PDA

View Full Version : ContractorÂ’s questions? Room additions

cdog
01-30-2007, 01:06 PM
What is the average price per sq. ft. for a room addition in OC. Basically looking to add 450 sqft 10x45 to the rear up stairs of a home creating a covered patio for down stairs. It would extend the roof, 3 closets, remodel 1 bath and extend 2 bedrooms. The out side of the home is stucco and it’s in Mission Viejo. What kinds of permit costs are involved?

havasurat27
01-30-2007, 01:22 PM
It really depends on your finishes and how much of the existing load bearing walls you will be removing.
Something like your looking at by your description I would say in the 175.00 per sq' range.

Boatcop
01-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Can't help on the costs, but have a question.
Why go with 10 feet and 45 feet. Building materials are usually in units of "4". Are you restricted to those sizes? It would just about cost the same in materials to go 12 x 48 (or 44).
I planned my addition to be 40 x 15, but the contractor told me to go 40 x 16 so he wouldn't have to cut 1 foot off the end of every run.
No great difference in over all cost.

Havasu1986
01-30-2007, 03:16 PM
He may have easement issues.:)

cdog
01-30-2007, 03:52 PM
I found a short sale home and the floor plan needs some help. If it can be bought for the right price I would plan to add on to the top floor and update the master bath as well as extend the other 2 bedrooms on that side of the home. I'm estimating how wide the upstairs is. It is possible that it's only 38-40 ft. wide. Thanks for the replies. This shit's expensive! I had no idea how much this kind of work can be done for. You can build in AZ for a lot cheaper.

YeLLowBoaT
01-30-2007, 04:11 PM
oh boy that really depends... your looking at some where around 200 sq ft to start and sky is the limit. the bath is going to add lots to the cost. All depends on what need to be done... Have any pics of the area you want to add on to?
By the sounds of it your looking at reframing part/ all of one side of the roof and maybe even having to jack the roof. Sound like you need to add the cost of having your house reroofed. theres another 10+k added on top.
with redoing the master bath I would say your looking at a starting cost of around 110-120k.

YeLLowBoaT
01-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I also wanted to add, zoning/ local code/ hoa can throw a wrench into the works at any point in time. you can also look forward to alot higher home owners INS, prop taxs and atleast 2 months of your life being hell dealing with construction.

cdog
01-30-2007, 04:19 PM
oh boy that really depends... your looking at some where around 200 sq ft to start and sky is the limit. the bath is going to add lots to the cost. All depends on what need to be done... Have any pics of the area you want to add on to?
By the sounds of it your looking at reframing part/ all of one side of the roof and maybe even having to jack the roof. Sound like you need to add the cost of having your house reroofed. theres another 10+k added on top.
with redoing the master bath I would say your looking at a starting cost of around 110-120k.
PU. Better off to burn it down.:)

YeLLowBoaT
01-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Or gc it your self and save about 30k. You can also do most of the shit work your self and save another 20k. Any time you start fooking with plumb or roof lines its bend over.
I should have asked b4 is it raised of slab? I want to add atleast anohter 15k to the price if you say slab :D

cdog
01-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Slab but the plumbing is already there. I'd be extending the top floor 10 feet to make the 2nd story larger. It would create a patio cover or over hang like you see in newer AZ homes.

YeLLowBoaT
01-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Slab but the plumbing is already there. I'd be extending the top floor 10 feet to make the 2nd story larger. It would create a patio cover or over hang like you see in newer AZ homes.
So you want to cantaleaver out the 2nd floor? I had assumed you were build over a existing 1st floor.... new price 200k. They are going to have to be reneforcing your outside walls and retruseing the roof now. which basicly meansy they are going to have to pull all the drywall, all of the plumbing and wireing inorder to do it correctly. At this point it would almost be cheaper to do a "3wall" remodel. tear every thing down except one wall( so you don't have to repay all the new construction fews) and go from there.

Boatcop
01-30-2007, 04:38 PM
I did a lot of the work on my place myself. Hired a framing crew, but did a lot myself. I did all the plumbing, tiling, ducting, insulation, painting, about 1/2 the roofing. Also had the whole house wrapped and stucco'd.
Put 640sf addition. Master bedroom, master bath, family room, fireplace.
All said and done with carpet was about $32,000. But that was in 2003, before Katrina and the Chinese glut.

SummitKarl
01-30-2007, 04:52 PM
What is the average price per sq. ft. for a room addition in OC. Basically looking to add 450 sqft 10x45 to the rear up stairs of a home creating a covered patio for down stairs. It would extend the roof, 3 closets, remodel 1 bath and extend 2 bedrooms. The out side of the home is stucco and itÂ’s in Mission Viejo. What kinds of permit costs are involved?
first thing I would do is visit the O.C. building dept, see what local restrictions you may have that may conflict with your ideas, ask if they are under IRC-2003 rules for "convention" builds, that tells you if your going to require a engineer or architect or neither...that definitely changes how much just getting a permit will cost you. next hit the phone book for "DRAFTING" service (this is where you can save some bucks) if your project conforms to conventional rules the drafter can get your permit and they are far cheaper than either engineers or architects.

plaster dave
01-30-2007, 05:04 PM
I have to agree some where between $150,000.00- $200,000.00 to do this most contractors want $200.00 sq ft to $300 sq ft in La.
So you want to cantaleaver out the 2nd floor? I had assumed you were build over a existing 1st floor.... new price 200k. They are going to have to be reneforcing your outside walls and retruseing the roof now. which basicly meansy they are going to have to pull all the drywall, all of the plumbing and wireing inorder to do it correctly. At this point it would almost be cheaper to do a "3wall" remodel. tear every thing down except one wall( so you don't have to repay all the new construction fews) and go from there.

dumbandyoung
01-30-2007, 05:36 PM
I found a short sale home and the floor plan needs some help. If it can be bought for the right price I would plan to add on to the top floor and update the master bath as well as extend the other 2 bedrooms on that side of the home. I'm estimating how wide the upstairs is. It is possible that it's only 38-40 ft. wide. Thanks for the replies. This shit's expensive! I had no idea how much this kind of work can be done for. You can build in AZ for a lot cheaper.
Have you written an offer on it yet?
Has anybody told you whats involved in a short sale?

mike37
01-30-2007, 05:50 PM
It really depends on your finishes and how much of the existing load bearing walls you will be removing.
Something like your looking at by your description I would say in the 175.00 per sq' range.
I think that is an OK ball park number
it very hard for any one to say from just a basic I want to add 450' to my house
just not that simple

Mandelon
01-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Second story will require an architect to at least sign off on it, and likely an engineer, energy calcs, title 24, all kinds of retarded shit they've come up with in the past couple of years. Heck even decibel testing inside....its a pain in the ass to get a room addition permit.
Anything that size and you will pay school fees, and be reassessed to include the new square footage. I'd figure $200 a sq ft, and be happy if you can get it done for that. Or cut out the GC and maybe save a few bucks, but have a lot of problems coordinating work timing and subtrades, and have it take longer, and do things over. :idea:
You have to get someone good, there's lots of kooks in this biz.....

cdog
01-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Sounds like too much BS. They can keep their 1971 POS. I wouldnÂ’t be adding any rooms. Just making them larger.

maxwedge
01-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Holy shit! We'd maybe get 70-100bucks/sf for that here in IL. Looks like I'm in the wrong state again.

mike37
01-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Holy shit! We'd maybe get 70-100bucks/sf for that here in IL. Looks like I'm in the wrong state again.
but you are probably still at the same profit margin
shit just cost more here

YeLLowBoaT
01-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I don't think you could even buy the material here for that.
I agree the profit margin is most likly the same...

tcook33
01-30-2007, 07:47 PM
I agree the profit margin is most likly the same...
25% of 100 is a lot more than 25% of 50. The difference is cost of living and insurance. Better off staying where you are (MaxWedge).

Edmond
01-31-2007, 12:07 AM
FWIW... I am in the process of adding on to the rear of my home (single story) I had two quotes of approx. 180-200sqft. (740ft addition) I am going a different route and expect to come in at just about 100sqft, but that is going with a lot of friends and doing some work myself.

Schiada76
01-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Second story = engineer for sure. City won't even look at it otherwise. Minimum of $200.00SF if you hire a GC and bathrooms up from there. Don't even consider the "soft" first story under the addition the steel, grade beams and pads alone will be more expensive than conventional framingm and foundation plus your wasting the biggest cost savings of a second story. One foundation one roof double the footage.

plaster dave
01-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Well my workers comp is $ 38.50 for every hundred. Plus insurance, gas, and labor no one that works for me that is a journeymen makes less than $ 20.00 an hour. Just some info for you.

wright27
01-31-2007, 10:43 AM
If you found a good general that does not mark up every price of every sub he uses you could do it for around 100 sft. My general sets me up with his subs and I pay them direct (lets you use cash for better deals). He charges me his time only for what he does. I am doing a 1221 sft add on to my house right now. I did have some quotes from 179 to 200 sft.

Schiada76
01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
If you found a good general that does not mark up every price of every sub he uses you could do it for around 100 sft. My general sets me up with his subs and I pay them direct (lets you use cash for better deals). He charges me his time only for what he does. I am doing a 1221 sft add on to my house right now. I did have some quotes from 179 to 200 sft.
That sounds like a bankrupt GC to me.:eek:

YeLLowBoaT
01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Something is not right there... I would looking into his Lic INS and bond... I would bet that atleast 1 of the 3 is not up to par or all 3 are fake.
In CA you need to make sure your ass is covered 6 ways from sunday.

tcook33
01-31-2007, 03:42 PM
What's the point of being a GC then? That's what they do. They MANAGE the project. If he's not making $$$ off the subs, then there must me a pretty hefty management fee....or just "cost plus".