ohio [cavaliers] two have over 155,000), one in canada [Blazer] and one in Detroit [69' Elc],one Covette (Bowling Green Kentucky), 1 harley (Milwaukee Wisconsin), 1 Buell (East Troy Wisconsin) and 1 496 chevy (in the boat)
PS I'm a Manufacturing Major at ISU I need job security in the US please.