PDA

View Full Version : WATER IN THE OIL

Kerny
05-06-2003, 07:22 AM
CAN WATER GET IN THE OIL FROM THE WATER INJECTION LINES CONNECTED TO THE HEADERS. I REPLACED ALL THE TOP END GASKETS INCLUDING THE HEAD GASKETS AND WATER IS STILL GETTING THE ENGINE. MY NEXT QUESS WOULD BE THE TIMING COVER.
THANKS FOR REPLIES
ANTHONY

Blown 472
05-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Or the corners of the intake, didn't you have some nasty timming cover?

Kerny
05-06-2003, 07:39 AM
I PUT THE RTV GASKET GOOP IN THE CONER OF THE INTAKE. THE TIMING COVER IS PRETTY RUSTED IN THE WATER CAMBERS BUT WATER IS STANDING IN THE CHAMBERS???????? IN IS NOT ALL DRAINED OUT. I DONT KNOW IF IT IS LEAKING UNDER PRESSURE OR WHAT. I RAN THE BOAT FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST NIGHT AND DISCOVERED AROUND 5 QTS OF WATER IN THE ENGINE.

Blown 472
05-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Can you presurise the cooling system with air, pull the plugs and listen to find the leak?? you wont need much air. If you timming cover is junk it can leak water into the motor, get a new one, you can get them at the dealer.

Kerny
05-06-2003, 08:08 AM
I WILL TRY THE AIR TEST WHEN I GET HOME. I WILL MOST LIKELY CHANGE THE TIMING COVER ANYWAY FOR NO WORRIES. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THEY RUN $$$.
THANKS
ANTHONY

Blown 472
05-06-2003, 08:11 AM
No clue, if you are in doubt buy a new one, no telling what shape a junk yard one would be in.
Check out fordpartsonline.com, or five star ford.
[ May 06, 2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

Kerny
05-06-2003, 08:13 AM
I HAVE NO PROBLEMS GETTING A NEW ONE. WHATS MORE MONEY IN A MONEY PIT. :cool:

Blown 472
05-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Kerny:
I HAVE NO PROBLEMS GETTING A NEW ONE. WHATS MORE MONEY IN A MONEY PIT. :cool: ding.

05-06-2003, 09:45 AM
Kerny:
CAN WATER GET IN THE OIL FROM THE WATER INJECTION LINES CONNECTED TO THE HEADERS. I REPLACED ALL THE TOP END GASKETS INCLUDING THE HEAD GASKETS AND WATER IS STILL GETTING THE ENGINE. MY NEXT QUESS WOULD BE THE TIMING COVER.
THANKS FOR REPLIES
ANTHONY Dump the caps, indicates yelling and we aren't that hard of hearing. :D Answer to your ?? is yes, under certain conditions. If you have a high overlap cam at low engine speed the engine will suck water into the exhaust ports and go passed the rings. The cure is #1) not run low rpms [not practical] #2)get rid of the big cam [not fun] #3) cut off the water to the headers at low rpm, say below 2K. This can be done several ways from a stiffer spring in the water valve, a manual water valve or a Banderlog water control box. or if you can get away with running the headers dry this may be the best and cheapest solution.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-06-2003, 10:25 AM
stupid question. are you running a valley pan or real intake gaskets? if you have the valley pan that is your problem. if not turn the water off going to the headers and run them and see if you still have the same problem. water in oil is serious business. do you have a thermostat or is your cooling system free flowing. if you have any restrictions in the discharge block pressures can rise as high as 40 psi. enough to make any head gasket leak. try putting a cheap pressure guage on your intake to measure water pressure. anything over 15-20 psi is too high

Sleek-Jet
05-06-2003, 01:28 PM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
stupid question. are you running a valley pan or real intake gaskets? if you have the valley pan that is your problem. OK, whats the deal with the turkey pan gaskets in boat engines?? I've seen a few posts and was wondering if anyone had an explanation, other than "they don't work".
Thanks

gnarley
05-06-2003, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sleek-Jet:
OK, whats the deal with the turkey pan gaskets in boat engines?? I've seen a few posts and was wondering if anyone had an explanation, other than "they don't work".
Thanks
I think it has something to do with water pressure. And if I remember right those Turkey pans are not made of stainless & would have the ability to corrode & leak under pressure.

lovemyultra
05-06-2003, 06:59 PM
I think I paid about 80 bucks for one

Kerny
05-07-2003, 02:55 PM
i am running the gaskets not the valley pan. i am waitning for the rain to stop to see if the water injectors are my problem.
thanks to all
Anthony

dgie
05-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Yes, it is possible to get water in the engine through the water injectors. I had to pull my heads twice and drain the motor because of this. The problem is you need to have a pressure valve between your water oulet from the intake and your headers. You can get it from CP Performance, they gave me a diagram to help me set up my water lines, I had them wrong also, ask for Mike at CP he is a great guy. Then you need to run the engine at idle and turn the gate valve of the exiting water from the boat just enough to get the headers to steam any more at idle will create a buildup of water in the headers and suck it through the exhaust. Hope this helps I learned this the hard way, thank god my engine has been forgiving.

TahitiSteve
05-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Please forgive me if my thoughts are way off I'm pretty new to this stuff.
He said he had 5 extra quarts of water, any reversion water would be getting into the cylinders then past the rings, which makes me speculate that it's not a reversion problem (that much and he would have hydrolocked the engine).
I just finished rebuilding my 302 and dumped water in it one of the times I had to tear back into it and reassemble (due to getting 1 chevy lifter with my ford lifters, and then my 1st cam was too hot, didn't have enough vacumn to idle in gear, barely ran at 31 advanced).
I think my problem was that I didn't use enough sealant on the thru timing cover water pump bolts, though it also could have been the intake, I redid that too, and stopped my water problem.
I think I remember reading in another of your posts that you're running a 460 ford? No idea if the water pump/timing cover have a similar setup on that engine, but just figured I would point out the possibility since pulling a few bolts and slapping some sealer on them is a lot easier than ripping the cover back off.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-12-2003, 11:28 PM
run your headers dry then check the stick for water.